Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like it, I remember seeing one on a Benz like this a few years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Growing on me...I liked the VIP one, but this one is subtle enough to have me looking a little harder. Great pics, thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
I like it better than the VIP version... the other seemed more like an eyelid on the window (too thin and too close to the glass). However, for no more plastic, paint and adhesive than it is... I still have a hard time justifying $200 for it. I understand there's been development costs and labor and profit margin, etc., but I'd be a lot more interested if the cost were 50-60% the stated value... or the $200 was for a pair... roof wing, and trunk deck spoiler. Yeah... I'm cheap!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
524 Posts
Do you realize that these come painted to match the car? I challange you to find a reputable shop to merely prep/paint (2) composite spoilers for $200, not taking into consideration the product itself. Our Group Buy currently has 2 buyers for both spoilers, just need 4 more to get to the 10% discount. Only 2 days left.

www.22elite.com/GroupBuy

Regards,
James DeCuir
www.22elite.com



GoofyTimL said:
I like it better than the VIP version... the other seemed more like an eyelid on the window (too thin and too close to the glass). However, for no more plastic, paint and adhesive than it is... I still have a hard time justifying $200 for it. I understand there's been development costs and labor and profit margin, etc., but I'd be a lot more interested if the cost were 50-60% the stated value... or the $200 was for a pair... roof wing, and trunk deck spoiler. Yeah... I'm cheap!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
aspendog said:
Do you realize that these come painted to match the car? I challange you to find a reputable shop to merely prep/paint (2) composite spoilers for $200, not taking into consideration the product itself. Our Group Buy currently has 2 buyers for both spoilers, just need 4 more to get to the 10% discount. Only 2 days left.
James...

Yes, of course I recognize that you're talking about color matching to the car. AND... I recognize that this is a niche market, which is presumed to garner premium pricing because you don't expect to sell them to everyone... I think the number of "buyers" to date in this group buy illustrates that point. AND as a chemist working in a plastics plant I know something about the cost of the material and how it translates to a finished product... and even the processing of composite materials... and paint per unit, etc.

I was not/am not challenging as to whether I, or anyone can find it cheaper anywhere... rather I simply was commenting that you might generate more interest, and more purchases (group buy or not) with less of a mark-up over mfg cost. Okay... maybe $200 for both spoilers would represent a loss per unit... but I honestly doubt it. $300 per pair may be a "deal" and would be better than the current group price and discounts on just the roof spoiler.

Only you can do the math as to the total profit in selling a few items at a premium price vs. more (maybe even a kaboodle) at a lesser, more attractive price. The risk in attaining a cheaper price via "will there be more in the group buy" may be a contributing factor to the number NOT jumping on board to date.

I honestly wish you luck with your group buy, and thanks for offering it at any discount. I'm also not going to run out and buy some knock-off product (if there were any) at a Big-Box-Mart or Auto store that lies at the other extreme of "cheap" in both cost, materials and likely preformance. In my mind, "performance" is first, but near equal with value for the cost... which is why I own a 300C!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I dont know but 200 isn't a bad price for that roof wing. It goes with the body and looks great. I dont know where you've seen spoiler roof wing combo's for even 300 painted.... I dont know i guess some people would rather buy a quality product that will last them a long time and look great on the car than get some cheap ugly looking product. Its like comparing a Rolex to a Seiko, they both tell time but you get what you pay for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
524 Posts
I see where you are coming from but unfortunatly these are not mass-produced and I have no control over the actual mfg. cost, we are simply a reseller (at minimal margins I might add).

GoofyTimL said:
Yes, of course I recognize that you're talking about color matching to the car. AND... I recognize that this is a niche market, which is presumed to garner premium pricing because you don't expect to sell them to everyone... I think the number of "buyers" to date in this group buy illustrates that point. AND as a chemist working in a plastics plant I know something about the cost of the material and how it translates to a finished product... and even the processing of composite materials... and paint per unit, etc.

I was not/am not challenging as to whether I, or anyone can find it cheaper anywhere... rather I simply was commenting that you might generate more interest, and more purchases (group buy or not) with less of a mark-up over mfg cost. Okay... maybe $200 for both spoilers would represent a loss per unit... but I honestly doubt it. $300 per pair may be a "deal" and would be better than the current group price and discounts on just the roof spoiler.

Only you can do the math as to the total profit in selling a few items at a premium price vs. more (maybe even a kaboodle) at a lesser, more attractive price. The risk in attaining a cheaper price via "will there be more in the group buy" may be a contributing factor to the number NOT jumping on board to date.

I honestly wish you luck with your group buy, and thanks for offering it at any discount. I'm also not going to run out and buy some knock-off product (if there were any) at a Big-Box-Mart or Auto store that lies at the other extreme of "cheap" in both cost, materials and likely preformance. In my mind, "performance" is first, but near equal with value for the cost... which is why I own a 300C!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
IMO, I like the one from VIP better.
I dont like the rounded edges, i like how the VIP is squared to the edge.
But all in all, its a nice add to the vehicle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
Ok... Now I understand where you're coming from more clearly. As a reseller, the major mark-up is not yours and thus your resell margins are tight. Clearly understood.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I agree about the "not mass produced" statement... a pattern and/or mold had to be made to produce even one (they aren't whittled by hand), and once done the production cost per subsequent pieces goes down significantly with each part produced. So the supplier of the original underlying composite part (and perhaps original painter) is the one who is making the more "significant" margins. That's why it's tough on those called "middle men."
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
There is no "mass market" for these items. How many Buick LeSabres do you see with mods? Our car is just Chrysler's 4 door sedan. These type of accessories will never appear in a big box store.

Of the 4000 enthusiasts here, perhaps a handful will put this mod on their car. Personally, I think $200.00 is a good price. I doubt if the frabricator and the retailer are making much margin on such a limited low volume item.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HHMMMM, didn`t mean to get something ugly started here. I just wanted to show off my wing. I`m sure we all have bought something that we thought was over priced but bought it anyway. I think this was a good price compared to other things I`ve bought for my car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
524 Posts
The roof wing is NOT overpriced (show me anything for less $$ on the market that comes paint matched) and it looks GREAT on your car. Keep up the good work.

Mack300 said:
HHMMMM, didn`t mean to get something ugly started here. I just wanted to show off my wing. I`m sure we all have bought something that we thought was over priced but bought it anyway. I think this was a good price compared to other things I`ve bought for my car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
Mack300... I certainly hope it was not, nor was I trying to be or make anything ugly... I DO like the way this roof wing looks (and said so)!

I was just asking questions about the cost, and making comment from my limited perspective. :) No offense meant or intended.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top