Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Navigation displays Error reading disc.. check disc. How do I get the Nav disc out. I couldn't find it in the Nav handbook.:worried:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Theres a little plastic cover over the nav disc towards the bottom of your Nav unit. About 1/4" tall 4-5" long. Pop the cover off and I believe theres a little button to eject the disc.
Remove it, clean it and re-install it you should be good to go. :biggrin:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replies. I'll try it right now!:veryhappy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That did the trick. I could see that little tab on the side, but I didn't know if the cover plate popped off or what. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get the read error often... I have had the disc replaced, and the unit replaced.... the problem never went away.

I finally noticed that when i remove the disc when i get a read error, the disc is very hot. On a cold day, I held the disc against the window, til it got really cold, reinserted it, and got t to read correctly for another 100 or so miles.....

It seems the heat of the unit itself, will cause the read error. Seems like there would be a TSB for this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i've been getting error while reading the navigation's dvd. it's really annoying because it usually makes the notification sound. are there any fix for this yet?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i got this too, but only in the winter months. Taking the disc out and reinserting it always fixed the issue. I could almost predict when it was going to happen. Once things started getting warmer, the issue went away. And it only happened in the morning. If i let the car sit for 8+ hours at work, and went out, no problems, only when it got really cold overnight, i guess.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have this happen to me in either extreme heat or extreme cold. It is definitely weather related for me. Its always on the first start of the day too. I don't think you will see a fix for this...not sure if the mygig system has the same issue? As a matter of fact I am not even sure if the GPS is DVD based

·
Registered
149 Posts
This happened so often for a while that i removed the disc..... i got sick of the warning tone.

However i noticed that a lot of the audio menus could not be accessed without the disc in and working. I took it to the dealer and was told that the nav system would be replaced....

2 days later, got it back... worked for about a day.... then the same problems... always when hot.

took it back again, and told them it must be the disc, which they said is not covered under warranty, since it is the NAV disc.... i flipped out about the fact that since it wasn't working, my audio was not adjustable. After i proved my point, they relented and ordered me another NAV disc. ironically the newer version.

result is it still has the same problems. But I honestly cant give up use of my car while they figure it out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am also getting the disc read error. I've had this happen 3 or 4 times before, and I would remove the disc, clean it, and use a dvd cleaner disc to clean the unit. It would work for a few months, and then crap out again. This time I have gone through the cleaning routine about a dozen times, and I can't get it to work. Looks like a trip to the dealer next week, unless anyone has another suggestion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My better half had this happen on her 07 Aspen. The dealer (Greenbrier Chrysler in Chesapeake VA) told us that it was fully covered and replaced the disk. They said if it did not fix the problem (which it did) that they would replace the entire unit at no cost.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am also getting the disc read error. I've had this happen 3 or 4 times before, and I would remove the disc, clean it, and use a dvd cleaner disc to clean the unit. It would work for a few months, and then crap out again. This time I have gone through the cleaning routine about a dozen times, and I can't get it to work. Looks like a trip to the dealer next week, unless anyone has another suggestion.
The Error is back again. I have the same problem as above. I cleaned the disc originally and it worked for about a couple of months, but now I've been getting the error everytime I start the car. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. This problem is annoying and I can't use my NAV!

I live in TX and the summers can be brutal. The temp lately has ranged from 100 to 107. I figured that it could be weather related because my car sits in the heat all day while I'm at work.

I'll probably take it in to the dealership, but I hate going there for anything.:yuck:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same issues with my Nav throwing a disc error. Dealer said the only way to fix the issue is to purchase a $250-$300 updated disc. This is BS I work for gm and they warranty the disc for the warranty time 3year/36,000 miles. Mopar does not honor the warranty on their nav disc's. I have a great relationship with my Mopar dealer and have get service done all the time with them. I spoke to the Service Manager then then the Mopar Rep and then they finally gave me a new disc.

Good Luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
temporary fix

The Error is back again. I have the same problem as above. I cleaned the disc originally and it worked for about a couple of months, but now I've been getting the error everytime I start the car. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. This problem is annoying and I can't use my NAV!

I live in TX and the summers can be brutal. The temp lately has ranged from 100 to 107. I figured that it could be weather related because my car sits in the heat all day while I'm at work.

I'll probably take it in to the dealership, but I hate going there for anything.:yuck:

The only thing that works consistently for me, is to take the disc out and get it cold, either by taking inside with me, or by holding it in front of the AC duct til it cools down enough to reinsert it.... if the problem is like mine, when you remove the disc it is scorching hot...., then reinsert it, cleaning has no effect on either the disc or the unit. It seems that the heat in Texas gets these discs too hot, and the deform just enough to cause the laser to not be able to focus... you would think they would be designed for etreme temps, but apparently they are not.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
use some canned air and blow out the dirt in the unit..

these REC units get VERY dirty very fast...

also they get very hot and the disc warps.. I have always just made a copy of my disc and kept a spare in the glove box.. when the error happened I just tossed the disc for a new one..

went thru 4 discs and 3 units in 2 years and finally gave up and got an Alpine H/U....

·
Registered
553 Posts
When this happened to me, I tried taking it out and simply wiping it down, and that didn't work. Then I tried a lens cleaning wipe (a pre-moistened towelette designed for lenses and computer screens) and that worked. I burned a copy of the disk on my computer and am running that, with the original as a backup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A "new" disk fixed my problem. Practically went through all the previously mentioned methods until it no longer worked. I thought the dvd-rom was broken. Took a chance on a "new" dvd and my problem was solved. Got the nav hack as well...

·
Registered
133 Posts
have had very similar problems here as well!!

nav disk read errors with alot of beeping! very annoying

took it to dealer, they replaced disk, worked for 2 days, then same error. then amazingly enough it "went away" and has been good for 2 months...

sounds like it is very temperature related though, i never noticed. hmmm

what a crock, definitely an issue here with these units

1 - 20 of 41 Posts