Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’ve been reading this forum a while. I got my brilliant black 300C on the 9th as a birthday/Christmas present from my parents. While driving to their house on Christmas day I got hit just before a toll plaza on the highway. A black dodge Durango was in the far right lane, I was in the far left lane. The Durango hit a puddle, came across two lanes, and hit my passenger side pushing me through cones and into oncoming traffic. I regained control and pulled into the toll plaza parking lot with the other driver. Turns out the other driver worked at the toll plaza, had no insurance, and was driving on a Puerto Rican learners permit without anyone else in the car. I waited 5 hours for FHP to show up. I have a dent on my fender, my rear door is scratched and the part by the handle is dented in, and there is a gash on the fender by where the door closes. There are also some scratches on the front from cones and a piece underneath broke off.

I have uninsured motorist coverage, so I only have to pay my deductible. I got my car into the shop today by luck, as they are actually booked solid through January. They said damage was about $1300. As a rental I got the new Dodge Ram with a 5.7L Hemi :)

Anyone else here get into a relatively minor accident like this and get repairs? The body shop I have my car at is a good one, but I love my car and am really worried it won’t look the same.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Qjr, what rotten luck for Christmas Day. And what a sad story for your first post.:(

The damage sounds cosmetic rather than structural. Your 300C will soon be back to its Brilliant Black self.

Pls. post some pics when your car is out of the hospital.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had an minor accident with my 300 a few months ago a business pick-up truck hit my rear bumper at a red light. The guy driving was at a complete stop and went to reach over and foot slid off of his brake and hit me only causing 400+ dollars in damage. Right now I have 950 dollars worth of damage on my 300. My front lower bumper has to be redone due to parkinf to close up on a parking lot divder at the supermarket, plus my lower rocker panel cover need to be replaced, plus someone hit my front passenger dorr with their door. I will be taking my car back to the dealership collision center to be repaired in which they have done a great job at reparing my rear bumper. But will not do until the weather breaks for my 300 is in the garage for the winter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In your state is insurance mandatory and if so is the fine for no insurance more than the cost of the premium, thus making it more expensive to not have insurance than to have it?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would beat the crap out of him and leave. after all, he had no insurance :) that sucks... no crashes here *knocking on wood* but let me tell you something, is the resistance on the paint on this car weak?? I washed and waxed 2 days ago, man, I've just had the car 1 month and i washed it 2 weeks ago and did not notice this: I have so many rock chips all over my hood, my windshield, head lights... WOW... I mean, I travel the SAME roads even same lanes and same speed as I did prior to getting this car, and let me tell you I would get rock chips but non as bad or noticeable as the ones on the 300C. The ones on the headlights almost went through, then I touch the cover, have you noticed how flimsy it is??? its like a cheap bendable thin plastic :( usually headlights are thick and hard... oh well, I just hope it doesn't crack with the wind pressure and all, the diameter on the chips are small but they are deep, the ones on the paint are DOWN to the metal :( the one on the winshield its pretty deep also, all of that in just 2 weeks :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
These cars do come with some thinly applied paint. I just read in a trade magazine that the paint thickness on todays cars is half the thickness compared to 10 years ago. The reason- to save money and to cut the drying time down. Also these water born paints that they are using is just plain terrible.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Tha187um said:
I would beat the crap out of him and leave. after all, he had no insurance :) that sucks... no crashes here *knocking on wood* but let me tell you something, is the resistance on the paint on this car weak?? I washed and waxed 2 days ago, man, I've just had the car 1 month and i washed it 2 weeks ago and did not notice this: I have so many rock chips all over my hood, my windshield, head lights... WOW... I mean, I travel the SAME roads even same lanes and same speed as I did prior to getting this car, and let me tell you I would get rock chips but non as bad or noticeable as the ones on the 300C. The ones on the headlights almost went through, then I touch the cover, have you noticed how flimsy it is??? its like a cheap bendable thin plastic :( usually headlights are thick and hard... oh well, I just hope it doesn't crack with the wind pressure and all, the diameter on the chips are small but they are deep, the ones on the paint are DOWN to the metal :( the one on the winshield its pretty deep also, all of that in just 2 weeks :(

The way to counteract this is to leave plenty of room between you and the guy in front of you. It seems that everyone has to ride up your ass all the time. I leave plenty of room in front. As a result, I get very few chips on all my cars.
Of course, you always get the chips from the ass-hole 18 wheeeler on the highway without mud flaps.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune Qjr, but happy that no one was hurt and that you decided to join us! Happier new year to you...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Minor accident
Well Qjr count your blessings, I had a 300m before my 300c, I am a soldier in Germany, an one early morning things started as usual, argued with my wife and was really mad on the way out to the car. The weather sucked and had been for a few days. I was really really really madd. Cursing I didn’t pay attention to the road as the curves were getting sharper and sharper and the weather was getting worse. I knew the road and I paid the instruments no attention as I was losing traction. When I realize I was out of control; I was spinning out of control, asking god not to let me hit any on coming traffic, or on coming pedestrians. I slid off the road mowing down trees- and I said to myself in a calm quiet voice this is really gonna hurt, so I braced myself for the impacted. I was right- breaking my neck instantly, or should I say exploding one of my spinal vertebra c-5 I believe. My new car was less then two months old. One side crushed from the impacted, the other side beading water bubbles from the fresh wax. The impact, which hit just behind the door latch of the drivers side was incredible breaking and creasing the side and under belly and top half of the car. I tried to brace my self holding firmly to the steering wheel as I was moving I didn’t realize how bad I was hurt, I thought it funny because I thought of myself dieing in battle to be honest with you not in a car wreck. I tried to keep calm because shock would set in; I tried to unlatch my seat belt but couldn’t use my left arm. Had no real heavy bleeding, no major wounds I was down in a gully of the road, and it was early morning- sparks were flying because the rain was hitting the now open dash, some one came out and as he came to the door he asked was I was ok I said hell no and started laughing, he pulled me out through the passenger side by my neck and shoulders, and laid me down next to the sparking car, I said hell I’m going to burn up when the car explodes ain’t this a b&^^%h, oddly I couldn’t move, my mobility was very very weak. I was hurt and now I sensed it. Long story short- two operations, hip graf and some titanium and the will to survive and a lot of luck; I am back, ready and able to keep serving my country until I can’t. Bro you can buy another car, as long as you have full coverage ;-}, it is truly not that serious. It’s a car, this year it’s the 300c, and next year it’s the rims you just added. You have your health and you can share it with love ones. You can buy another 300c Happy New Year to everyone

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
max, hope you learned NEVER to leave home angry again. Glad to hear you've fully recovered, you are very fortunate! We never know what destiny has in store for us... Be happy and stay safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Max, wow. Glad to hear your ok after all that. I know my car accident could have been alot worse, and am very thankful no one was hurt. Shortly after i made my post I learned that my minor car accident may actually have prevented me from being in a major one. Near my parents house, on the road I would have been on at the time i would have been on it, there was a head on collision at ~60mph. At least one of those drivers died. I know in the grand scheme of things a car is meaningless. Your post and the accident i could have been in certainly exemplify this fact. Sorry if my post came off materialistic.

Have a safe and happy new year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts