Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested my brother's Garmin and it displays elevation, longitude, and lattitude. It was kinda cool to learn that there is 350ft elevation from the bottom to the top of my road over about a mile length.

NE1 know if our NAV displays elevation.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
We have the Magellan Roadmate 700 and it shows elevation and ground speed along with lots of other cool info... name of road, county, town you're near, direction of travel... as well as Lat. and Long.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Accuracy

I have used various GPS units- CF card, Stand alone, Pocket PC coupled with or without blue tooth, here in the US and elsewhere in the world; GPS derived elevation figures are not as accurate or reliable as Barometric readings or digital elevation maps (DEM) derived from satellite imagery/altimetry and LIDAR. Apparently, direct elevation readings for most locations will be embarrassingly off. This is caused, in part, because the GPS definition of altitude does not refer to Mean Sea Level (MSL), but rather to a gravitational surface called the reference ellipsoid. Another contributing factor is the vertical distance triangulation from differences in timing of received radio waves at the antenna of the unit which are distorted due to ground reflections and atmospheric scattering.

To answer your question Re: elevation reading on the NAV unit, I cant recollect offhand but it may be available under system settings or some such on the NAV menu..

Jaydee

·
Registered
159 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
I tested my brother's Garmin and it displays elevation, longitude, and lattitude. It was kinda cool to learn that there is 350ft elevation from the bottom to the top of my road over about a mile length.

yes it does, go to system information (i think that is it). It willl display long, lat, number of stat's, and elevation. under trip info you can get average trip speed too + some other stuff i cannot remember

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not accurate at all:
in front of my house:

official level : 491m
300C Nav: 532m

so 41m (about 135ft) too high.

about the same at see level in Italy.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Well, all I can say is that during our Thanksgiving road trip our RoadMate 700 matched the "official" highway signs pretty well which indicated the elevation of the high spots we went through...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Roadmate

The Magellan Roadmate probably has the hard coded data in its map database and not deriving the elevation on the fly...If the former, then its not really "reading" the elevation in real time and if you found yourself airborne with your unit, the reading would be all wrong..

Jay

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
jaydee said:
The Magellan Roadmate probably has the hard coded data in its map database and not deriving the elevation on the fly...If the former, then its not really "reading" the elevation in real time and if you found yourself airborne with your unit, the reading would be all wrong..

Jay
Could be true I suppose... it's got a 20gig hard drive or something like that. Doubt I'll have it in an airplane though it has to be connected to a power source... no internal batteries. Therefore, unless I wear my videographer's battery belt (doubt that would make the TSB's safety check) it won't be making plane rides or taken on hikes! :biggrin:

Regardless of the absolute altitude above sea level, any of these should tell assess deltas in elevations relatively accurately shouldn't they? The jist of II Kings original post was a 350ft incline in "his" road over a mile's distance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes but

GoofyTimL said:
Could be true I suppose... it's got a 20gig hard drive or something like that. Doubt I'll have it in an airplane though it has to be connected to a power source... no internal batteries. Therefore, unless I wear my videographer's battery belt (doubt that would make the TSB's safety check) it won't be making plane rides or taken on hikes! :biggrin:

Regardless of the absolute altitude above sea level, any of these should tell assess deltas in elevations relatively accurately shouldn't they? The jist of II Kings original post was a 350ft incline in "his" road over a mile's distance.
That change in height, if calculated from the database rather than real time satellite readings may be correct... but it is useful to know the method by which these "readings" are obtained... As that web article mentions at the end - Make sure your life insurance is paid up before you use one of these units to land a private plane using the altitude readings :)

jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts