Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm' about to have the rest of my front end done and need to sieze the opportunity to have the "shocks" replaced. When I asked Les Schwab to put in something more performance oriented, more stiffness, they friggin' threw in KYB shocks (struts) and they are basically the same as stock crappers.

Car is an '06 300C and even though it's not lowered, sometime in the future I'd like to put in SRT springs. But for now it's stock ride height but I want a something that is a pretty good job towards the stiff/performance side. The shop that's doing the work admittingly doesn't know shocks for passengercars and doesn't want to buy something that I'l be unhappy with again.

So I'm looking for anyone who has gone from stock to ....??? and can give me a brand and model number of shocks that will yield what I'm after.

So, whatch got?

TIA

·
Registered
673 Posts
Where in the northwest are you located? I'll give you my 2 cents worth on suspensions, FWIW. I have an 05 Hemi Magnum and an 06 300C SRT8, so I am familiar with the suspensions on both vehicles. If you're looking for stiffness and do a lot of road racing or mountain driving, go with the complete (front and rear) SRT8 springs, sway bars and Bilstein shocks and struts. The stock SRT shocks and struts will put you into the poor house, and the Bilsteins are more than adequate. My SRT8 is also slightly lowered, front and rear. Also if you're after handling, ditch the stock 18 in. wheels and go with a fairly wide 20 in. wheel and lower profile siped tires. My SRT8 has 10.5 in. wide custom Foose wheels, and siped (by Les Schwab) Toyo Proxes II tires, 255R40X20's in the front and 275R40X20's in the rear. Since the Magnum is mainly our highway vehicle, I didn't want as harsh a ride for it, but did modify the suspension a little bit. It has SRT8 front and rear sway bars, Bilstein struts and shocks with the stock RT springs. I have stock 300C 18 in. wheels on it , currently with 235R55X18 in. siped Toyo H/T tires front and rear. Next time it'll get the Proxes II's or III's in larger sizes with the same diameter. Its handling is quite a bit better than stock (not too harsh though) but not as good as the SRT, especially in the corners.

P1010002_renamed_14014.jpg
P1010003_renamed_12487.jpg
Copy of 1024x768-Dodge-Magnum-01.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where in the northwest are you located? I'll give you my 2 cents worth on suspensions, FWIW. I have an 05 Hemi Magnum and an 06 300C SRT8, so I am familiar with the suspensions on both vehicles. If you're looking for stiffness and do a lot of road racing or mountain driving, go with the complete (front and rear) SRT8 springs, sway bars and Bilstein shocks and struts. The stock SRT shocks and struts will put you into the poor house, and the Bilsteins are more than adequate. My SRT8 is also slightly lowered, front and rear. Also if you're after handling, ditch the stock 18 in. wheels and go with a fairly wide 20 in. wheel and lower profile siped tires. My SRT8 has 10.5 in. wide custom Foose wheels, and siped (by Les Schwab) Toyo Proxes II tires, 255R40X20's in the front and 275R40X20's in the rear. Since the Magnum is mainly our highway vehicle, I didn't want as harsh a ride for it, but did modify the suspension a little bit. It has SRT8 front and rear sway bars, Bilstein struts and shocks with the stock RT springs. I have stock 300C 18 in. wheels on it , currently with 235R55X18 in. siped Toyo H/T tires front and rear. Next time it'll get the Proxes II's or III's in larger sizes with the same diameter. Its handling is quite a bit better than stock (not too harsh though) but not as good as the SRT, especially in the corners.

View attachment 175160 View attachment 175161 View attachment 175163
I'm not racing it but with the wheel/tire set up I have now, the floaty ride allows for too much unnecessary suspension travel. Even worse when I've got the hitch mount bike rack with bikes on the rear. Since doing springs, sway bars and struts are going to be done in steps, teh struts are first up.

I have done the wheels with 20s all around, 11s in teh rtear and 9.5s up front (New Hellcat style wheels.... Finally!).

So it seems Bilsteins are the way to go, but which ones? Direct SRT8 replacements?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way. I'd do the spring and shocks/struts at the same time so you won't have to take everything apart twice. Sways can be done anytime. Also, if your light in the rear with your loaded rack on it, you're still going to have the "light, floaty" feel to some extent. It's just a matter of weight distribution. Yes, the SRT8 replacements are what you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts