Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, on my way into the city, the Nav system in my 05 300C started acting up briefly. This happened two or three times, and it fixed itself quickly. I didn't have any problems on the hour long drive home, nor on the drive into work this morning. But as I left the office, it kept trying to load for several minutes before displaying the Error message. I ejected the disk, and tried it again, but got the same results. It finally loaded after I left it out for several minutes (I also cranked up the AC thinking that maybe it was affected by the heat). But after stopping for gas, it wouldn't load again for several more minutes.

Anybody know if this is a known issue? I pulled the disk, I'm gonna see if I can dupe it on my computer at home (if not, I will try my computer at work which has dual DVD drives). I haven't had the disk out of the unit since I bought the car back in September, and it didn't look scratched or anything when I pulled it out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did you try cleaning it yet? Mine gave me an error one time a few months back. I popped it out and it had a very fine coat dust on it, almost looked like smoke. I wiped it off, put it back in and haven't had the error since.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try cleaning it yet? Mine gave me an error one time a few months back. I popped it out and it had a very fine coat dust on it, almost looked like smoke. I wiped it off, put it back in and haven't had the error since.
I had wiped it down two of the times I had pulled it out, but it didn't have any effect. So I gave it a more meticulous cleaning yesterday with a lens cleaning pad and dried it carefully, and that seems to have done the trick. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
It sounds like either your disk is bad or your drive itself is going bad with read errors. One way to trouble shoot this is to pull your disk and carefully carefully look at the surface of the disk for what would look like scratches or some dark oxide perhaps. If you see that do not put it back in the drive or the read head could be damaged. If you have a resource with another known good disk you could try that. If the error goes away your disk is bad, if the error stays then your drive would be bad. If you find your disk bad do not put it in another drive as it may be warped and then crash a good drive.
Caution is called for here. Sometimes people will touch the surface of the disk and contaminate it or lint will collect. Good luck with this and please be cautious.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had that problem. After trying multiple discs and still having the same problem, I had to have my Nav system replaced.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far, it's been working fine since I cleaned it. No problems driving around Saturday or on my commute to work today. I made a dupe at work as a backup, and that loaded properly when I tried it out just now. Hopefully, everything should be ok.

Thanks. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts