Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone, I just purchased a 2005, Chrysler 300 Limited 3.5 (65k miles) (VIN:2C3AA53G65H675513) last week and need some seasoned advice.

Cliff Notes Version:
  • Car is in great shape - purchased from an elderly couple in The Villages (FL)
  • Took it to Chrysler dealership for them to inspect the transmission and overall inspection
  • Everything checked out great
  • Left Chrysler, Drove 5 miles, then parked for an hour
  • Come back out to a puddle of coolant, and a constant draining of coolant, had it Towed it back to Chrysler
  • Chrysler rep says I need a new water pump, and belts
  • They want $1,400
  • ?
Color Commentary/Thoughts:
  • Obviously frustrated and skeptical
  • Prefer not to do the repair myself after watching how-to videos on youtube
Questions I need help answering:
  • How did they not catch this?
  • How was it working fine one minute, and now this?
  • What can I do to avoid pointing the finger, while also not getting taken for $1,400, and getting the repair done > and find proof that this is the problem?
  • I am waiting to talk to the Service Manager on Monday compared to just agreeing to the fix
Ironically I purchased CarShield protection prior to taking it to Chrysler, but there is a 20-day waiting period on repairs. and they don't fix any pre-existing conditions.

Thank you in advance for any help, wisdom, ideas you all can provide. This is my first 300 :) Previously had a 08 Cadillac CTS and the transmission started to go at 160k :-/

-Tim

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Go somewhere else. A water pump and accessory drive belt should cost less than about $150-175. The labor for changing the water pump is outrageous. Changing a water pump and drive belt is not rocket science. I'd shop around at some trustworthy, reliable independents before jumping into this.. Also make sure they use the correct coolant (HOAT) and DISTILLED water and nothing else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @magnuman
In their inspection of the vehicle, is there something they could have done that would cause this problem to be created? It's hard to believe that this is just a coincidence.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks @magnuman
In their inspection of the vehicle, is there something they could have done that would cause this problem to be created? It's hard to believe that this is just a coincidence.
Yes, I guess it's possible but, since you just had it "inspected", they shouldn't have been tearing things apart. IMO, it would be a stretch to have taken it into the dealer with no problems and magically it comes out with problems. Have you found the source of the leak yet? Is it something they likely messed with?

Is this fairly common? Just search these forums and you'll see plenty of things like this and outrageously high bills for, in some cases, parts that weren't needed. I have 3 early Hemi Chrysler vehicles and the only time they've ever been to the "stealer" (what a lot of forum folks call them) is for recalls or warranty work. I wouldn't let them touch my vehicles otherwise. There's even a couple recalls on my Jeep that I won't let them do......final drive control module (it took them two tries to get this one right after trying to fix the problem with a Mickey Mouse work around, and the other is the ignition switch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and mine ain't broke. I've also never had any real problems with any of mine, other than fair wear and tear items. I am also real anal about staying ahead of any maintenance issues and do regular inspections and scheduled services.....several more frequently than recommended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts