Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I got a new he stuck because I needed it cuz the other one was broken. But ever since I've been having weird thermostat issues. I specifically requested the 180-degree t-stat and I matched up a serial number and that's what it was. But it's certainly not doing 180 degrees. I set the fan the kick on at like 185 wichita's and everything set up properly. But the readings are literally all over the place. Even in cold weather

On the highway it's a smooth 197. Idling it jumps all over the place. Sometimes it hangs out around the 199. Sometimes it's 201. And sometimes two or three. A few times it hit 215 but that was in the summer.

I tried burping it a few times in case of air bubbles but it doesn't seem like that's the issue because it doesn't overheat it just doesn't cool down to where it's supposed to..

A few times. Warm up to about 185 and the high fan Kicks On And while it blasting away on high I'm watching the temperature on the o d b slowly go up to 187. 190. 195. 199

And the fan is blasting the whole time.. I don't think it's the coolant either because if I turn on the interior Heath the temperature drops dramatically. If I leave the interior heat on long enough it sometimes gets down to 182

Although that could take a while. But even when it's hanging out at 199 or 203 if I turn on the heat it practically immediately drops down to 195 before slowly trickling down..

So basically I have no idea what's going on with it. I don't know if it's a faulty thermostat but it doesn't seem like that could be the issue. It doesn't seem like the coolant could be the issue. The fan certainly isn't the issue.. and I don't think it could be the wrong thermostat because evens out at different temperatures all the time. And it certainly takes longer to go from 180 degrees to 200 then it does to go from room temp to 180

But it's definitely not keeping it colder..

I'm finally it definitely isn't that it's just the car and you can't keep it cool. Because with the previous thermostat that wasn't an issue.. Before it broke and had to be replaced the previous thermostat was able to keep it easily down at 195

And even this one is consistently at 197 if I'm driving on the highway.. Which also doesn't make any sense.. So any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Cuz I've tried and check everything that I can think of. The coolant runs. The heater core works. There shouldn't be any air bubbles on triple check.. the thermostat has to be working on some level because it doesn't overheat.. It just pick random temperatures to hang out on it sometimes..

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just bought the 180 t stat off of rock auto and it works flawlessly considering I have not bothered to reset the fans. Haven't seen it go over 195 yet. But I just changed it not long ago, so it's been cold weather driving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's what it sounds like to me. Sounds as if it's never fully closed or open. I would recommend replacing it. I got mine from dodge and haven't had any issues.
My broken one was behaving like that. It came out with the bottom half broken off and several holes in it. But a cheep replacement from rock auto works flawlessly. Your replacement may be defective though, it happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My broken one was behaving like that. It came out with the bottom half broken off and several holes in it. But a cheep replacement from rock auto works flawlessly. Your replacement may be defective though, it happens.
it's the labor cost to put a new one in that I don't like

I literally just paid to have it replaced

·
Registered
108 Posts
it's the labor cost to put a new one in that I don't like

I literally just paid to have it replaced
If you have a ten mm socket and maybe a screwdriver to pry it out, if you even have to pry it, you can change it yourself in like three minutes, for free.

Atleast if your car is like mine. Mine is an 05 with a 5.7, if yours has one of the v8's it's probably on top of the engine right up front under the top radiator hose. Super simple to swap, even easier than my antique cars, cause the gasket is formed onto the thermostat. Easiest home repair I can think of really. Just gotta top off your coolant after you install the new one and run your motor until it warms up and pumps fluid. Just don't take the cap off while it's hot, ot take the thermostat out while it's hot and under pressure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can easily test the thermostat. Pull it out and place in a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Right after it starts really boiling you should see the thermostat opening. Make sure to remove the rubber gasket before doing this and use some pliers to take it in and out of the pot. I test all mine now before installing cause I've had one or two that were bad initially. Also you mentioned you set the temps on when the fans kick on. Assuming you are using a tuner for this make sure you set both options, Fans kick on with AC on and Fans kick on with AC off. Ive made this mistake before and wondered why my temps were higher sometimes. Good luck.

Reactions: Greg N and TheKrell
1 - 11 of 11 Posts