Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the joystick on the Nav unit break? It started to "free spin" instead of clicking when it turns, so I cannot zoom in or out in the map.

When I pulled off the knob, I saw how it kind of works, but unless there is a piece missing, this is a poor design.

It looks like the inner most plastic ring won't stay seated to engage the zoom wheel in the inards of the radio.

Any help please. Else, I just go to the dealer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, I loosened mine as part of my "tear apart" of my navigation system (look for a thread posted by me).

Pull the knob completely off. Watch for a little black tensioning ring. Mine fell off and stayed on the "stub" in the hole. Re-seat it on the knob - not too tight! The align the knob and push it back on the "stub."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help

Where does the tensioning ring go?

I think mine was actually on the joystick.

I have this many pieces in this order, from out side in:

Plastic joystick knob.
Metal ring (tensioning ring). This was on the joystick.
Rubber filler
Rubber filler
Plastic ring that has a notch that looks like it alligns with a notch all the way inside.

It looks like if you seat the joystick down, it just doesn't quite reach the little plastic ring.

I really would appreciate your help. Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The ring goes on the knob. Mine is about 3mm up from the bottom. Then push the knob back on the stub in the hole. Push the knob all the way down. It should only hover about 2-3mm above the panel buttons. If it goes further, then pull it back out and push the ring up a bit more and try again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joystick

I think I have more issues than I think. I will try to take a picture. Bottom line is that it does not look like the joystick is going in far enough to engage the inner most plastic ring.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just installed my ebay purchased NAV unit today and am having this same issue. When turned the joystick does no zoom in or out, nor does it clicked.

I removed the knob as described and I see 2 rubber bushings as described, and my tensioner is at the bottom of the knob towards the end where it plugs onto the metal post. Once properly aligned, I can push it all the way in to where the knob is about 3mm off the face of the unit and it appears properly seated. I can scroll in every direction, but the "push to click" function and the rotating zoom function do not work.

Anyone else had this issue?

The seller I purchased from ebay has a 45 Warranty so no biggie, but I'd much rather get the unit fixed without having to send it back.

The NAV is wonderful on this car. I'm quite impressed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can't use push to click, can anyone else use this in their cars?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Twist to zoom = Yes
Push to click = No

·
Registered
677 Posts
My joystick can be pushed on, producing a click much like a mouse feels when it is clicked. Perhaps this is the problem?

The ebayer I purchased from had me file a claim with UPS, and I will have to take it to the stealership and apparently UPS will cover the repair or replacement. I'd rather not bother with the whole ordeal and fix it myself if possible.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
rogue said:
My joystick can be pushed on, producing a click much like a mouse feels when it is clicked. Perhaps this is the problem?

The ebayer I purchased from had me file a claim with UPS, and I will have to take it to the stealership and apparently UPS will cover the repair or replacement. I'd rather not bother with the whole ordeal and fix it myself if possible.
Hey rogue, just between you and me I think the joystick was broken before it got to UPS :eek: unless it was packed poorly. Mine clicks just like a mouse when pushed but does not seem to have any purpose, what does the manual say about the push function? I think the click is normal as mine functions perfectly.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I guess I just joined the club too. I have a 300C AWD 2005. My Nav knob just broke 3 days ago while I was entering addresses before going on a trip. The 8 way joystick came loose to the touch, won't (turn) zoom in or out and only work at 5% by pushing in hard but won't do left nor right. It doesn't click for me "like the other guy said". I went to the dealer and after 3 hours of work on it, they told me I needed a new Nav System. At a $1000 or so plus labor I decided to investigate. There are few entries on the "LX forum" site, few on our site "300C forum" and this one has pretty good info. Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Navigation Radio. It's on jeeps but it's the same NAV as the 300C. Just Google it (300C joystick) and you'll get several hits.

My dealer told me to contact Chrysler Customer Care and see what they have to say. I called them, they looked into it and called me back few hours later with an answer. If I purchase a new one (Nav System) from my dealer plus installation, I will fax the bill plus info to Customer Care and will look at my case and probably assume some of the cost or all of it (I don't know yet) for the new replacement. They won't accept any purchased outside dealers like eBay etc. So I ordered a new Nav today. It should arrive within a week and it takes 1 1/2 hour to install they say. I have to pay in full first and claim the refund or partial refund (if accepted) through Customer Care.

I'm in Canada so for me it's Chrysler Canada but it might be similiar for the US. It's worth a try.
For the Canadians >>> Chrysler Canada Customer Care telephone # is: 800 465-2001.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I guess I just joined the club too. I have a 300C AWD 2005. My Nav knob just broke 3 days ago while I was entering addresses before going on a trip. The 8 way joystick came loose to the touch, won't (turn) zoom in or out and only work at 5% by pushing in hard but won't do left nor right. It doesn't click for me "like the other guy said". I went to the dealer and after 3 hours of work on it, they told me I needed a new Nav System. At a $1000 or so plus labor I decided to investigate. There are few entries on the "LX forum" site, few on our site "300C forum" and this one has pretty good info. Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Navigation Radio. It's on jeeps but it's the same NAV as the 300C. Just Google it (300C joystick) and you'll get several hits.

My dealer told me to contact Chrysler Customer Care and see what they have to say. I called them, they looked into it and called me back few hours later with an answer. If I purchase a new one (Nav System) from my dealer plus installation, I will fax the bill plus info to Customer Care and will look at my case and probably assume some of the cost or all of it (I don't know yet) for the new replacement. They won't accept any purchased outside dealers like eBay etc. So I ordered a new Nav today. It should arrive within a week and it takes 1 1/2 hour to install they say. I have to pay in full first and claim the refund or partial refund (if accepted) through Customer Care.

I'm in Canada so for me it's Chrysler Canada but it might be similiar for the US. It's worth a try.
For the Canadians >>> Chrysler Canada Customer Care telephone # is: 800 465-2001.
I wish you the best of luck but if your outside the warranty period I doubt your getting any money back. Also there ripping you off on the labor, the nav system takes no more the 30 minutes to swap out. Its 4 screws after you pop the bezel off.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I have not yet had this problem, however I do know it's common. There used to be a member by the user name of Mr.Incredible. I know he actualy had a fairly easy fix to this problem. Haven't seen him here in some time though, I do know that alot of people know him, I think his name is Mark. Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts