Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm new to the site so if I am posting in the wrong spot I apologize in advance. I searched the site for a couple hours and did not find anything that would help me completely. Here is my issue. I just bought a 2005 300. All I know is that it is the touring with the Boston speaker set. My problem is that the only speakers that work is the ones in the front dash. The rears do not work nor do the ones in the front door panels. I have already checked the fade on the radio. I did however read on here that the amp controls the fade and that the amp is located to the left on the steering wheel. I did find a silver looking thing that I believe is the amp. But, from feeling around on it I did not feel any nobs or anything like that. Any hints or tips or ideas of any kind would be great. Or if somebody else thinks it's something else I'd love to hear that too.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yes, the fader controls are actually a signal from the radio via the can-bus system to the amp. Same case with the volume. Both of these are controlled within the amp. The amp is mounted on a small shelf on the driver's side behind the lower knee bolster panel, so if you removed that the amp would be mounted vertically like a book on a bookshelf.

There should be 2 connectors plugged into the amp from the bottom. Check those. The plug closest to the engine compartment connects the radio to the amp, plus some of the speakers.
The second plug connects the rest. Maybe the previous owner did some aftermarket work and did some bypass of the amp?

There aren't any adjustments that can be made on the amp which is why you don't see any settings for it.

Either it has been bypassed in some way or the amp needs replacing. I'd say check the connectors that plug into the amp from below, then check the speaker locations to see if there have been any wiring changes.

It would be relatively inexpensive to replace it. You can even upgrade the amp with an oem match. Google 77KICK18AB or something to that effect. In that case, you unpug the connectors, remove the old amp, put the new amp in, and plug the connectors back.

Reactions: Landers0440

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
The OEM amp has no control knobs on it. It's just a silver box with a plug harness at the back. If the amp is bad then I'd just replace it.

The Kicker 77KICK18AB would be a decent upgrade for very little money that requires no special harness adapters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking at my amp again the 77KICK18AB is the one I already have in there. There are two clips plugged into the bottom but I did notice some misc. wires just hanging there. Anybody know if there's a good wiring diagram out there?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The wire color codes are in the FAQ. I think you can compare the color code of the wires to what is in the faq to determine which have been cut. Then you should see the other end of them cut as well.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
somebody cut the wires??? WTF? You don't have to do that. In fact, having a digital signal from the OEM amp to an aftermarket amp is often used.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
What he ^^^^ said.

Totally unnecessary. I did a full bypass without doing that specifically so I could go back to stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts