Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

My interior lights went out!

13K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Glenn's HC 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am definetly a newbee on the 300C forums but I need some help. I noticed that the following things happened:
- My interior lights went out, all of the overhead lights.
- The lights behind the analog clock went out as well as the lights associated with the temp controll.
- My trunk pop does not work! It doesn't matter if I use the fob or the button on the dash.

I looked at some of the fuses in the trunk as well as the fuses under the dash and I couldn't find any that were blown? All of the other things, NAV/HID/PARK/dash lights around the spedo work fine. Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas what it might be?

#2 ·
Don't have any good ideas at the moment... will have to check my manual later tonight or tomorrow... but it sure sounds like it would be a fuse. However, I would expect the dash and interior lights to be on separate fuses off the top of my head. You must've pulled the back seat and opened the trunk manually to look there... good thinking.

Oh... and Welcome to posting on the forum! Glad to have you here.

#3 ·
GoofyTimL said:
Don't have any good ideas at the moment... will have to check my manual later tonight or tomorrow... but it sure sounds like it would be a fuse. However, I would expect the dash and interior lights to be on separate fuses off the top of my head. You must've pulled the back seat and opened the trunk manually to look there... good thinking.

Oh... and Welcome to posting on the forum! Glad to have you here.
Hey thanks! I had to climb into the trunk through the back seat, it was a little tight but overall things worked out ok. I cant figure it out though. Now that i actaully think about it I think it might have happened when I turned my radio up to full. Its sounds really messed up but I don't think that I have ever turned it up all the way and when I did I thought it cut out for just a sec and that thats when I noticed it. I am going to take it in on Monday but if i can avoid sitting at the dealer I am ok with that.

#4 · (Edited)

#5 ·
Does your gauge cluster light up or is it off like the rest of the interior lights? You say the radio turns on, but not playing right?
Can you start the car?

#6 ·
FreebirdSRT said:
Does your gauge cluster light up or is it off like the rest of the interior lights? You say the radio turns on, but not playing right?
Can you start the car?
Hey thanks for some of the ideas guys. The gauge cluster lights up just fine. It runs and drives just fine. The only problems that I am seeing are the ones that i have listed above. I have removed basically all of the fuses to see if maybe one poped but they all look ok. I am going to keep trying different things today to see if I can maybe figure it out.

#7 ·
Long

Deltasonik said:
Hey guys,

I am definetly a newbee on the 300C forums but I need some help. I noticed that the following things happened:
- My interior lights went out, all of the overhead lights.
- The lights behind the analog clock went out as well as the lights associated with the temp controll.
- My trunk pop does not work! It doesn't matter if I use the fob or the button on the dash.

I looked at some of the fuses in the trunk as well as the fuses under the dash and I couldn't find any that were blown? All of the other things, NAV/HID/PARK/dash lights around the spedo work fine. Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas what it might be?
I'm a newbie too- like just now!! I read your post and had to reply because I have had the exact same problem. Happened around Xmas time- same thing- no interior lights, no trunk pop with remote or interior switch, no turn signals lights inside(signals were working though), but everything else worked. Took it into the dealer- they had it for a week while I went away. Picked it up when i got back- they had replaced a fuse in the under hood fuse box. Drove for an hour and boom- by the time I got home the fuse had blown again. Got stuck in the driveway due to ice & snow & then had to crawl in thru the back seat in the dark (no interior lights remember) and drag 3 suitcases out because I couldn't reach the emergency trunk release. Took it back to the dealer- they had it for 3 days- I let the mechanic drive it home to make sure it was fixed. They had been on the phone with Chrysler engineering and decided to replace the fuse with some kind of circuit breaker. Haven't had a problem since but they advised me to return before 60,000km warranty was up and have the breaker removed and replaced again with the fuse. They feel the breaker might be hard on the system. They were akso hoping that by using the breaker, perhaps whatever was causing the fuse to blow would fail completely.I am taking the car in tomorrow to have the fuse put back in and also my cruise control will not engage. I don't know whether this is related or not. A very frustrating problem as the dealer has no idea what the problem is and I live an hour out of town, so service is a pain in the neck.

Hope this helps, and would appreciate any input as to the status of your repair. Is your problem solved???

Bert
Love my 300C

#8 ·
I don't think I have ever heard of a more ridiculous way to address a problem. Replace a fuse with a breaker? Make sure you return before the warranty is up as the breaker may be hard on the system? And now they will put the fuse back in. So all this time, the problem has just been masked. In the meantime, you have been piling up the miles, so even if there is no resolution for the underlying problem, the vehicle has more wear and tear. If the vehicle can't be fixed, they will be able to give you less for a replacement with the additional miles on it.

Now, you are going back to square one.

I would have told them to keep the vehicle until they found the problem. Then the clock would have kept ticking at their expense as opposed to yours. They would have been forced to address it on a timely basis.

#9 ·
jeepgrady said:
I don't think I have ever heard of a more ridiculous way to address a problem. Replace a fuse with a breaker? Make sure you return before the warranty is up as the breaker may be hard on the system? And now they will put the fuse back in. So all this time, the problem has just been masked. In the meantime, you have been piling up the miles, so even if there is no resolution for the underlying problem, the vehicle has more wear and tear. If the vehicle can't be fixed, they will be able to give you less for a replacement with the additional miles on it.

Now, you are going back to square one.

I would have told them to keep the vehicle until they found the problem. Then the clock would have kept ticking at their expense as opposed to yours. They would have been forced to address it on a timely basis.
I agree. I am very frustrated. The problem is- I can't be without a vehicle, and they just absolutely refuse to supply a courtesy car. I would have to rent a car. I'll keep you posted as to what happens tomorrow.

#10 ·
Bert said:
I agree. I am very frustrated. The problem is- I can't be without a vehicle, and they just absolutely refuse to supply a courtesy car. I would have to rent a car. I'll keep you posted as to what happens tomorrow.

Go to another fricking dealer...NOW!!!!

For those of us with '05's...the free loaner is a Chrysler offering, not the dealer.

Nevermind the half-@$$ 'repair'!!

#11 · (Edited)
Bert said:
I'm a newbie too- like just now!! I read your post and had to reply because I have had the exact same problem. Happened around Xmas time- same thing- no interior lights, no trunk pop with remote or interior switch, no turn signals lights inside(signals were working though), but everything else worked. Took it into the dealer- they had it for a week while I went away. Picked it up when i got back- they had replaced a fuse in the under hood fuse box. Drove for an hour and boom- by the time I got home the fuse had blown again. Got stuck in the driveway due to ice & snow & then had to crawl in thru the back seat in the dark (no interior lights remember) and drag 3 suitcases out because I couldn't reach the emergency trunk release. Took it back to the dealer- they had it for 3 days- I let the mechanic drive it home to make sure it was fixed. They had been on the phone with Chrysler engineering and decided to replace the fuse with some kind of circuit breaker. Haven't had a problem since but they advised me to return before 60,000km warranty was up and have the breaker removed and replaced again with the fuse. They feel the breaker might be hard on the system. They were akso hoping that by using the breaker, perhaps whatever was causing the fuse to blow would fail completely.I am taking the car in tomorrow to have the fuse put back in and also my cruise control will not engage. I don't know whether this is related or not. A very frustrating problem as the dealer has no idea what the problem is and I live an hour out of town, so service is a pain in the neck.

Hope this helps, and would appreciate any input as to the status of your repair. Is your problem solved???

Bert
Love my 300C
Hey Bert,

Sounds like you were having a difficult time with this. The only issues that I was having were these:
-Backlight behind the analog clock went out
-Trunk pop stopped working/remote or on the dash
-Lights around the gear shifter (on the counsel by the cup holder) stopped working
-No interior lights at all (interior = just the regualr lights that light the cabin)

The radio works/lights up just fine..drives runs just fine. Everything else is just fine.

This was all that I noticed was happening, there could be more things but I haven't really noticed. What I did notice (missed it before) was that fuse #5 under the hood (25amp clear) was blown. So I replaced it and everything worked! All was good right? Not exactly. I canceled my appointment at the dealer becasue I thought it was going to be ok. The next day I was driving to work and I noticed that everything went out again. The fuse must have blown again but why? I noticed that fuse # 5 was tied into the HID headlight washers. Does your C have them? I replaced the fuse and everything was good again but I wanted to try the winshield washers. As soon as I hit the button to engage the sprayers, the fuse blew again. The problem has to be with this. Its weird because so many things are tied into this fuse that are completly unrelated to the headlight washers. So I am going to drop the car off today and give them this new knowledge and hopefully they will be able to fix it. I am not going to take the car back until they do, becasue to my knowledge I am going to get a free rental. Hoepfully it will fix the prob, keep me updated if you find anything out.

#12 ·
No Go on Fuse issue

Deltasonik said:
Hey Bert,

Sounds like you were having a difficult time with this. The only issues that I was having were these:
-Backlight behind the analog clock went out
-Trunk pop stopped working/remote or on the dash
-Lights around the gear shifter (on the counsel by the cup holder) stopped working
-No interior lights at all (interior = just the regualr lights that light the cabin)

The radio works/lights up just fine..drives runs just fine. Everything else is just fine.

This was all that I noticed was happening, there could be more things but I haven't really noticed. What I did notice (missed it before) was that fuse #5 under the hood (25amp clear) was blown. So I replaced it and everything worked! All was good right? Not exactly. I canceled my appointment at the dealer becasue I thought it was going to be ok. The next day I was driving to work and I noticed that everything went out again. The fuse must have blown again but why? I noticed that fuse # 5 was tied into the HID headlight washers. Does your C have them? I replaced the fuse and everything was good again but I wanted to try the winshield washers. As soon as I hit the button to engage the sprayers, the fuse blew again. The problem has to be with this. Its weird because so many things are tied into this fuse that are completly unrelated to the headlight washers. So I am going to drop the car off today and give them this new knowledge and hopefully they will be able to fix it. I am not going to take the car back until they do, becasue to my knowledge I am going to get a free rental. Hoepfully it will fix the prob, keep me updated if you find anything out.

OK- I got my car back tonight

The cruise control is fixed- it was a faulty brake switch (warranty)

They handed me an extra fuse and a circuit breaker ' cause they can't find the problem. I drove home and the fuse held- (tried the headlight washers Deltasonik and all worked well without the fuse popping). I can only hope that the fuse blows again so that I can take it to a different dealer before 60,000 (45,800 km on her now)

What do you think guys?? Would there be any point in me taking it to another dealer now if the fuse doesn't blow?? I'm just afraid now that it might blow later on down the road (past warranty) and I'm left to whistle.

Opinions welcome

Bert
Still Love my 300C
Cool Vanilla

#13 ·
i had a similar problem...
-a/c, defrost buttons dont work and dont light up
-my analog clock is dead, no light and doesnt even let me change the time

today i replaced the fuses and still doesnt work so now i guess ima give in and take it to the dealer and btw my trunk pop still works

#14 ·
bigrich07 said:
i had a similar problem...
-a/c, defrost buttons dont work and dont light up
-my analog clock is dead, no light and doesnt even let me change the time

today i replaced the fuses and still doesnt work so now i guess ima give in and take it to the dealer and btw my trunk pop still works
Got my car back from the dealer. I had a broken headlight washer motor that was blowing fuses. Replaced for free all is well with the 3 Hundo.

#15 ·
Bert said:
OK- I got my car back tonight

The cruise control is fixed- it was a faulty brake switch (warranty)

They handed me an extra fuse and a circuit breaker ' cause they can't find the problem. I drove home and the fuse held- (tried the headlight washers Deltasonik and all worked well without the fuse popping). I can only hope that the fuse blows again so that I can take it to a different dealer before 60,000 (45,800 km on her now)

What do you think guys?? Would there be any point in me taking it to another dealer now if the fuse doesn't blow?? I'm just afraid now that it might blow later on down the road (past warranty) and I'm left to whistle.

Opinions welcome

Bert
Still Love my 300C
Cool Vanilla
Possible Lemon Law actions here. Do you have that up north?

#16 ·
Take your car back and just leave it there .They Gotta give u a good loan a car this is policy!!! Read your manual ! Also sounds like a good lemon law case or trade the car in . Lets face it a 25 amp fuse carries alot of current and you dont wanna be on fire at the side of the road!!! Try a new dealer .Bitch Bitch Bitch!!! "THe sore Thumb always gets the Band-Aid"!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.