Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm a new owner of a '07 300c CRD and am looking for some help/advice.

I picked up my car a few weeks back, but unfortunately had to return my car back to the garage as there was an oil leak. This was diagnosed as a faulty engine block breather. Hoping this has now been resolved and I'll not be seeing that oil drip under the car.

On driving the car back from the garage yesterday I started hearing the noise in the video below. And I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what it might possibly be.

This was me travelling just under 30mpg, and it also happens at lower speeds to, and more intensely.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
It sounds a bit like a leak in the air intake pipework. There is also a connection with the engine oil breather - coincidence maybe? This connection is close to the turbo inlet, which is prone to leaks on early models and can result in failure of the swirl motor located right underneath the leak. So I would carefully check this pipework.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds a bit like a leak in the air intake pipework. There is also a connection with the engine oil breather - coincidence maybe? This connection is close to the turbo inlet, which is prone to leaks on early models and can result in failure of the swirl motor located right underneath the leak. So I would carefully check this pipework.
Thanks for the reply.

The car is having a full service today, and when I showed the mechanic the video his immediate response was that it was something to do with the brakes, so I'll see what they come back with.

But it's good to know the information you've provided, appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I was going to ask whether the speed of the noise varied as the speed of the car changed. My suspicion would be brakes too

Does your handbrake pedal come up fully when you pull the release? Does the squeaking change when you put your foot on the brake pedal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to ask whether the speed of the noise varied as the speed of the car changed. My suspicion would be brakes too

Does your handbrake pedal come up fully when you pull the release? Does the squeaking change when you put your foot on the brake pedal?
My first suspicion was the brakes too. The squeaking definitely intensifies at lower speeds rather than higher, and yes, when I press the brake peddle. One reason I had a little doubt with it being the brakes is that it happens when cruising along at 30mph and the brakes aren't being pressed.

As for the handbrake pedal, I haven't noticed it not being fully up when I pull the release. However there is a slight play in the release catch.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'd very much suspect the brake pads then. Could just need a service and copperslip on the back of the pads. Given the age of your car the pins that hold the calipers can seize. Also Chrysler makes the brake caliper pistons from a composite material that does swell slightly over the years. If those have never been replaced they could be sticking slightly - from experience, they all go eventually

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, appreciate the response. Hopefully it is just the brakes then. Especially with it being a new purchase for me. I'm used to have brand new cars rather than used and this is my first used car I've owned.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well welcome to the forum. Hopefully just a few niggles that you can get sorted.

Our cars are so much nicer than most of the cars available new (in my fully biased opinion!)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I had dragging brakes after new pads were fitted. Problem was sticking calipers, but there wasn't any noise, just hot wheels and poor mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well welcome to the forum. Hopefully just a few niggles that you can get sorted.

Our cars are so much nicer than most of the cars available new (in my fully biased opinion!)
Thanks

So I picked up the car from the garage after the service. And as soon as I started driving it the noise was still present so it wasn't the breaks. I'm completely baffled by what it could be now.

Also, I noticed that was a very loud clicking noise from the dash area of the car. Like something is opening and closing, or trying to.

I looked into fault HVAC noises but it doesn't sound anything like those, this is much louder and I'm totally bemused. I called the dealer this morning and told him I wanted a refund as in the month I have "owned" the car I've had it for around 15 days, and sunk around £350 into it getting it serviced and inspection ( neither of this highlighted issues bar the oil leak initially ) I want to keep it, but at the same time I'm feeling very frustrated and right now don't have a lot of confidence in driving it without something going horribly wrong and me being left with a very expensive repair bill.

I don't even know where to start with these noises.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Upate: took the car back to the garage today and got a refund. And on driving it down there I'm glad I did. About 5 miles from the garage I heard a clunk, and then a rattle, and whenever I went over any bumps in the road it sounded horrendous. I then drove it about 40 mph the rest of the, with the lovely chirping sound constantly, and a new added grinding/clunking/rattling sound. So it seems in returning it I've dodged a bullet here.

Now to look for another one.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I think you've taken the right course of action in returning the car and I would have recommended that if you hadn't already done so.

A word of warning: buying any used car of this age and particularly a CRD can be very risky, even if you are a competent DIY mechanic - just trawl through the many posts on this forum if you need confirmation. You say that you have previously only had new cars, so this recent experience may have come as a bit of a shock. I have been driving for many years, now into my ninth decade and started with secondhand cars before I could afford to buy new. Without exception, all the used cars gave me trouble, but the mechanics and electrics were much simpler in those days and well within the competence of a DIY mechanic. If you are particularly keen on a 300C, try and find one without multiple previous owners and with a full service history. You can also check out MOT history on the VOSA website and for additional re-assurance, get an RAC or AA inspection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks

So I picked up the car from the garage after the service. And as soon as I started driving it the noise was still present so it wasn't the breaks. I'm completely baffled by what it could be now.

Also, I noticed that was a very loud clicking noise from the dash area of the car. Like something is opening and closing, or trying to.

I looked into fault HVAC noises but it doesn't sound anything like those, this is much louder and I'm totally bemused. I called the dealer this morning and told him I wanted a refund as in the month I have "owned" the car I've had it for around 15 days, and sunk around £350 into it getting it serviced and inspection ( neither of this highlighted issues bar the oil leak initially ) I want to keep it, but at the same time I'm feeling very frustrated and right now don't have a lot of confidence in driving it without something going horribly wrong and me being left with a very expensive repair bill.

I don't even know where to start with these noises.
I think you’re on the right track now with a refund. I have an 2008 300C and it is awesome some of the time but the rest of the there’s always something going on. Thank god for the guys and gals on this forum because they are the greatest and only help. Because every problem I’ve had everyone else has had too. And they are always here for you. I don’t even think about selling my car when it’s not pissing me off. The horn The blend doors. The alternator. The a/c. The water pump. The fan. Trying to overheat and the thermostat. I’ve had it a little over a year. 🤷🏻‍♂️
53DB413F-5B09-4AB7-ABA5-1C274A97F2C8.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts