Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted some complete car pics in the picture/media post, but what I am most interested in is what the audio dudes think of my mess.
Here is a list of audio/video mods:

Kenwood DDX7017 DVD Receiver headunit. For front seat video and nav.
Kenwood KNA-DV4100 DVD GPS Navigation System.
Kenwood KCA-iP500 Ipod Control Interface.
60 gig Ipod in glove box.
Three Alpine Type-R SWR-1242D 12" Dual 4-ohm Component Subwoofers.
Three Infinity Kappa 32.7cf 3-1/2" 2-way Speakers dash.
Four Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6"x9" 3-way Speakers, doors and rear shelf.
Pioneer AVD-W6210 6.5" Widescreen LCD, rear seat passengers.
Sony XVM-R70, above mirror. For front seat video if Kenwood unit is being used for nav duties.
One Rockford Fosgate T8004 amp for doors and rear shelf, dash seakers powered by Kenwood headunit.
One Rockford T10001bd for the three Alpine subs, has bass and amp power control mounted below key.
One Rockford Fosgate CPCC2 100 farad carbon capacitor.
One Motorola Bluetooth receiver wired to mute Kenwood headunit, center dash speaker used for handsfree calling. Also mounted below key.
Second battery mounted below nav DVD reader in trunk.
Most of the audio/video installed by my good friend and employee (manages my Company) Jerry Page.

Please let me know your opinions, good or bad.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
I love the trunk, the suede looks sweeeet. The rear monitor not in the headrest looks a little out of place...

All in all I would say A+ for sure! Nice job.

Can I get a couple pics of the Kenwood deck showing the trim kit for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
HEMI4ME? said:
Can I get a couple pics of the Kenwood deck showing the trim kit for it?
I would like to see it too.
I am going in next weekend to swap out my modded stock nav for the ddx-8017 and the nav & ipod units that go with it.

the install looks nice and I really dig the work that was done on the trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More Pics

PixelPusher said:
I would like to see it too.
I am going in next weekend to swap out my modded stock nav for the ddx-8017 and the nav & ipod units that go with it.

the install looks nice and I really dig the work that was done on the trunk.
Here are a few more pics showing a close up of the Kenwood headunit install. Its made from a Ford F150 kit (the plastic trim closest to the headunit) with a piece of 1/2" ackrylic to make up the space between the Ford trim and the opening in the center stack. It was all painted with a textured paint. I have the same headunit in my 04 F150 supercab. As far as the rear screen I did that over a year ago before complete headrest monitor units were available for the 300C. I put headrest monitors in my wifes 05 Range Rover with a DVD changer. Stock stereo though, she thinks my stuff is too complicated. Cannot decide wether to change to an overhead monitor, the factory center armrest DVD setup or headrest monitors in the 300C.
The DDX 8017 is basically the same unit with different software, it works differently than my Ford so I went with the DDX 7017. It looks pretty cool. let us know how it works for you. You can download the manuals from Crutchfield if you want to see the difference in the headunits.

Thanks for your comments. I will do my best to answer any more questions if you have any.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
K Hamlet said:
Looks good, Is it leather wrapped? How is it constructed?
It is actually vinyl. I think I may try to contact James at 22elite, and see if he can get the leather that matches the center arm rest cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
K Hamlet said:
Cannot decide wether to change to an overhead monitor, the factory center armrest DVD setup or headrest monitors in the 300C.


I would suggest the headrest monitors. The flip=downs look out-of-place in the C.
I went with the Vizualogic setup w/ dvd players in each headrest.
It allows for 3 different videos to play at once for shows etc...
Overall a clean install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Rear DVD monitors

wesexcellence said:
K Hamlet said:
Cannot decide wether to change to an overhead monitor, the factory center armrest DVD setup or headrest monitors in the 300C.


I would suggest the headrest monitors. The flip=downs look out-of-place in the C.
I went with the Vizualogic setup w/ dvd players in each headrest.
It allows for 3 different videos to play at once for shows etc...
Overall a clean install.
Sounds like good advice. I used Visulogioc headrest monitors in my wifes Rover. I am still somewhat interested in the factory option. Has anybody seen the factory center console setup in person? It is for sell at Wyckoff Chrysler, a sponsor of this forum. Must it be used with factory equipment or can it be patched into an aftermarket setup like mine?

If anyone knows please advise.
Thanks again for your assistance.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
K Hamlet said:
Sounds like good advice. I used Visulogioc headrest monitors in my wifes Rover. I am still somewhat interested in the factory option. Has anybody seen the factory center console setup in person? It is for sell at Wyckoff Chrysler, a sponsor of this forum. Must it be used with factory equipment or can it be patched into an aftermarket setup like mine?

If anyone knows please advise.
Thanks again for your assistance.

This install looks much better!!! Very clean, don't take this the wrong way, I love the C but it looks like some monitors were thrown in it... The Range looks very custom!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
K Hamlet said:
Sounds like good advice. I used Visulogioc headrest monitors in my wifes Rover. I am still somewhat interested in the factory option. Has anybody seen the factory center console setup in person? It is for sell at Wyckoff Chrysler, a sponsor of this forum. Must it be used with factory equipment or can it be patched into an aftermarket setup like mine?

If anyone knows please advise.
Thanks again for your assistance.
I've seen it up close...the factory unit is okay but headrests each with a monitor is the way to go. They want $1100 for one 7" monitor that replaces about a third of the center console armrest with a flip up screen. It is nifty but nowhere near as nice as hearest monitors.

I had 2X7" Panasonic installed in my Ram's headrests and use a PlayStation 2 as the DVD player and obviously as the game player. Not crazy about the Playstation compared to an Xbox for game play but an Xbox is too big and the hard drive acts weird on cold days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Install help

PixelPusher said:
Hi K Hamlet can you PM me the contact info for the shop that did your install? My audio guy is having trouble with the speed sensor and the same nav unit you have installed. The rest of the install is done but he's at an impasse!

thanks so much man!
-
Hey PixelPusher,

My install was done by a good friend of mine at his home. He also had a little trouble with the Nav but figured it out, he is a sharp guy. I will contact him and see if he wants to give a hand. He runs my plumbing company also, so if I do not catch him this weekend I will see him Monday. I will respond, or he will.

You will love the headunit, it does damn near everything/anything. Hook it up to an Ipod and you can take your entire cd collection with you at all times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear video

sorbs said:
I've seen it up close...the factory unit is okay but headrests each with a monitor is the way to go. They want $1100 for one 7" monitor that replaces about a third of the center console armrest with a flip up screen. It is nifty but nowhere near as nice as hearest monitors.

I had 2X7" Panasonic installed in my Ram's headrests and use a PlayStation 2 as the DVD player and obviously as the game player. Not crazy about the Playstation compared to an Xbox for game play but an Xbox is too big and the hard drive acts weird on cold days.
Hey sorbs,
Thanks for the info. I do believe I will go with the headrest units. I am planning on checking out the new X box and Playstation units when they come out. I too prefer the X box, but I will wait and see which one is more auto freindly. I have heard about a 9" screen headrest for the 300C. I think I will try and locate these units.

Thanks again for input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Thanks very much k Hamlet
Apparently the kenwood nav unit does not like the signal from the VSS wire in the 300 and it freaks out the speed sensor. I guess kenwood has not switched over to just using the GPS info for "time remaining" etc in the nav unit.

Any help your friend can offer would be greatly appreciated. At this point my installer is going to try and use a trick he once did on a mercedes with a similar problem and use an aftermarket speed sensor to feed the nav unit the signal it needs.

I'm sure all this troubleshooting will disappear when someone gets a canbus unit out there... come on JonW! we need you!

Thanks again K Hamlet looking forward to any help your friend can provide!




K Hamlet said:
Hey PixelPusher,

My install was done by a good friend of mine at his home. He also had a little trouble with the Nav but figured it out, he is a sharp guy. I will contact him and see if he wants to give a hand. He runs my plumbing company also, so if I do not catch him this weekend I will see him Monday. I will respond, or he will.

You will love the headunit, it does damn near everything/anything. Hook it up to an Ipod and you can take your entire cd collection with you at all times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
bump..

K Hamlet is your buddy willing to share info? My installer has all but exhausted his resources.. the "old trick" he tried won't work on our cars due to the abundance of electrical signals flying around the beast.. too much interference.

I'm sure the info would help 300 owners everywhere as the kenwood units are pretty popular!

I tried to PM you my email but you're set to not recieve PM's or emails

thx
-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Install help

PixelPusher said:
bump..

K Hamlet is your buddy willing to share info? My installer has all but exhausted his resources.. the "old trick" he tried won't work on our cars due to the abundance of electrical signals flying around the beast.. too much interference.

I'm sure the info would help 300 owners everywhere as the kenwood units are pretty popular!

I tried to PM you my email but you're set to not recieve PM's or emails

thx
-Steve

Hey Steve sorry for the delay,
My friend has been reroofing his home, I did talk to him today. He did not hook up that wire, he believes it only pertains to the ETA function. My nav works great, though I never use the ETA function.

Sorry, I know you hope I had the answer. Does your Nav not work at all ?
If so maybe I can get him to help after his roofing is done. We are expecting thundershowers. He is only working a partial day today so he can tarp his home.

I wish I could have been of more help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
thanks so much for the reply man. I told him I didn't really care about the ETA function either as long as the nav knows where the car is on the map but he said something was flaky and the nav would show the car someplace it wasn't after the speed started to go crazy.

He's trying something else out tomorrow and hopefully I'll have it back wed. and be able to report any new findings.

Thanks for the info! every little bit helps.
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Top