Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANY HELP APPRECIATED! :)

I have a 2007 CRD, the alternator is no longer charging the battery. To get a new alternator in Australia it will cost me $1600.00 in Australian Dollars (1,159.25 EUR). (dealer prices - they are obviously the devil).

I have some questions.

1: Are the diesel alternators different to the petrol ones?
2: If so, what is the part number for the DIESEL alternator
3: Who makes the alternators?
4: Are there after market/non genuine versions available?
5: Can anyone recommend a supplier of the Alternator I require?

I am going to get a mechanic to replace it for me once I get the part myself (avoiding rip-off genuine part dealer prices), this is unless any of you legends can point me to a step by step guide to replacing the alternator.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Most Auto electricians will refurb Alternators and starters,It's normally just the brushes thats worn,but they will normally replace bearings and rectifiers if needed, If they don't have a unit in stock to fit your car they will remove refurb & replace your own, Check in your local yellow pages under auto electricians or garage services,or try googling "alternator repairs in (your location)" you should find someone local without resorting to the dealer.
I had a quick google and there appears to be ample alternator repairers in oz.
good luck

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I wonder if you've had the dreaded diesel leak onto your alternator???

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I wonder if you've had the dreaded diesel leak onto your alternator???
Thats what I was thinking.

You need to check the join in the fuel pipes way up above the alternator (just under the engine cover). They have a habit of coming loose or rubbing through and filling the alternator with diesel. You can also purchase a shield from your dealer to stop any fluid entering the alternator from above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at 56,000 kilometres i think a diesel leak into the alternator is the likely explanation, i will check the hose connectivity tomorrow.
I didn't realise that these alternators could be refurbished, that may be a good option as I'm in no rush (i took the car off the road because the combined quote for alternator repairs and swirl port actuator repairs was too much for me to afford)
that link is pretty good kaiser bill, according to that the alternator part number is 04896808AC.
this is a very good start :D thank you guys so much for your input!!!

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,749 Posts
I assume your basic warranty has expired, but there was someone on this forum who had his diesel-contaminated alternator replaced under the 5 yr emissions warranty. Stretching a point, I know, but the dealer offered this without being pushed. From recollection, this wasn't in the UK.

BTW, swirl port problems should also be covered by the 5 yr emissions warranty, especially with only 56K km.

·
Registered
986 Posts
at 56,000 kilometres i think a diesel leak into the alternator is the likely explanation, i will check the hose connectivity tomorrow.
I didn't realise that these alternators could be refurbished, that may be a good option as I'm in no rush (i took the car off the road because the combined quote for alternator repairs and swirl port actuator repairs was too much for me to afford)
that link is pretty good kaiser bill, according to that the alternator part number is 04896808AC.
this is a very good start :D thank you guys so much for your input!!!
Both of those could very possibly be covered under the five year emissions warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
http://eshop.original-teile.de/inde...808AC&&listtype=search&searchparam=04896808AC

thats over 50% off, but I cant believe you cant get an oem part cheaper.....I'll use my old car's details to find out....

edit : .............."We have nothing for this part number however on the Lucas site it states that LRA3165 fits the 300c CRD

This corresponds to a 180amp unit with part numbers 04896808AA and AB"

I'm pretty sure this is the same animal, but dont quote me .....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12V-...6168310QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

this firm ships worldwide. They seem to be very cheap on ebay
http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp

·
Registered
10 Posts
I assume your basic warranty has expired, but there was someone on this forum who had his diesel-contaminated alternator replaced under the 5 yr emissions warranty. Stretching a point, I know, but the dealer offered this without being pushed. From recollection, this wasn't in the UK.

BTW, swirl port problems should also be covered by the 5 yr emissions warranty, especially with only 56K km.
i have a mate with a 300c on a 06 plate that has just had all this replaced under warranty and he lives in kent uk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am a few months beyond the 3 year warranty period and unfortunately I'm the second owner of the car. I tried to get onto Chrysler, both locally and through their head offices, but they are all quite happily washing their hands of the whole affair. :(
On a positive note, everyone on this forum has been awesome!!! :) makes me feel a lot better- owning the same car as such nice people :)
off to work for now.
Chris

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,749 Posts
Being the second owner should not invalidate warranty, but you may need to provide evidence of service history. As you are only just outside the 3 yr limit and well within the 5yr emissions warranty you should have a strong case. I would have another go at H.O.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HEy,

Unfortunately i don't think we have an emissions warranty in Australia... so no such luck there. I pulled the cover off and checked the diesel hoses, they were all tight and in good condition, however i did notice that a little bit of oil was around the oil filler pipe (and my alternator died a few days after my last service) but proving that spilled oil was to blame for my dead alternator to my (ex) mechanic would be near impossible. I have found a new mechanic and I'm halfway through ordering a cover/shroud from the UK Big thanks to kaiser bill for the part number in a different thread). I think the best plan is to have my old alternator reconditioned and reinstalled (yet to discuss with new mechanic).
Off topic, as far as my swirl port failure is concerned, i have ordered a new actuator from the US @$224USD delivered. I checked the turbo intake and found a nice big smear of oil :( am about to buy and install a catch can (thanks to advice in another thread) :)

Thanks for the input so far :)
Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey Mr Cool,
Sorry I meant to reply to your comment about your spares earlier...
Yeah, if they were the same everything wold be a lot simpler... but it's ok, one step at a time :)

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,749 Posts
HEy,

Unfortunately i don't think we have an emissions warranty in Australia... so no such luck there.
You are probably correct. I've just checked the warranty booklet and only European countries are covered under the Extended Emission Warranty. Not even the US is mentioned, which is surprising.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI Chris,
Just wondering how you went with your alternator problem,
did you solve your problem as mine has just gone aswell,
I have been told that the 3.0lt Merc Sprinter is the same but im not sure on this,
can you let me know how you went.
My other option is to get one of National's Alternators which is a 280amp with 200amp on idle,costing for that is just over the $1000 mark,he told me that it was slightly bigger that the Valerio 180amp chrysler one,as you know the removal of these alternators on the chrysler is so tight and does not give you much room to play with,my worry is that the sprinter wont fit through the gap that the chrysler come out of.

Regards

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
HI Chris,
Just wondering how you went with your alternator problem,
did you solve your problem as mine has just gone aswell,
I have been told that the 3.0lt Merc Sprinter is the same but im not sure on this,
can you let me know how you went.
My other option is to get one of National's Alternators which is a 280amp with 200amp on idle,costing for that is just over the $1000 mark,he told me that it was slightly bigger that the Valerio 180amp chrysler one,as you know the removal of these alternators on the chrysler is so tight and does not give you much room to play with,my worry is that the sprinter wont fit through the gap that the chrysler come out of.

Regards

Joe
the sprinter engine is identical, so its alternator should be ok

1 - 20 of 21 Posts