Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spirited Sunday drives on the tight and twisties and track days have never tested my power steering fluid temps. An overdrive crank pulley/damper and 20 psi have destroyed a number of stock and slightly modified pumps and pulleys but never had the need to cool the fluid. A road coarse enthusiast would be the perfect respondent to this section.... any takers? Has anyone ever overheated their power steering fluid?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
This is an issue that has always puzzled me. I went to about seven road course events at various tracks around the country with my car when it was new. My track prep consisted of airing up the tires and changing all the fluids, including the power steering fluid.

Over 50 passes at the strip and what I would call some extremely abusive 'rat racing' in parking lots and country roads.

Never a peep out of my PS. My car has a decent sized cooler out in front of the condenser/trans cooler, it seems to be sufficient. But all I hear is terrible tales of woe...

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I am sure you will hear from Northern Rider on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is an issue that has always puzzled me. I went to about seven road course events at various tracks around the country with my car when it was new. My track prep consisted of airing up the tires and changing all the fluids, including the power steering fluid.

Over 50 passes at the strip and what I would call some extremely abusive 'rat racing' in parking lots and country roads.

Never a peep out of my PS. My car has a decent sized cooler out in front of the condenser/trans cooler, it seems to be sufficient. But all I hear is terrible tales of woe...
In your heat and humidity it would seem the place this problem would manifest itself. I have taken a few mountain pass dirt roads in my AWD with switchback after switchback an me cranking the wheel to the limit one way then the next. Granted it was cool mountain air and probably never more than a 1/2 hour at a time. I have upgraded my fluid to Royal Purple as a precaution to overdiving my PS pump at high rpms. For long road races especially with grit clogging the radiator fins I could see a potential problem. What have been the stories that you have heard?

I am sure you will hear from Northern Rider on this one.
Oh good, informative and entertaining. I hope he does.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
I follow a lot of forums for our cars, and many of the road racing crowd have had this issue. I seem to have missed out as I changed my PS fluid before I ever went to the track with Amsoil. I also dump it regularly at the rack when I change the oil.

BTW, with our inline thermostat I'm sure you could not overcool the trans. But you need logs of the temps to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I follow a lot of forums for our cars, and many of the road racing crowd have had this issue. I seem to have missed out as I changed my PS fluid before I ever went to the track with Amsoil. I also dump it regularly at the rack when I change the oil.

BTW, with our inline thermostat I'm sure you could not overcool the trans. But you need logs of the temps to be sure.
Thanks for the tip. I'll do a little searching elsewhere. Don't have any conviction either way but why Amsoil?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Just because we have a 20 year history here with them. I still have a lot of their products around, they are excellent.

We use whatever synthetic is on sale in our cars but i still use Amsoil in my two expensive custom built motors.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Several SRT8 pilots have had PS failures on the track. Last summer, I became one of them:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/road-course/91460-bbii-goes-up-smoke-calabogie-track-pic-heavy.html

I spent some time talking with Matt Robertson and others. Here's what i found.

• The belt driven ps pump on our cars (actually manufactured by Toyota) doesn't seem to like the hi revs genrated by the 6.1 engine on a road course.
  • The SRT has a dinky little PS cooler that actually makes the problem worse because the fluid lines step down to these tiny inlet and outlet. This ramps up pressure and heat.
  • The fluid boils over; the pump runs dry and destructs.
Solution:
  • Get a cheap, large log cooler that holds lots of fluid and takes large lines (see post below);
  • Throw away the SRT ps cooler;
  • Put a better quality fluid in. I use Quantum Blue with an additive that keeps the grommet inside the rack from going brittle.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/91082-3cf-project-thread-what-car-projects-do-you-have-works-planned.html#post1034212

If you check out my first 2 vids in my sigs, you will see that PS problems now seem to be a thing of the past (hopefully).

I'm not sure if any of this applies to your AWD, as to compatibility.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Several SRT8 pilots have had PS failures on the track. Last summer, I became one of them:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/road-course/91460-bbii-goes-up-smoke-calabogie-track-pic-heavy.html

I spent some time talking with Matt Robertson and others. Here's what i found.

• The belt driven ps pump on our cars (actually manufactured by Toyota) doesn't seem to like the hi revs genrated by the 6.1 engine on a road course.
  • The SRT has a dinky little PS cooler that actually makes the problem worse because the fluid lines step down to these tiny inlet and outlet. This ramps up pressure and heat.
  • The fluid boils over; the pump runs dry and destructs.
Solution:
  • Get a cheap, large log cooler that holds lots of fluid and takes large lines (see post below);
  • Throw away the SRT ps cooler;
  • Put a better quality fluid in. I use Quantum Blue with an additive that keeps the grommet inside the rack from going brittle.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/91082-3cf-project-thread-what-car-projects-do-you-have-works-planned.html#post1034212

If you check out my first 2 vids in my sigs, you will see that PS problems now seem to be a thing of the past (hopefully).

I'm not sure if any of this applies to your AWD, as to compatibility.
As usual a great thread. Thanks for the link. I wounder why it wasn't moved to this section. Too many sections, too little time time? I'll keep my eye on my PS fluid level more closely from now on. I did increase the diameter on my PS pulley when I went with the ATI overdrive crank damper but there is limited room and I couldn't go much bigger. I think that I'm still 5% overdrive on the pump. Good to know that there is a fairly simple solution if I do run into problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts