Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! - NAV unit from ebay - questions? - Doesn't work!

Just got a NAV unit I bought off of Ebay. Haven't hooked it up yet, but I must say that I am dissappointed that the disk I received was the "AB" version. And it is VERY SCRATCHED up to boot. Not happy about that.

I must admit that the verion disappointment is partly my fault as I never asked the seller which version it was and his picture of the disk was "blurry" and I couldn't make it out. I guess I hoped and assumed it would be the "AC" version. My mistake. But that DOES NOT excuse the horrible shape the disk is in. I am worried it may not even work properly.

My question is, has ANYBODY verified if a burned copy of the newer "AC" disk works in these units yet?? Just curious. ;)

Also, can somebody explain the date code to me?? The date code is: 2514, but there is another sticker which says the date of manufacture is 2004, AP, SEPTEMBER.

How does the date code correlate to this manufacture date? Is one of them wrong??

Also, what is the correct Part # for the REC Nav radios? Anybody know?

JFF:D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Jeff,
Unfortuantly I am returning the one that I got from ebay because I could not get it to start up, and the person I bought it from claimed that if your car does NOT come with the Navigation and you upgrade to it later, than you have to goto the dealer and ask them to program your car to make it work.
I never heard such a thing.
Well now im going to buy this one: (little nervous because its close to a G, but im gonna use my credit card incase of anything)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7986287070&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

even though its more expensive, only because it comes with the newest version CD and it comes with the bezel which I could not find.

If anyone has and questions, or comments about my soon to be purchase, let me know.

·
Registered
562 Posts
JustForFun said:
Just got a NAV unit I bought off of Ebay. Haven't hooked it up yet, but I must say that I am dissappointed that the disk I received was the "AB" version. And it is VERY SCRATCHED up to boot. Not happy about that.

I must admit that the verion disappointment is partly my fault as I never asked the seller which version it was and his picture of the disk was "blurry" and I couldn't make it out. I guess I hoped and assumed it would be the "AC" version. My mistake. But that DOES NOT excuse the horrible shape the disk is in. I am worried it may not even work properly.

My question is, has ANYBODY verified if a burned copy of the newer "AC" disk works in these units yet?? Just curious. ;)

Also, can somebody explain the date code to me?? The date code is: 2514, but there is another sticker which says the date of manufacture is 2004, AP, SEPTEMBER.

How does the date code correlate to this manufacture date? Is one of them wrong??

Also, what is the correct Part # for the REC Nav radios? Anybody know?

What seller did you buy your Nav unit from?

·
Registered
562 Posts
NautcaSprt6 said:
Jeff,
Unfortuantly I am returning the one that I got from ebay because I could not get it to start up, and the person I bought it from claimed that if your car does NOT come with the Navigation and you upgrade to it later, than you have to goto the dealer and ask them to program your car to make it work.
I never heard such a thing.
Well now im going to buy this one: (little nervous because its close to a G, but im gonna use my credit card incase of anything)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7986287070&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

even though its more expensive, only because it comes with the newest version CD and it comes with the bezel which I could not find.

If anyone has and questions, or comments about my soon to be purchase, let me know.
Hey, i'm not talking crap about the seller but I don't really trust that seller. I would check out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7986598783&category=38653&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1 cause I think someone on here has purchased a unit from this guy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
300Con23s said:
Hey, i'm not talking crap about the seller but I don't really trust that seller. I would check out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7986598783&category=38653&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1 cause I think someone on here has purchased a unit from this guy.

300Con23s,

Hey, that's funny! That is the same seller I bought my unit from!! In fact he is using the EXACT same pictures from my auction in this auction you just linked to!! I wonder if the unit he currently has for sale has a different label than what is shown in the pictures. Because the unit I "just" received has that EXACT same label - even down to the green sharpie mark in the upper right hand corner.

Whoever buys this unit will most likely get the "AB" version as well. And my disk came wrapped in "toilet paper"!! No jewel case - and ALL scratched up. I have to say that the head unit itself appears to be in pretty good shape without any noticeable damage other than a good collection of fingerprints all over the screen.:(

You can see the date code in the picture from his auction - "2514". But you can't see the other label that says the date of manufacture as September 2004. How does the date code eqaute to this date?? Can anybody break it down for me??

·
Registered
562 Posts
JustForFun said:
300Con23s,

Hey, that's funny! That is the same seller I bought my unit from!! In fact he is using the EXACT same pictures from my auction in this auction you just linked to!! I wonder if the unit he currently has for sale has a different label than what is shown in the pictures. Because the unit I "just" received has that EXACT same label - even down to the green sharpie mark in the upper right hand corner.

Whoever buys this unit will most likely get the "AB" version as well. And my disk came wrapped in "toilet paper"!! No jewel case - and ALL scratched up. I have to say that the head unit itself appears to be in pretty good shape without any noticeable damage other than a good collection of fingerprints all over the screen.:(

You can see the date code in the picture from his auction - "2514". But you can't see the other label that says the date of manufacture as September 2004. How does the date code eqaute to this date?? Can anybody break it down for me??

Thanks for the information. It seems like the seller is getting the units from wrecked cars. I'm not sure about the "2514" but the best person I can think of to ask is Resumespeed. The unit that you purchased doesn't seem that old if it was built in Sept 04. I've actually saw a April 2005 unit on eBay if anyone is interested (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ategory=38653&item=7985999095&sspagename=WDVW). And by the way, I do have a brand new AC disc I might be selling in the next few weeksl but im just waiting for the Naviplus mess to clear up so I could buy a new Nav unit.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, if you want to unload the "AC" disk now, let me know. Otherwise, I will explore other avenues in securing a newer version.

Let me know.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Why on earth would the nav disc be scratched? mine has never been out, no opportunity to get scratched. My car did not come with NAV and I bought mine off the forum from a member in supurb condition and it works perfectly. No dealer involvement or programming, I did it myself in the garage in under an hour. I love ebay but there are some charletons out there. Have you guys posted here Nav wanted.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Nav radio date code: "2514" = The 251st day of 2004 (September 8th)

Discs may still work ok even with a lot of scratches as long as they are not too deep. You will really not know until you spin it for a few hours and verify that no issues have cropped up. There is really NO excuse for a scratched disc as they are typically loaded into the units and left there. A trustworthy seller would have mentioned the fact that the disc was not "like new" and I can guarantee you that MOST sellers who regularly sell used nav units KNOW whether or not if their discs are the latest version. It is probably the most often asked question of sellers who do not specifically list the disc part # or show a clear photo of the disc. Some sellers will intentionally leave this information off so they can sell the older discs to unsuspecting buyers.

When buying a nav unit off Ebay buy with caution, as you would buying any item online. Don't be in a hurry, lots of units turn up every week and this trend will continue. As some of you have noted, make sure to check that you will be getting the latest "AC" version disc. Make sure the owners manual and antenna are also included. Try and find the NEWEST build date possible for the head unit. In my opinion Sept. 2004 is too old, almost a year. Look for units built in the past 6 months or less.

Look for sellers with "0" or near "0" negative feedbacks. I don't care how many "Positives" a seller has, just about EVERY negative means that someone was unhappy and that "someone" could be YOU in the future.

DO NOT publicly "advertise" the fact that you have or are going to be bidding on a particular item that is currently listed. It always amuses me to see posts on different message boards from people stating something like "I just bid on a brand new factory sealed xxxx unit on Ebay that looks like it is going to go really really cheap, the seller has no idea what it is worth, etc. etc., here's the URL..." Think about how this will affect that final selling price and whether or not YOU end up getting the item...

It is also important to note that you will NOT have any warranty at all (UNLESS the unit is purchased new from an authorized Mopar dealer). On used units, if not stated in the ad, get in writing that the seller will guarantee that the unit will not be DOA.

What to do with your "old" radio: My advice is to enclose it in a plastic bag and pack it away in a box (along with the bezel). Yes, you could sell it on Ebay or something and recoup a few dollars, but if you end up trading or selling your vehicle in the future in most situations you will be better off to reinstall the factory radio and sell the nav unit separately. If trading-in your car the value difference with the nav radio included will be neglible as with all add-on accessories or parts. If you happen to special order a new DCX vehicle in the next few years that happens to use the same nav radio you can delete that from the order list and save quite a bit by reinstalling the nav radio in the new vehicle.

REC nav unit part numbers

Head unit only:

p/n 56038646AL (latest)

Preceded by ...AF, AG, AH, AI, AJ, and AK. The last letter changes upward as revisions are released. Note that this revision method does not always apply the same way to other Mopar part numbers. Letter changes always designate a revision, but the revision may be something simple, something major, or even a change of suppliers for a particular part. And to make things even more confusing, some letters may be designated only for a specific model and may or may not be backward or forward compatible.

The exact same nav units are used in several late model Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep models, including the 300C, Magnum, Durango, Grand Cherokee and Commander. Vehicle-specific splash screens are triggered by coding in the BCM of the vehicle that the unit is installed in.

REC Mopar nav kit: (head unit, disc, manual, antenna)

p/n 82208653AC (MSRP $1795.00)

Center stack nav bezels:

p/n WX56DX9AA BLACK - MAGNUM $75.35
p/n 1CB331ZBAA SILVER - MAGNUM $75.35
p/n WX57DX911 BLACK - BASE 300 $75.35 (discontinued)
p/n 1AQ46AAAAA MINI CARBON LAMINATE - 300 TOURING $109.00
p/n XB311ZBAA SILVER - 300C $97.25

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ResumeSpeed,

Thank you so much for this VERY informative post!!! I think this info should be added to the Tech thread on the NAV also!!

You cleared up all the questions I had!!

I have emailed the seller telling him I want another disk to be exchanged for the scratched up one he sent me. We will see how he responds. I will let you all know.

Be wary of the sellers that ship their NAV disks wrapped in "toilet paper" without a jewel case - LIKE MINE DID!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just received the following in an email from the seller in my NAV auction in regards to replacing the scratched disk he originally sent me.:
I'LL SHIP ONE OUT TODAY. ED
That is pretty cool I think. Will update with what I receive when it comes in.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Did You install the Navigation yet.
I returned one that i bought off ebay because it needed a Pass Code, but the person I bought it said that it only needs a Pass Code if it is installed in the 2006 models. He also said it has to be programmed by the dealer. Is that True?
What year is your 300C?
Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK - I'm NOT happy! :(

I just installed the NAV and the radio works GREAT! But that is it.

I can NOT for the life of me get the unit to accept a CD. All it does is recycle the CD changer. I can hear it starting, running, stopping, and then starting all over again! Never does it prompt me to insert a disc, nor does it allow me to do so. But it keeps telling me there are no discs in the unit. Doh!

Also, I CANNOT get the unit to read the scratched to hell NAV disc that was sent. It keeps blinking between the warning (lawyer) screen and a message about
"Disk read error -can't read disk. Check the disk."
I tried cleaning the disk the best I could, but it didn't help.

Andybody got any ideas?? The seller said he shipped me another (hopefully in BETTER shape) NAV disk today, but what is up with the CD changer? Am I doing something wrong??

HELP!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Jeff,
Your putting the Disc in the wrong slot.
Look at the bottom of the unit where it says Navigation Disc, that opens up, it goes in there.
There should be a little tab to the left of the words Navigation Disc.
It goes in there.
Now you will be alot Happier.
Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ummmmm...that IS where I put the NAV disk. I had to remove the little cover to insert it. I am confident I have it in the correct slot. It simply won't read it. It says "DVD-ROM error". I assume it is because the disk is so badly scratched up.

Afterall, the TOP slot won't let me put a disk in it at all. That is the slot for the CD changer. It just keeps spinning over and over and over and over - NEVER prompting me to insert a disk.

In fact, If I power up the unit, the CD changer just kicks in and keeps spinning , starting over and over until it says "Disk Error". It then stops for a couple seconds. It will then start all over. This start/stop behavior will continue forever if I let it. Even if I turn off the unit, it will continue spinning for several minutes.

I seriously believe the CD changer on this unit is not working properly. Even if the new disk being sent to me allows the NAV to work properly, I don't think the CD changer is ever going to work correctly. Unfortunately, it looks like I have received a bad unit. Chalk another bad sell up to Ebay sellers.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Jeff what year is your 300C.
Im gonna take a guess, but I think that it is changing over and over and over because it reconizes CD's not DVD.
The Navigation CD is a DVD so it cannot read it, but im just taking a guess, but it sounds pretty logical.
Clean the DVD with alcohol, and try inserting it again.
let me know.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Dude, you are NOT understanding me.

The NAV disk (a DVD) is inserted in the bottom slot. It says it CAN'T BE READ.

The CD Changer (top slot) will NOT accept ANY CD's (I am NOT trying to insert DVD's).

The changer just keeps recycling over and over - non-stop.

I DID try cleaning the DVD - still doesn't work.

I have a 2005 300C.

Do you understand?

And my name isn't "JEFF".

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
JustForFun said:

The CD Changer (top slot) will NOT accept ANY CD's (I am NOT trying to insert DVD's).

I have a 2005 300C.

Do you understand?

Jeff:
It sounds like you have a bad unit... it's a longshot, but try unhooking the power from the back for a minute or two and plug it back in to see if it will "reset".

·
Registered
562 Posts
JustForFun said:

I have a 2005 300C.

Do you understand?

Have you tried disconnecting the nav unit and then connecting it up again? When you hooked up the nav unit for the first time, the unit should have cycled through the cd changer and stopped, did this happen when you first hooked the unit up? There could be a disc inside the changer which the changer is having problems reading. I had this problem with my stock deck and after a few restarts my disc popped out and everything was working again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts