21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
295s, nice!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
unsprung weight, rotational weight, tire diameter...all splitting hairs. As one writer accurately described, tire diameter is what effects overall gear ratio, not wheel diameter. Anywhere you can shave weight, i.e. wheels, without sacrificing a desired area like safety or ride quality, is a good thing if you're willing to pay more for less weight. Less weight equates to better gas mileage as well, albeit unnoticeable for component-by-component weight reduction.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Blair said:
unsprung weight, rotational weight, tire diameter...all splitting hairs. As one writer accurately described, tire diameter is what effects overall gear ratio, not wheel diameter. Anywhere you can shave weight, i.e. wheels, without sacrificing a desired area like safety or ride quality, is a good thing if you're willing to pay more for less weight. Less weight equates to better gas mileage as well, albeit unnoticeable for component-by-component weight reduction.
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but...

Your statement is correct. Overall diameter is what affects the mechanical gearing ratio. But to say that it's splitting hairs as to where the weight sits is not correct. Weight further from the center of gravity means a lot. There's a reason that serious drag racers use the smallest wheels possible with the brakes they have and make up the diameter with a tall tire. Yes, a pliable sidewall helps traction, but keeping the weight close to center means a lot too. When I was seriously drag racing my 2000 LS1, lightweight wheels, front and back, was good for 2/10th's (a lot in drag racing).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Correct again. When I said "splitting hairs", I was speaking from a street car perspective. There are many things that can be done to squeeze a few tenths out of a 1/4-mile, but these take away from the primary purpose of the street car.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I certainly agree with the comments regarding the affect of tire diameter on "effective" gearing, but the difference in times can not be blamed on tire diameter on this car. The 295/30-22 actually measures slightly LESS in diameter than the stock 255/45-20's on the SRT8. This would equate to a higher (numerical) rear-end ratio and better 1/4 mile times.

:hijacked:

·
Registered
267 Posts
My time slips posted below. The first 3 are all with 22s, with and without BG flash. The last run is on stock 20s with BG flash, with 22s at front. All runs done at 80-85 degrees temp, almost identical conditions.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts