Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't afford every bell and whistle. If my car it would have Nav. The 300C will be the Ol Ladies. Having hard enough time getting her to get the HID lamps. All she wants is a sunroof and standard CD Player.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Navigation system DVD play

Does the navigation system play movie dvds like the cadillac deville? Alot of newer system play dvd movies when the parking brake is applied. I have the RB in my pickup and it doesn't have this feature. It would be nice if the 300C had this feature. This forum is great! HAVE MY SILVER "C" ON ORDER !

·
Registered
94 Posts
The local stereo shop so no because it plays DVD-ROMs. I still think theres gotta be a way. If anybody knows anything please let us know!

·
Registered
365 Posts
NAV in my 300C will not play anything but the NAV disk. Confirmed by manual.

There may be a mod, but not aware of any at this point in time. Wouldn't be legal in VA anyway, drivers aren't permitted to have a TV screen visible while driving.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Does anyone know how to open the DVD tray on te 300C NAV system?

I can't find it in the manuals and Alpine is very difficult to deal with via their assistance number.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Stick a little screw driver into the top left corner of the tray that im pointing to in the picture. You will see a little slot for it. Its pretty simple, comes right out, and then theres an eject button underneath the cover thingy

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to the Chrysler Accessories, 2005 300C booklet I got at my dealer, where it explains the “Navigation Radio (REC)” it states “The unit also features a 5.8 inch diagonal color display, am/fm stereo, DVD Player, 6-disc cd/mp3 payer and 12 am, 12 fm and 12 SIRIUS satellite radio presets*. (*SIRUS optional)”

Although when I went to Mopar’s site I found the following:

Audio/Video and Electronics > Radios > Audio, Radios - REC AM/FM w/6-Disc CD/MP3 Player and DVD Navigation

Navigation Radio (REC) combines a 5.8-inch full-color display, AM/FM stereo, 6 disc CD/MP3 Player and Navigation System that utilizes DVD technology, all in one handy unit. This sophisticated, yet simple-to-use navigation system guides you to your precise destination through the use of Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite technology and an onboard computer. The system offers turn-by-turn route guidance with voice instruction, automatic re-route calculation, unique smart-spelling feature, extensive listings for point of interests and enough memory to store 100 personal addresses. Unit includes a geographic DVD with routing directions for the entire mapped United States and parts of Canada. The radio features 12 AM, 12 FM, and 12 Sirius Satellite Radio pre-sets. This system is Sirius Satellite Radio capable and displays station names, song title and artist. To obtain Sirius Satellite Radio, a satellite receiver/antenna kit and subscription to the Sirius service is required.

So no metion of the "DVD Player" on the web site, it would be a nice feature if it really worked :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like the previous generation RB1 Nav unit, the new REC unit will not play DVD movies, and it is specifically designed not to do so. It took a year and a half, but finally someone came up with a way to hack the RB1 to allow DVD movies to play. This was done by modifying the unit internally, adding a video (& audio) input jack. The allows movies to be played from an external player plugged in to the RB1, not by playing a disc inside the unit. The drawback is the price of the modification - in the $1,000 range which is almost the cost of the original unit. I assume that someone may also hack the new REC Nav unit at some point, but I would think for most people that the high cost of these conversions would not be worth it.

Here is a link I found to some info on the REC nav unit, for the Grand Cherokee but same unit used in the 300: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav.htm

Modified RB1 navigation radio

·
Registered
96 Posts
There will most likely (and hopefully) be a mod soon. That is what happened with the g35/350z, and it was a fairly easy mod if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How does the NAVIGATION work?

sorry to play dumb, but i have never owned nor used a navigation system in a car.

software is included i assume, and is it voice commanded? how did you selet a location? also, say--i live in Nashville--if i wanted to go on vactaion to Destin, Fl, would it give me directions all the way there? or do i need more software?

if i was looking for the nearest Thai place to eat, would i just say "Thai restaraunt" and it give me the nearest one? "Wendy's" ??????

also with the music on (however loud it may be) does it give detailed turn by turn instructions?

can you enter an address (if you are headed to someone house for example) and how do you enter that address?

sorry, but i am amazed at how many great feedbacks i hear about NAVs but have never used nor understand completely how they work

thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We don't have Nav in our 300C but the Chrysler DVD Nav is not voice activated. It will give you door to door driving directions to anywhere in the US and perhaps Canada from one DVD. The Nav in my E55 is CD-Rom and there are six CD to cover the US and Canada. It will either lower or mute the music to give you a turn by turn driving instructions. You input the address, city and state from selections on the screen with the input knobs or buttons.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
yea, but i mean how do you type in 0000 country road, destin, florida, 0000?

and when you approach a "turn" that you are supposed to take, does a voice come over and say "take the next right" or does it beep to let you know to look down and see the turn?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
All the cities of every state and all the streets of every city will be on the DVD. So if there is a 1234 Country Road, Distin, FL you will be able to keep selecting options until you get the address you want. There is a alpha-numerical input screen - to select 1234 Country Road you:

select "c" then enter
select "o" then enter
select "u" then enter
select "n" then enter
select "t" then enter
select "r" then enter
select "y" then enter

If there is also a Country Ave, Country Road or Country Street you get to choose which one you want.

Then you select house number:

select "1" then enter
select "2" then enter
select "3" then enter
select "4" then enter

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At $1,595 it is worth it. I just could not talk my Ol Lady into it since I have Nav in my E55 and plan on getting it in the Magnum RT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
correction to that each letter then enter thing, The unit has some intelegence, if you start typeing C...O...U and the only road in that city that starts with those letters is COUNTRY ROAD, then it will pop up before you finish typing it all. If you want Xenon road, chances are, you will only need to type in the X and it will finish the rest for ya, then when you go to type the address number, if all the buildings on that road in that city start with 12, then it will put those in for you, you just type in the rest, if every road starts with say 12 and ends with 5, then as soon as you type the 3 and the 4, the address will popup and you just hit enter and GO! kinda nice features :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are looking for a particular random place (ie a place to eat) the dvd comes with a whole bunch of preprogramed points of interest. So one can select to higlight all resturaunts in the area, or you can go through a menu and select an exact address by going through food>thai>and then browsing through the resturaunts listed.

It is a pretty standard nav system, but it does have some unique things in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question about Navagation?

Just got my 300c two days ago. Went to a friends house today and took the new car :D. Still learning all the new cool thing with the Nav, but I took a well known and heavly used interstate and it has been in use for over 4 years. But it didn't show up on my Nav map? Any one have any of the same situations with it? Any comments or ideas would be helpful... I love this Car

1 - 20 of 329 Posts