Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A chap on an alternative motoring website is contemplating the purchase of a 300C CRD but is rather concerned that a 300C CRD owner has told him that he has to renew brake pads on his car every 3 months. I am not aware of what mileage is being covered but 4 sets of pads annually appears to be somewhat excessive to me.

Not yet being a 300C owner, it would be appreciated if owners could provide some data based upon their personal experience of brake pad wear in order that I could update the potential 300C owner.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mines 18 months old 18,000 on the clock still plenty on meat on the pads. dealer told me his seen them last to 30-40,000

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have an SRT8 and the Dusty Pads. I changed them out to the Centric Posi Quiets at 11,000 miles.
The original pads had at least 75% of the pad material left. So that translates into at least 40,000 miles per pad set. And that's the high performance Brembo's.
I think anyone who has to change their pads 4 times per year has a serious brake issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
At 9000 miles both front and rear had 70% wear left

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not to be an A$$ but do you drive with your foot on the brake?? There must be something wrong.
Do you tow a boat? Do you take it to the track? Do you ride the brakes?
Have you brought it to the dealership? Have youtaken it to a brake shop to get it checked and ask what's up? Did anyone try to tell you that the wear was normal for your car??
Let us know if you find anything wrong.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Every 3 months does not sound right for break pads.

For me, after 3 years they still looked good to go for another 6-9 months. I was surprised to this. In the past I needed to change them after 2 - 2.5 years.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
brake pads should be lasting around 40000 miles surely, maybe this guy does 160,000 a year ???????

·
Registered
395 Posts
300 SRT8 125,000km total. Got 92,000km out of the front pads, 48,000km out of first back set, have 77,000km on current rear set.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Something is definately wrong. Could they be installing the wrong pad materials to this car? MAybe they are really cheap pads. I would do the next brake job myself just to make sure. Then the dealership would be involved for sure.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Done nearly 60,000 km (36,000 miles) still on the original sets front and back, probably need changing soon as the front squeals a little occasionaly.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to be an A$$ but do you drive with your foot on the brake?? There must be something wrong.
Do you tow a boat? Do you take it to the track? Do you ride the brakes?
Have you brought it to the dealership? Have youtaken it to a brake shop to get it checked and ask what's up? Did anyone try to tell you that the wear was normal for your car??
Let us know if you find anything wrong.

Re my OP...I have updated the relevant website with your collective responses and requested whether the relevant 300C owner has raised the problem with Chrysler etc. I will post a response on this thread should I receive any further info.

·
Registered
448 Posts
31,000 miles, 2 yrs 3 months, my pads are still fine!

Hope all is ok with you, Geordie.

Just

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
31,000 miles, 2 yrs 3 months, my pads are still fine!

Hope all is ok with you, Geordie.

Just

Hi 'Just'..

Everything now OK and should be ready to acquire my 300C CRD in the not too distant future. I did go through a period whereby the new Jaguar XF caused me to 'wobble' but I have now dismissed that from the equation re the thought of paying about £14k extra for a similar specced version to the Chrysler and for less kerb appeal! Having recently seen a rather grubby XF on the road it did look somewhat anonymous and I did have to take a second glance to verify that it was in fact an XF...end of contest!

Hard to believe you have had your car over 2 years!

Regards

Derek S

·
Registered
519 Posts
Almost 19,000 miles on mine; needed a skim at c10k miles due to an emergency stop at a roundabout!

Whats the address of this website? We need to defend the 300C reputation! Quite a few sites have bad comments including this (2007 Chrysler 300 C Review - Carsurvey.org) and Which mag have just published their 2008 car survey. Chrysler/Dodge came bottom in areas like reliability. And despite their being too few respondents to reach an opinion on the 300c Which have said it's unreliable and marked it down because it doesn't have side airbags (I think BigIan might be able to verify that it does).

I used to get this same negativity on my Omega; it was supposed to be beset by electrical and reliability issues but my 95N did 77k and my 98S did 98k without a hitch.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Re my OP...I have updated the relevant website with your collective responses and requested whether the relevant 300C owner has raised the problem with Chrysler etc. I will post a response on this thread should I receive any further info.

RTP SRT8...

The contributor from the other website who originally raised the subject matter re brake pad wear has since indicated that he is unaware of the relevant 300C owner's ID so I am unable to resolve the query.

Rgr...

The other reputable website is Honest John and the subject matter is under the 'Back Room Motoring Forum' within the 'Discussion' sub forum and under the topic heading 'Chrysler 300C - brake wear'. Be aware that the contributor was not being critical of the 300C but was merely raising the subject prior to him acquiring a 300C CRD.

Derek S

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi 'Just'..

Everything now OK and should be ready to acquire my 300C CRD in the not too distant future. I did go through a period whereby the new Jaguar XF caused me to 'wobble' but I have now dismissed that from the equation re the thought of paying about £14k extra for a similar specced version to the Chrysler and for less kerb appeal! Having recently seen a rather grubby XF on the road it did look somewhat anonymous and I did have to take a second glance to verify that it was in fact an XF...end of contest!
Glad too hear you are taking the plunge - I like the dark leather interior of the '08 model, and you should hopefully escape the issues with wheel corrosion with the new design. That and a badly routed vacuum pipe have really been the only major issues so far in my 2 years of ownership - touch wood!

I must admit, I liked the look of the XF myself when the first press articles came out, but when you see it in the flesh, it is a liitle too Mondeo like. Like the interior touches like the circular gear selector though.

Hard to believe you have had your car over 2 years!

Regards

Derek S
Yes, it doesn't seem like yesterday when I joined the forum, and yourself & Murphy, along with a few others, Belmont CJ, John W etc. reassured me in my decision to go for it.

Suppose you'll have to stick that 22 elite centre console cover of yours on ebay now you're getting an '08 model!

Take care

Just

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would do the next brake job myself just to make sure.
For those of us in the UK, are we okay warranty wise changing our own pads - as long as we use the original equipment / source them from the dealer?

It's just that when they do (eventually) need doing, I am tempted to replace them myself, as I have done for many years on my ageing BMW 5 series.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts