Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi people been a long time since ive been on the forum been so busy with work ( sorry about that) but i though you would like to know been having the alternator light come on now an then and getting worse until 2 weeks ago it wouldnt go out ..so i phone chrysler assistance they pick the car up from home within the hour and had a c class merc there for me at the same time couldnt fault them..3 days later hughes chrysler at amersham call to say all done....it turned out to be a diesel leak had been dripping into the alternator and made it go pop (they told me its the second one they have known to have gone this way)....shouldnt have happened but i couldnt fault the way chrysler dealt with it AAA+++:fing02: :fing02:

ps also had a problem with slight corrosion on the wheels which ther sorting out

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Having some interest in things mechanical, I thought I would check out the maintenance manual for alternator replacement procedure. I was expecting to find the typical procedure; ie removing drive belt and a few mounting bolts. However, I was completely taken aback by what I found. Access is obtained from under the engine and requires, amongst other things, the engine to be lifted off its mounts, the front sway bar to be disconnected and heater hoses to be disconnected. Not a DIY operation! Amazingly, Chrysler only specify 30mins labour for replacement.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Having some interest in things mechanical, I thought I would check out the maintenance manual for alternator replacement procedure. I was expecting to find the typical procedure; ie removing drive belt and a few mounting bolts. However, I was completely taken aback by what I found. Access is obtained from under the engine and requires, amongst other things, the engine to be lifted off its mounts, the front sway bar to be disconnected and heater hoses to be disconnected. Not a DIY operation! Amazingly, Chrysler only specify 30mins labour for replacement.
you think thats bad,you should try changing the rocker cover gasket on a 1.6 Y reg Renault Megane,its 7.1 hours and you need every minute.I kid you not.:scared:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts