Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am hoping someone may be able to help me out here... I have a 2005 300C with the Navigation unit with AM/FM 6 CD changer...

So, yesterday while driving into work everything was fine. When I started the car to go home, the screen of the radio/Navigation unit is grey and has what look like lines running through it. Everything still seems to work on the unit itself (Radio, CD's ets) but there is no display. It looks like the lines change as I adjust the volume or change from Radio to CD, but still a grey screen. Anyone have any ideas? I tried turning the car off and turning it back on... I turned the unit itself off and then back on. Nothing seems to work.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just repaired mine for the same reason took out radio take out 10 little screws that hold faceplate on pull off all knobs first then unsnap faceplate from body remove 4 screws that hold video screen on clean out dust from sockets mine works great now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys.
I took mine out and cleaned it etc. but it won't work.

I did find that you can buy just the screen (attached to the board) for $175 so I'll probably do that.

There is no way I'd get the whole unit (which seems to be what most people do) and pay upwards of $600 - $900 when only the screen is out so just the screen will do it for me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
retro1300s..... when you say "clean out sockets" what do you mean?

I mean, I took the unit out, opened it and got the screen off with the 4 screws but "sockets"? Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
When my screen goes dark my stereo or cd player locks on to that channel or cd only. You lose control of the system. On a restart the screen goes on and everything is functional again this lasts for about 10 min. then goes dark. any suggestions or ideas where i can purchase a screen? thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I have the same problem as Darin. The only difference maybe is the fact that I can turn off and on the radio/cd and I can change the cd. so these buttons are working ok. The display went black.

This happened yesterday- a rainy day, after I have left the car into a close parking. When I left the parking, I saw that the display went black. I have turned off the engine, took off the key and opened the door. Then, I put in moto the car.

After 10 minutes, the display went again black. I have done the same thing as above and the display was ok for 30-40 minutes.

Today, another rainy day, the display went black remained black also after I have done the checks I did yesterday.

Could some help me with some information ? Is there another solution of this problem (solution different from the official one- to change it)?
Darrin, what have you done in the end?

I will apprecciate all the answers- I need to understand what went wrong and why happend this.

Strunphy

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,568 Posts
The units can get dirty and the contacts (sockets) carbon up. If they get cleaned they sometimes work. Other times, it's too late. Just like any other electrical connection, they can fail. So can the screen itself. You can replace the screen.

What many folks do is upgrade to a new aftermarket head unit for a lot less than a new unit (A new REC/NAV head unit is almost $2200 dealer price!!!), get a harness adapter or two and move on. Some folks shop for used ones on eBay but as with any other used item, you are taking your chances there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone of you guys figure this out??? Our comes on for about ten minutes goes black and just the volume works when it playing a cd....nothing else works. I will be pulling mine out to do the repair myself I figure its probably bad solder joints near the STK's....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been experianceing the same thing,gonna go back and clean the electrical sockets and see how that works,But I also found that a outfit in Van Nuys,CA by the name of HI-Tech Electronics specifically repair chrysler products you can find them on line,Good Luck Ya'll

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello all, I have ran into this same issue and from doing some research on my system I have found that the cooling fan on the back of the radio has stopped working which causes the screen to get hot and shut down to avoid permanent damage to the screen. I am hoping someone on here has the info sticker on the back of the fan since mine has fallen off. If you have the sticker please post the information for fan size and model number so I can order and replace mine also.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've got a spare fan that I can send you. I've been slowly parting out an old RE2 radio, so I might as well give up the fan, too.

Send me a PM with your address, and I'll get it out to you.

Edit: Snap, never mind. I see that it's a 1st gen radio. Sorry for getting your hopes up...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same problem after door damage. 2006 Chrysler 300C

I slowly turned into a pole that dented the driver door along the horizontal cross member. Since then even after the door was fixed my two profile buttons on the door save seat position etc. but the seat does not go back when the ignition is turned off. But the bigger issue is the navigation display not coming on. I can eject cd's and play them, switching discs and everything but then I can't get back to fm or satellite radio. The only buttons that seem to work are the vertical ones to the left. I cannot eject the navigation disc. The navigation menu on the EVIC cannot be navigated. I took it out and it seems pretty clean. It came back on and worked perfect once but after a car restart it was back to not working. The screen has never shown any flaws when it does work. Dealer quoted $2600 to replace it...NOPE.

I guess I will be removing it and tinkering with it. I wish I knew someone nearby that had the same working head unit so that I could swap them to make sure the problem is the head unit and not something else. Does anyone know how to set this up to be bench tested? Thanks.

UPDATE:
The seat back setting in the EVIC is now working again. I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem back in '05 and that someone at a garage told him to move the driver seat to it's maximum adjustments and this should enable it again. So I moved the seat as far forward as possible, as far back as possible, tilted it all the way up and all the way down. Then I adjusted the steering wheel to its fully contracted and full extended positions. After this I saved my preferred arrangement on profile 1 and now it works. The dealership tried to tell me that this probably wasn't working because the head unit had a fault...Not sure how he made that connection other than laziness. A Google search solved it for me. I had the same thing happen when my auto-windows would intermittently quit working...They were going to change out the whole unit before I Googled and got the reset procedure for the auto-windows. I would understand these issues for a newly released vehicle but this car has been out for awhile...These problems have happened before and there are some solutions around...Not sure why this information does not get back to the dealerships.

So I stripped down the head unit into two sections-the CD player system and the navigation system. Nothing seems scorched anywhere upon initial inspection. I removed the small ventilation fan and saw that it was 9V .06A. I hooked it up to a 9V battery and got nothing...no movement in the fan at all. I ended up ordering a new replacement fan from PacParts. The motor p/n is UDQF42H01-AE. It's a shot in the dark and I may be wasting $27 on this stupid fan but it's better than $2600.

While I waited around for the replacement fan to come in the unit has come on a few times randomly and worked fine. The screen goes black and the lower and right sets of buttons quit working after a few minutes of driving. There seems to be a correlation between outside temperature and the unit coming on but it could be coincidental. Every time the unit has come on has been in the morning when it is in the high 40's to low 50's °F. I've assumed the navigation system heats up and then powers down to protect itself since the fan does not work.

I received the replacement fan today and installed it. This did not seem to fix the problem but the temperature has been warmer the past few days. I have not tried unhooking the battery yet to see if it "reboots" some sort of safety protocol or something. I still have my fingers crossed on this one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
So going into winter now here in the midwest. I canceled my Sirius subscription. So there does not seem to be consistency with the unit working in colder temperatures...Maybe humidity...Not sure. I would really think this was a capacitor issue but I closely examined each one and none of them look physically damaged / swollen. Every now and then the display will come on and everything will function as it should. Sometimes it stays on the entire time I'm driving and other times it will screw back up while driving. The screen just goes black and the buttons quit working. The radio does not skip a beat when this happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 chrysler 300 touring and the light from the GPS/radio/CD player just went out but the radio works. Is it a fuse for the GPS system or is it a bulb? What would cause the light to go out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
So going into winter now here in the midwest. I canceled my Sirius subscription. So there does not seem to be consistency with the unit working in colder temperatures...Maybe humidity...Not sure. I would really think this was a capacitor issue but I closely examined each one and none of them look physically damaged / swollen. Every now and then the display will come on and everything will function as it should. Sometimes it stays on the entire time I'm driving and other times it will screw back up while driving. The screen just goes black and the buttons quit working. The radio does not skip a beat when this happens.
I have the EXACT same problem. I'll be taking my screen apart soon to find out if anything looks burnt or if the fan has stopped working. Mine could work fine for days but then will come on and off periodically during a short drive to work. Very annoying.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts