Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
So I just bought a 2005 300C w/ 92k miles on it. I havent owned one before, so just some basic questions and few issues:

*Check engine light came on same day I drove it off the lot (save you the venting)... One code was catalytic Bank 2, the other was the "wrong oil" one which was fixed with a simple oil change. For the catalyitic failure code, how likely is it that it is just the O2 sensor? Is there an easy test to find out? Due to how low the cars are, is it difficult to work underneath with just a car jack?

*The tire pressure light is on after getting new tires. I havent checked the pressure yet, but is it common to just turn this system off? How often is it incorrect?

*When looking for new parts, where do you shop online? I can search for 2005 300C Catalytic converter, but most sites done seem legit, and often dont clearly show what you are buying. Best to just go into an autopart store?

*Windshield fluid not spraying, although it does at the headlights. Do these use the same sprayer motor?

* The back bumper looks to have back-up sensors, although I havent heard the car beep or anything when backing up near something. IS there a chance the car does not have it, but they all use the same looking bumper?

* What is the small clear sensor on top of the dash where the dash meets the windshield in the center of the car?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Howdy,
So I just bought a 2005 300C w/ 92k miles on it. I havent owned one before, so just some basic questions and few issues:

*Check engine light came on same day I drove it off the lot (save you the venting)... One code was catalytic Bank 2, the other was the "wrong oil" one which was fixed with a simple oil change. For the catalyitic failure code, how likely is it that it is just the O2 sensor? Is there an easy test to find out? Due to how low the cars are, is it difficult to work underneath with just a car jack?

*The tire pressure light is on after getting new tires. I havent checked the pressure yet, but is it common to just turn this system off? How often is it incorrect?

*When looking for new parts, where do you shop online? I can search for 2005 300C Catalytic converter, but most sites done seem legit, and often dont clearly show what you are buying. Best to just go into an autopart store?

*Windshield fluid not spraying, although it does at the headlights. Do these use the same sprayer motor?

* The back bumper looks to have back-up sensors, although I havent heard the car beep or anything when backing up near something. IS there a chance the car does not have it, but they all use the same looking bumper?

* What is the small clear sensor on top of the dash where the dash meets the windshield in the center of the car?
Welcome to the forums. I just recently bought a 2005 300C too that had a few problems right off the lot. I can help you with a few of your problems. There isnt really a test for o2 sensors because there pretty cheap to replace. So id go ahead and just replace them since your near 100k. Secondly the parts site i have been using for about 5 years now is partsgeek.com, i have ordered around 40 parts from them and never once had a problem. I believe the little sensor on your dash is for the automatic headlights, im not 100% sure on that. I cant help you with the back up sensors since mine wasnt equipped with any. And from the sounds of what people have said about the washer sprayer is I believe there is two separate motors. If you bought the car very recent id see if the dealership you bought the car from will help you out. I had over 1,700.00$ in repairs and they picked up my bill a week after i bought mine.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1. No test for sensors other than which of the four is bad, i.e., bank 2, sensor 2; bank 1, sensor 1, etc.... You do that by reading the codes and it will tell you which one it is. There is a jacking point just in front of the rear wheels that will lift that entire side of the car up.

2. If the TPMS is on, then two things should be checked...did they remove or damage the sensor when putting on new tires? Older ones don't do well and crack. Also, are the tires at the right pressure?

3. Rock Auto dot com or your dealer are your best choices. Beyond that, Summit is another good one or go to your local shops.

4. Headlight washers initiate after each 4 sprays on the windshield, i.e., 1 out of every 4 spray button pushes. There is one pump with two outlets if I remember right.

5. Cars without the system did not come with sensors in the rear bumper. Check to make sure all the harness connections are good, make sure the sensors are relatively clean and then find a flat wall to back up towards. If still don't get beeps and lights above your rear window, then the system will have to be tested and possibly a module replaced.

6. The sensor at the base of the windshield is your automatic headlight system sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. On my "to do":

* New O2's
* Debug sprayer
* Debug Backup sensors
* Check tire pressure. If they are OK, is there a way to turn off the pressure system (assuming sensor is bad)?

Also, I forgot to mention. They replaced the outer tie rods due to clunking. It drives great on the freeway, but at lower speeds their is a metal sound to the passenger front wheel side. However, it is very "Sheet metally" sounding- high pitched twang like sheet metal is banging against the car when you go over a bump. I would guess if it was bushings or linkages in the suspension, that it would be a deeper thud sound?

Edit add: I've replaced Tie Rod ends before. As for the Struts, control arms etc if I decide to change those (the struts seem to be pretty creeky), are they all the same relative complexity to change out? I.e, once you have the car jacked up, the wheel off, etc, its not a whole lot more time to replace all the components just one or two? I've never done a strut...

Thanks!

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Yeah, while you have the wheel off and are in there, no reason not to do all the parts. The "twang" sound could be a loose heat shield near the catalytic converter. That may coincide with the bad O2 sensor reading of the heat shield has been banging on the sensor end.

You can not turn off the TPMS system.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Since tpms got brought up. I noticed my valve stems have the tpms bolt set up on them but I have never seen a way to electronically check the psi from inside the car though. Certain button you have to push??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple more questions- thanks all for the help!

TPMS: Is there a way to know if they just need batterys, or need replacing? Does one happen more than other? Is there a way to tell what wheel is failing?

New Issue: I noticed the door locks only move up down a little bit. One door goes up down well over a half inch, and now my driver side barely moves at all. Just now I had to roll down the window to use the outside handle. Now sure how the handle and door lock barely moving are correlated- is the indoor handle linked differently than the outdoor handle? Pain in the A to get to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
If your still having this many problems with the TPMS id just go order all new ones. Usually you can scoop up 4 for 50-100$. I have a 05 300C and have never been able to figure out how to find the tire pressure reading on the EVIC so im curious to how, if anyone could chime in to that problem. For your door lock problem im not really sure. I have never heard of that problem. I know some fords were notorious for bad lock mechanisms that would short out and stop working after a few years. Wish i could help you out more.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Since tpms got brought up. I noticed my valve stems have the tpms bolt set up on them but I have never seen a way to electronically check the psi from inside the car though. Certain button you have to push??
You have EVIC on your car? Use the steering wheel control buttons and the first button on the right side of the wheel, nearest the center, to check status. Push that button first, then the arrow button up on the left side 2 or 3 times to get to the TPMS display.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have EVIC on your car? Use the steering wheel control buttons and the first button on the right side of the wheel, nearest the center, to check status. Push that button first, then the arrow button up on the left side 2 or 3 times to get to the TPMS display.
My EVIC does not show anything, similar to the other poster. I get a "SYSTEM OK", even with the TPMS light on. A coworker mentioned you can get to other Engine statistics (engine temp, etc?), but I am unable to get to them. Are there different EVIC's, or did they change over the years?

PS- I also have the check engine light for catalytic failure that the EVIC doesnt show anything for ('System OK').

1 - 13 of 13 Posts