Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff but I have tried everything else and desperation wins over unfamiliarity. My 300C AWD with the 5.7L Hemi motor blew up a few months ago and my engine insurance policy is not trying to fix it (don't recommend CarShield btw, absolute waste of money) I need my baby fixed though. Kind of life or death badly need her at this point. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement engine that runs please let me know. I'm not wealthy by any means but I have to at least try to see if there's something out there I can afford regardless.
Thanks for reading, Erica.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Depends largely on the amount of labor you're willing to pay for, and what's wrong with your original engine.

You can find complete running used engines at car-part.com, and that's a relatively straightforward job.

For some additional labor costs, you can go with a remanufactured unit. You can buy what's known as a "long block", which includes all the major parts of the engine, including heads. Your mechanic then takes all of the sensors, wiring, accessories, covers and other external parts from the old engine and swaps them over to the new one, replacing some wear items such as your water pump.

If you have a diagnosis for your engine, you may be able to save a substantial amount by just replacing either the "short block" or the heads alone with reman units.

Luckily for you, the 5.7 Hemi is such a popular engine that there are a number of shops that specialize in rebuilding them. Believe it or not, you can find them on that big auction website at reasonable prices.

There are other rebuilders that your mechanic may already use or be familiar with, such as Jasper. Just Google "[year] Chrysler 300 5.7 reman engine", without the quotes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends largely on the amount of labor you're willing to pay for, and what's wrong with your original engine.

You can find complete running used engines at car-part.com, and that's a relatively straightforward job.

For some additional labor costs, you can go with a remanufactured unit. You can buy what's known as a "long block", which includes all the major parts of the engine, including heads. Your mechanic then takes all of the sensors, wiring, accessories, covers and other external parts from the old engine and swaps them over to the new one, replacing some wear items such as your water pump.

If you have a diagnosis for your engine, you may be able to save a substantial amount by just replacing either the "short block" or the heads alone with reman units.

Luckily for you, the 5.7 Hemi is such a popular engine that there are a number of shops that specialize in rebuilding them. Believe it or not, you can find them on that big auction website at reasonable prices.

There are other rebuilders that your mechanic may already use or be familiar with, such as Jasper. Just Google "[year] Chrysler 300 5.7 reman engine", without the quotes.

Good luck!
Well u bought it from an idiot (among other things) who didn't notice it was over heating thanks to the radiator fans not working over the temp sensor being shot. Now of course that lead to water pump taking a hit so it had overheated God knows how many times prio to me getting and fixing it then having to reset the PCM. Idk how or why but one day went to gas pump n noticed a surge in the idle so I shut her off n that was it....the damn head dropped out n she's been down ever since. They're talking min 2800 to begin to tear into my motor bc AWD & how they're mounted to my differential cases compared to a standard 2WD version. She had less than 150K on her. I lived in my 300 thanks to a crazy ex issue and w.o her....things are bad. Need to just swap out her motor with one that moves and need to do it as in last week. Please if anyone knows of a used one cheap around NC..... I need help more than I need air to breathe right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Meant to say I* bought. Smartphone not to smart, the stupid thing never fails to say "put" when I type "out" (I've verified to be sure by watching as I hit keys to be certain the phone is trying to mess me up on purpose lol)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Still don't know what year your car is, and that makes a difference.

If we go ahead and assume that it's an 05-08, it's probably not worth fixing. From your description, it sounds like you dropped a valve seat, which likely wrecked the block in addition to at least one head.

I presume you've already checked cart-part.com, and found that most used 05-08 Hemis are either crazy expensive or have too many miles to gamble so much money in labor on.

You could try Craigslist to look for a local bargain, but don't expect any kind of warranty.

Unless you have access to free or heavily discounted labor, I'd sell it for parts and buy something more likely to give you a few reliable years.

·
Registered
'05 300c Blondie
151 Posts
"If we go ahead and assume that it's an 05-08, it's probably not worth fixing.... "

+1, at least not worth fixing so long as you're paying someone to do the work. You'd mentioned $2800 to start tearing into your motor.... or how much another motor costs + the labor to swap.... these cars can be found in decent condition at 4-6k.

It doesn't happen often, but if the piston/block isn't scored.... a dropped seat just means a new set of heads & intake manifold. It shouldn't be but a few hours labor to pop the heads and know what the damage really is... or if the mechanic has a scope to look thru the spark plug hole. Would be a shame to tear out an engine if it's not necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts