Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
cam quality

one of the things taught to me very young by my aircraft certified mentor: ALWAYS check a new cam before installing it. They are really long in some engines and easily bent.

Note that we are talking about thousandths of an inch here!

Many backyard motors have died early as a result of this defect in cheeeeep cams. I got one from Crane once that was bent, but it is generally rare.

artichoke said:
That's not obvious to me. Depending on how it was packed and where an impact came, the force could have been spread over a relatively large area. This might cause bending more easily than "plastic" deformation on the surface. As an extreme example consider bending a paperclip.

After all, you were able to fix the problem by bending it back, without deforming the surface.

They might indicate that, but it seems doubtful to me. UPS (or whoever the shipping company was) saying they could easily fix a precision machine part? What the h*** do they know about it?
"They", being the company doing the analysis on the cam. Suffice to say, "They" are one of the largest cam manufacturers in the US. I'll leave it at, "They" know and "They" could. :)

Discussion starter · #63 ·
XCITsNU said:
"They", being the company doing the analysis on the cam. Suffice to say, "They" are one of the largest cam manufacturers in the US. I'll leave it at, "They" know and "They" could. :)
Well in that case I expect they could. I thought they were a different they.

What does XCITsNU stand for?:stups: I've tried spelling it backwards, looking at the letters upside down, I know it's not a vegetable because I know all about vegetables ... can't guess what it is! But I'll apologize profusely if you tell me that's what your mommy named you!

Sorry, artichoke. I guess that could come across a little out of context, now that I read it again. Voice inflection and all not quite coming across in the text format.

Its a metaphor. It talks to how the 300 (insert LX vehicle here) makes you feel.

Excites In You
XCITsNU

I guess it could be related to what my mommy named me, because it speaks greatly to my personality. I get people motivated for a living and I love what I do.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
XCITsNU said:
Sorry, artichoke. I guess that could come across a little out of context, now that I read it again. Voice inflection and all not quite coming across in the text format.

Its a metaphor. It talks to how the 300 (insert LX vehicle here) makes you feel.

Excites In You
XCITsNU

I guess it could be related to what my mommy named me, because it speaks greatly to my personality. I get people motivated for a living and I love what I do.
I respect that, it's something I'm no good at. I have tried some teaching and most of the students hated it! I was standing there, I was excited but they weren't.

artichoke said:
Well in that case I expect they could. I thought they were a different they.

What does XCITsNU stand for?:stups: I've tried spelling it backwards, looking at the letters upside down, I know it's not a vegetable because I know all about vegetables ... can't guess what it is! But I'll apologize profusely if you tell me that's what your mommy named you!
What is the only fruit to wear it's seeds on the outside?
What is the most consumed fruit in the world?
What variety of Bananas is consumed most in the US?
Artichokes are part of what flower family?
What's the difference between a sweet potato and a yam?

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Hey I didn't claim I knew everything about fruits or roots ...
cvp33 said:
What is the only fruit to wear it's seeds on the outside?
strawberry
cvp33 said:
What is the most consumed fruit in the world?
I guess apples or bananas -- do the cold or warm climates win?
cvp33 said:
What variety of Bananas is consumed most in the US?
Dole :)
cvp33 said:
Artichokes are part of what flower family?
composite
cvp33 said:
What's the difference between a sweet potato and a yam?
I've heard that they are just roots of different plants with different color (orange vs. yellow), but also that to some people there is no difference.

How'd I do? I'm sure Dole is right at least, says it right on the label :bsflag:

artichoke said:
Hey I didn't claim I knew everything about fruits or roots ...

strawberry
I guess apples or bananas -- do the cold or warm climates win?
Dole :)
composite
I've heard that they are just roots of different plants with different color (orange vs. yellow), but also that to some people there is no difference.

How'd I do? I'm sure Dole is right at least, says it right on the label :bsflag:
Strawberries - Correct!
Most consumed fruit worldwide - Mango
Bananas variety - Cavendish
Artichokes - Sunflower
Sweet Potato is a potato, Yam is a squash. Yams only grow in South America.

Lesson over. :)

mmmm

gotta love those vegetables.

Cams and Cabbages?

cvp33 said:
Strawberries - Correct!
Most consumed fruit worldwide - Mango
Bananas variety - Cavendish
Artichokes - Sunflower
Sweet Potato is a potato, Yam is a squash. Yams only grow in South America.

Lesson over. :)
As well as understanding cam dynamics I have a passing interest in Botany

I was really tempted to answer the quiz, but as the question was posed for Artichoke in his thread I restrained my impulse and let you guys have the fun.

A couple of the answers did not jive with my knowledge so here are the correct answers

The normally accepted version of the artichoke is an edible thistle, brought to California by Italians in the 1800's. Only the Jerusalem artichoke which is neither an artichoke nor from Jerusalem is related to the sunflower.

The sweet potato has a edible storage root (though not a tuber like the regular supermarket potato) - a member of the Convolvulaceae(same as Morning glory), and is grown in the USA. However a yam is not related to the squash family unless under the very very broad umbrella of "vascular plants" . The yam is a member of the Dioscorea family Squashes are members of the cucumber family Cucurbita (cucumbers, pickles)

sweetpotato compared with yams. Yams grow in the Caribbean

In 1949, Marilyn Monroe was crowned the first official California Artichoke Queen. How about them apples?

Zilla

goddardzilla said:
As well as understanding cam dynamics I have a passing interest in Botany

I was really tempted to answer the quiz, but as the question was posed for Artichoke in his thread I restrained my impulse and let you guys have the fun.

A couple of the answers did not jive with my knowledge so here are the correct answers

The normally accepted version of the artichoke is an edible thistle, brought to California by Italians in the 1800's. Only the Jerusalem artichoke which is neither an artichoke nor from Jerusalem is related to the sunflower.

The sweet potato has a edible storage root (though not a tuber like the regular supermarket potato) - a member of the Convolvulaceae(same as Morning glory), and is grown in the USA. However a yam is not related to the squash family unless under the very very broad umbrella of "vascular plants" . The yam is a member of the Dioscorea family Squashes are members of the cucumber family Cucurbita (cucumbers, pickles)

sweetpotato compared with yams. Yams grow in the Caribbean

In 1949, Marilyn Monroe was crowned the first official California Artichoke Queen. How about them apples?

Zilla

Zilla,

Aritchokes are part of the Sunflower family. Look here:
http://www.dole5aday.com/Grownups/Fun/G_DidYouKnow.jsp?topmenu=3

I won't argue the Yam/Sweet Potato with you. Most people assume they are the same. I can say however that a Sweet Potato has more Vitamin A than any other vegetable. A Yam has no Vitamin A.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
goddardzilla said:
(omitting correct, scholarly, but less critical information about some plants) ...
Zilla
I like 'em! Speaks to good taste on the part of the farmers as well as Ms. Monroe. How d'ya like my new avatar?

Discussion starter · #73 ·
cvp33 said:
Zilla,

Aritchokes are part of the Sunflower family. Look here:
http://www.dole5aday.com/Grownups/Fun/G_DidYouKnow.jsp?topmenu=3

I won't argue the Yam/Sweet Potato with you. Most people assume they are the same. I can say however that a Sweet Potato has more Vitamin A than any other vegetable. A Yam has no Vitamin A.
They don't say that those are Cavendish bananas. They would probably agree with me, that they are Dole bananas! :)

Regarding artichokes I suspect that Zilla is correct. What the heck does Dole know about artichokes??

artichoke said:
I like 'em! Speaks to good taste on the part of the farmers as well as Ms. Monroe. How d'ya like my new avatar?
The avatar does it for me.

Back on track.

The 6.1 cam mystery might be solved at SOCAL meet when we have access to DCX personnel.

Your diligent detective

Zilla

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.