Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey foks, here is an issue that I have to resolve soon.

My mom has a 2005 VW Beetle 1.8 turbo convertible with automatic. She bought this new a few years ago, and we thought it would be cool to put some wheels on it and slam it. So we did about 3 years ago. Put colormatched gray wheels on it and had H&R springs on it. Well it rode aweful (worst lowered car ever) and eventually we sold the wheels on it and she drove around with just the lowering springs on it. She finally couldnt take it anymore, so today I replaced the stock springs on it. Everything went well and trouble free.....or so I thought.

When driving the car to make sure everything was fine, I notice that above 40 mph when I hit the gas that the car would shake. I called a former vw tech that I knew and he said that vw's have a problem warping the axles, and with the car slammed and returned to stock height after a few years, it probably accelerated the process.

So that is the diagnosis. II have warped axles. The driver side is what is real bad. I even saw grease coming out of it.

So where do I get these parts?

I called advanced auto parts (because they were the only thing open) and they didnt even list that there was a 1.8T with an automatic in 05. WTF??

Here is the big dilemma, I came to my suspension guys place to get the work done in Greenville, NC which is about 80 miles from my house. I am not going to drive this car home until it is fixed. Luckily my brother lives here on campus at East Carolina University, so I am shacking up at his place.

Can anyone that knows a little about these cars help me to find a part number or a place to buy this part. I am going to go to the dealer tomorrow, and hopefully they wont screw me (right), and possibly be able to come home tomorrow.

This sucks man, now I have to let my mom drive my car to work tomorrow (she is a teacher) and hopefully she doesnt go over large speed bumps or have misunderstood kids go up to her to try to purchase something (Ill admit, you would swear a drug dealer owned my car).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks

Jonathan Butler

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I hate VW with a passion. I lost my respect for them with one that I had. I had an 04 vw R32 (this is the ultra rare golf vr6 4wd. it was only produced in 04). That was a pretty badass car, but it was close to 35 grand....for a golf. I know, I am a dumbass, but it actually was sweet. I did some mods to it and it would flat out roll. I would put that thing up against everything out of the hole.

Needless to say, the 4wd broke at 10k miles (yes 10,000 miles). vw quoted me 13 grand for a new system. That is when I dumped the car quick!!!! Just glad it was paid for, otherwise I would have been fuct.

Anyway, I am expecting to a beating at the vw dealer tomorrow, but as long as I can get a part number, I should be good.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know Rambit, but I cannot stay in this dorm with my brother but so long. Hey, at least the scenery is nice here!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Sorry I can't help - the parts places I use don't list axles, but...

Rollin...your younger brother is at ECU right? Which means you need to be checking IDs and averting your eyes.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally broke down and ordered the half shafts from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto they seem to be pretty good people. He did the research to determine the correct axles (because nobody was listing the 1.8t with 6 speed automatic). It still sucks because it will now take a few days and i am scared to drive it home with warped axles.

Is is stupid to drive close to 80miles with warped axles? Can anything else be harmed if I do this. everything is smooth while cruising down the road, but when I give it gas is when it shakes.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, did I mention that VW wanted $377 plus tax for a reman unit!!!!That is just for one of them, and there is a 200 buck core charge. I ended up getting some nice ones made by the driveshaft shop that are new for 201 shipped for both axles.

Hey isnt the driveshaft shop the ones making the 1000hp axles for the srt's?

Should be a pretty good product

1 - 12 of 12 Posts