Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just looking for a couple quick answers...I have searched around a little bit and don't want to sound dumb but I would like to know.

1. I have an '07 Base with just the 4 speaker system (added an aftermarket amp and dash speakers but from the factory it is just the four). I purchased the Metra CHTO-01 adapter from Crutchfield. Is this the one I need or will it at least work?

2. I am making the assumption that when I get the adapter that the wires from the D3 will hook up to it and then the adapter itself will plug in to the car somewhere, correct?

3. The install manual states to put the nav antennae on the rear deck but I have heard a lot of people just leave it up front. Will it make a difference either way?

4. Lastly, when I bought the D3 it came with the Bluetooth adapter for free from Best Buy and I plan on purchasing the XM adapter. Where has everyone put the adapters/units?

I hate to sound like a noob but I am anxious to get started when the Metra adapter gets here but just want to make sure I have the right idea with what I am doing. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just looking for a couple quick answers...I have searched around a little bit and don't want to sound dumb but I would like to know.

1. I have an '07 Base with just the 4 speaker system (added an aftermarket amp and dash speakers but from the factory it is just the four). I purchased the Metra CHTO-01 adapter from Crutchfield. Is this the one I need or will it at least work?

2. I am making the assumption that when I get the adapter that the wires from the D3 will hook up to it and then the adapter itself will plug in somewhere to the car, correct?

3. The install manual states to put the nav antennae on the rear deck but I have heard a lot of people just leave it up front. Will it make a difference either way?

4. Lastly, when I bought the D3 it came with the Bluetooth adapter for free from Best Buy and I plan on purchasing the XM adapter. Where has everyone put the adapters/units?

I hate to sound like a noob but I am anxious to get started when the adapter gets here but just want to make sure I have the right idea with what I am doing. Thanks in advance!

1. EDIT: I misread - without the factory amp, you can use a metra harness, but i dont think you want the CHTO-01. I believe you'd want to use the Metra 70-6504 harness. If you were using the factory amp, the Metra CHTO 01 Adapter would have worked fine with your setup. if you had steering wheel controls, i would recommend the PAC harness as it is easier to wire that harness up with the PAC steering wheel control peripherals. The Metra harness is all you need to wire the d3 to the car. Someone please correct me if i am wrong, as i wired my d3 to my 300c using the PAC harness and the factory amp - not too familiar personally with wiring it to an aftermarket amp.

2. The metra adapter has two sides - one that has to be wired to the d3 wiring, and the other side is a plug that plugs into the wiring harness in the car that normally plugs into the back of the stock radio. so you plug the metra into the car harness and then wire the other end of the metra to the d3, and plug the d3 harness into the d3

3. nav antenna doesnt have to be in the rear deck to work. i stashed mine on top of the receiver itself (its magnetic) and it works fine. you can also snake it into the cavity that is right behind the clock, in-between the 2 air vents and double stick tape it in there.

4. i have the bluetooth and sirius adapters with my d3. if you remove the glovebox, and reach up, and then curl your hand back towards the car, you will feel a "shelf" there that you can double stick tape the adapters too. you can run the bluetooth microphone up the passenger pillar, and along the front of the headliner into the upper left corner of the windshield by the driver. with the xm antenna, i would recommend exposing that on the dash or in the back shelf by the rear speakers, or even outside on your trunk lid right in front of the third brake light. i have my sirius antenna stashed with my nav antenna and my service cuts out alot more than it did with the stock antenna. i plan on getting an antenna extension and running it from the pioneer sirius box to the stock antenna adapter in my trunk (my car came with the mopar sirius setup) so i can utilize my stock roof antenna.

Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Drew you answered all of my questions! I really appreciate the help.

Now its off to the internet to see if my iPhone will even work with the Bluetooth and iPod adapters. If anyone knows or has experience with it please let me know!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still a little confused...

2. The metra adapter has two sides - one that has to be wired to the d3 wiring, and the other side is a plug that plugs into the wiring harness in the car that normally plugs into the back of the stock radio. so you plug the metra into the car harness and then wire the other end of the metra to the d3, and plug the d3 harness into the d3
I understand what you are saying but I am still a little confused...how do the VSS, parking brake, reverse, etc. signals run through the factory plug-in? It seems like with the standard radio, the factory plug on the back would just be the basic power, ground, speaker inputs, etc.. I guess what I am wondering is how the vehicle specs (speed, brake, reverse) for the D3 are sent to the unit itself from the vehicle. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm thinking the CHTO-01 isn't gonna work for you. Its a CAN bus adapter with an amp turn-on. Since you don't have the factory amp, whats it gonna turn on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking the CHTO-01 isn't gonna work for you. Its a CAN bus adapter with an amp turn-on. Since you don't have the factory amp, whats it gonna turn on?
Any idea what I would need? The CHTO-01 and PAC adapter were the only ones I have really heard discussed on here. Is it possible that the VSS, Parking, Revese wires, etc. will still hook up to it and I just won't need to utilize the amp turn-on function?

If anyone with a Base model has added the D3, I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Any idea what I would need? The CHTO-01 and PAC adapter were the only ones I have really heard discussed on here. Is it possible that the VSS, Parking, Revese wires, etc. will still hook up to it and I just won't need to utilize the amp turn-on function?

If anyone with a Base model has added the D3, I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.
you can try using this wiring setup instead:
Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler In-dash Stereo Integration Adapter Allows you to install a new car stereo and bypass the factory amplifier at Crutchfield.com or this one
CHRYSLER DODGE 05-06 HARNESS - METRA 70-6504 - eBay (item 170222282196 end time May-30-08 17:09:58 PDT)
the VSS, Parking, Reverse, etc are all located behind the radio since the car runs off the canbus system. Canbus system puts all these wires all together in one place, so you don't have to rip your car apart to look for them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can try using this wiring setup instead:
Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler In-dash Stereo Integration Adapter Allows you to install a new car stereo and bypass the factory amplifier at Crutchfield.com or this one
CHRYSLER DODGE 05-06 HARNESS - METRA 70-6504 - eBay (item 170222282196 end time May-30-08 17:09:58 PDT)
the VSS, Parking, Reverse, etc are all located behind the radio since the car runs off the canbus system. Canbus system puts all these wires all together in one place, so you don't have to rip your car apart to look for them.
Any way of telling which wire is which behind the radio?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Any way of telling which wire is which behind the radio?
doesnt matter since you are just using an adapter with the stock wiring. the metra has a plug that plugs into the stock wiring harness, so you don't have to mess with any of the wires in the stock set of wiring. compare the wiring instructions of the pioneer harness with the metra harness. most of the wires line up as the same exact colors. some vary, but isolate the same wires for each harness and wire those together. for example, locate which wire on the metra is the vss wire, and which wire on the pioneer harness is for the vss wire, and wire those 2 together. the instructions for each will tell you exactly what each colored wire is supposed to go to.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Now its off to the internet to see if my iPhone will even work with the Bluetooth and iPod adapters. If anyone knows or has experience with it please let me know!
check out avic411.com for specific d3 info. i read on there that the iphone is compatible with the bluetooth, but you cannot automatically transfer your phonebook from the phone to the unit - you have to do it manually. not sure about ipod functionality with the iphone and the d3. i definitely know it has been discussed on avic411, just dont know off the top of my head. go to that site and do a search and it'll tell you everything you need to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts