Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got a chance to change the oil on my (new to me) 2006 300C that I picked up a couple of weeks ago:

Kind of a minor adventure:

I was thwarted every time I wanted to change it in the past week--got stuck working late, then too dark out and/or too tired. Wanted to do it Saturday. Discovered my ramps (made of 1/2" steel stock by my dear departed grandfather and sturdy enough to hold the space shuttle) were too steep and would destroy the car's air dam if I used them. So a trip to Harbor Freight for ramps--these had a better slope, but the heavy RWD car would push them down the driveway instead of climbing them. Another trip to O'Reilly and bought some better ramps for only a couple dollars more. I like these--they are plastic too, like the cheapie HF ones, but wider and with rubber feet. But alas, the car still pushed them down my driveway, albeit a little different---the car would climb them a little, then shoot them out from under the front tires like watermelon seeds.

So another trip out to Lowe's for something rubber that I could put under them and keep them from sliding. Wouldn't you know that the Lowe's employees I talked to claimed to NOT have any kind of rubber pad I could use in their entire cavernous store... So I wandered around through roofing, hardware, etc., having no luck. Finally happened across some recycled rubber entryway mats that looked tough enough to stop a small-caliber bullet for about $8/each. These did the trick and I was able to get the car to mount the ramps with no problem, but had to call it a night until Sunday, as getting dusk again.

Despite the dealer saying that he'd changed the oil per my request and me having an invoice with "oil changed per customer request" with no other info, I was skeptical. The oil didn't look bad when I checked it prior to purchase, but when I drained it, it was pretty dark.

Apparently Hercules had tightened the drain plug, as I had to rap the socket handle to break it loose. The filter was almost as bad and took some time to get to turn as well. Added 7 quarts of Valvoline Synpower full-synthetic (prefilled the filter before installation), turned the key, and had oil pressure almost instantly with no mechanical noise.

Driving it, the car feels more responsive on the synthetic (I use Mobil-1 on my older LHS, but the Valvoline was on sale) and oil pressure is slightly lower at idle and slightly higher at midrange RPMS. Seems to indicate a used-up, thickened oil was in there to me, or perhaps the wrong viscosity. (18PSI hot at 560RPM, [email protected]+ Motor is quiet, with only the very barest hint of the infamous "Hemi tick" that you have to really listen for at idle. So I'm overall pleased with the results.

:arms::arms::arms:

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I have had the same problem with the ramps shooting out from under the tires, I started hitting the ramps harder and faster which does the trick for me... you have to be a lot more confident in your ability to aim properly though haha.
My first oil change was bum because I only bought 5 quarts of oil thinking it would be enough and then had to take the scooter out in April (very cold here still) to go to the store. I for one couldn't believe how much oil our cars took, it really took me by surprise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the same problem with the ramps shooting out from under the tires, I started hitting the ramps harder and faster which does the trick for me... you have to be a lot more confident in your ability to aim properly though haha.
My first oil change was bum because I only bought 5 quarts of oil thinking it would be enough and then had to take the scooter out in April (very cold here still) to go to the store. I for one couldn't believe how much oil our cars took, it really took me by surprise.
Yeah, I bought a case of oil (6qts) then read the manual---it takes 7?! Back to the store to buy another.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Welcome aboard, Oblivion. I've known that state well. :D

I built my ramps out of layered 2x12s. They weigh about 40# each and don't move when I use 'em, whether it's the Ram or the C.

Word of caution - fill the filter and put five quarts in the crank case. Back it off the ramps and let it idle for a minute or so. Shut it off and let it sit. Check the level. I think you'll find it doesn't need more than about another quart. If you put seven quarts in it, you may find it over-full.

Get a Fumoto valve and you won't have to mess with another oil drain plug. The 1" nut on the K&N filter make that easier, too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I had the same problem with a set of ramps.
There is a very simple remedy for this

Instead of putting the ramps in front of the tires and drivinf foward up the ramps, put the ramps behind the front wheels and put the car in reverse and back the front wheels up on the ramps

·
Registered
257 Posts
Check this I use my 240sx 5quart PAN. First changing oil on the hemi, I only bought 5 quarts of purple royal for my 300c. Took off the plug... Hell came, didn't know it took 7 quarts sigh...Had to clean the whole garage with purple stuff and went back to the store and grab two more quarts of oil. :pat::pat::pat:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this I use my 240sx 5quart PAN. First changing oil on the hemi, I only bought 5 quarts of purple royal for my 300c. Took off the plug... Hell came, didn't know it took 7 quarts sigh...Had to clean the whole garage with purple stuff and went back to the store and grab two more quarts of oil. :pat::pat::pat:
Yeah, the pan I used had enough capacity, but it was close. I stared at it while it gushed out with the same look on my face as when you flush and the toilet water keeps rising and rising to the rim...

I know the car's broken in now--got my first MIL lamp on the way home from work--P0128. Was a relief to look it up and find out it's probably just a weak thermostat. It does seem to take a while longer than I expected to warm up fully. Oh well, needs a coolant flush anyway, so it'll get both this week.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had the same problem with a set of ramps.
There is a very simple remedy for this

Instead of putting the ramps in front of the tires and drivinf foward up the ramps, put the ramps behind the front wheels and put the car in reverse and back the front wheels up on the ramps
My ramps won't fit under the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts