Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

New Goodyear 225/60/18

37K views 133 replies 43 participants last post by  KC300C 
#1 · (Edited)
CDG (forum member) put me on to this info, Goodyear has a new tire, Assurance Comfortread in 225/60-18. OD of 28.6 but no weight listed. They claim to isolate bumps from potholes etc. which is exactly what I am looking for, 80,000 mile tire, they emphasize comfort and premium touring, and ride. I suspect handling is not so high on the list, do you know any 80K tire that handles great?. I'll gladly give up some handling over all the steering jiggles and bumps I now have with the jelly wall contis. I am due to get the BFG KDWS tomorrow, going to study this goodyear and decide by high noon.

#3 ·
Ummm...the words: "Tires", "Minivan" and "300C" should never be used in the same sentence. :AR15firin

#5 ·
Contis and 300C

Lol at OEM contis and 300 C! I am watching this thread with interest since I really dont like the bumps and grinds I am getting on normal roads right now- but Im not willing to ditch these tires till they are worn normally....On the LX forums, there was some dissent about the goodyears..Would like to know how the goodrichs work out..

Jaydee

#6 ·
I had BF Goodrich Traction T/A V rated tired on my 01 Lexus GS 300. Very nice ride and control. Hope they come out with this size within the next year or so.

#9 ·
Latest update, I have had the GY ComforTread 225/60-18 for a week now, still blissful. I do notice the steering kick is present but much less (70%) and muted when it occurs. I test drove the Odyssey over the same broken pavement resulting in similar steering wheel kick which I never paid any attention to before in the van, it is very mild and "normal" for some R&P steering. Very glad I got rid of the Contis (any replacement would be an improvement). Wierd, the Conti Eco I had on the 300E were fine tires.

#10 ·
Katrina is blowing up the Ohio valley, the GY CT is spectacular in the rain, braking is very impressive. Since I never hydroplaned or broke traction with the contis in the rain I can't really compare cornering in the rain but they are very taught around corners and very confident on the freeway. The biggest difference is braking, it is really noticeable. May be related to what some called a high rolling resistance resulting in a bit less mpg in the Tire Rack survey.

#11 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
Katrina is blowing up the Ohio valley, the GY CT is spectacular in the rain, braking is very impressive. Since I never hydroplaned or broke traction with the contis in the rain I can't really compare cornering in the rain but they are very taught around corners and very confident on the freeway. The biggest difference is braking, it is really noticeable. May be related to what some called a high rolling resistance resulting in a bit less mpg in the Tire Rack survey.

Interesting. Thanks for the update!

#13 ·
I just returned tonight from the Cleveland trip. The GY ComforTread is a great tire if you are vexed by the overly harsh impact, rear step, and steering kick on bumps. Now that I have more miles I am really pleased I got rid of the Contis. The drive was thoroughly enjoyable on the same road that was miserable on the Contis.

The ride is softer, far less impact harshness. Steering wheel kick (fairly normal for some R&P systems) is better but still more that I prefer.
That awful rear step on bumps in curves and rear jutting slightly sideways on bumps on straights has been 100% eliminated. The entire trip I did not once have a rear twitch/kick on the exact same road a month ago with the Contis that had the rear end bouncing and kicking sideways down the freeway. This is a very significant improvement. On ramps, straights and even off camber bumps in construction zones there was absolutely no movement of the rear end, steering kick was still felt a times in these situations and is now tolerable.
Freeway ride is very smooth and quiet but the Contis were not bad in this area on smooth pavement.
Wet braking is phenomenal.

Above 80mph, with Contis the car was not as stable or sharp as I would like especially approaching 100, no where close to any BMW. I think it is in steering feel, no better no worse with GY

I think several things are at play: Tires, shocks, springs, excessive unsprung weight, and perhaps bushings.
Tires can help compensate for an under developed/tuned suspension. Clearly BMW was not the benchmark and this suspension was not tested at the Nurburgring like the CTS.

Why with IRS (stock tires) did the rear kick out on freeway bumps on curves. My 79 Lesabre with solid axle, 88 Beretta and 99 Saab both with twist beam rears never did this.

The car is fairly floaty above 85 yet rode like a wood wagon on bumps (stock tries). I suspect far more than a poor tire choice though that is a big part of it. I did not notice all the bouncing on my trip to the Brickyard last year, maybe a function of the Contis after some miles accumulated.

Smoothness and great performance in dry, wet, and reportedly snow are all attributes of this ComforTread. Some handling is given up but is minimal for most conditions. This is not a racing tire (nor is the Conti). I suspect the GY Triple Tread when available in our size will give the extra edge in handling, reinforced tread blocks, 2 ply sidewalls etc. but will likely yield less smoothness.

Some reviews at TR report a decrease in MPG with the GY, On the freeway only, at 70mph, I got 24.8 which included some eastern OH low hills. On my trip to Charleston last year before I hit the mountains (on Contis) I got 25 and dropped to 22 in the mountains.

This Cleveland trip was very pleasurable with the rear solidly planted on the ground and far less action with the steering wheel. I think perhaps any different tire would give good results.

#14 ·
I just returned tonight from the Cleveland trip. The GY ComforTread is a great tire if you are vexed by the overly harsh impact, rear step, and steering kick on bumps. Now that I have more miles I am really pleased I got rid of the Contis. The drive was thoroughly enjoyable on the same road that was miserable on the Contis.

The ride is softer, far less impact harshness. Steering wheel kick (fairly normal for some R&P systems) is better but still more that I prefer.
That awful rear step on bumps in curves and rear jutting slightly sideways on bumps on straights has been 100% eliminated...
Welcome back home safely, II kings. Outstanding post (your norm, BTW), and much appreciated. It's good to have a confirmed clearly superior alternative to the Contis.

I, too, find the steering wheel kick bothersome, and was disappointed to read that, though dimished, it's still noticeable. Anyone know of an aftermarket steering damper that will work on the C? Hopefully, II kings, there will be a way to eliminate it.

ChasB, or others running the Goodyear F1 Supercar tire, do you still get steering wheel kick?

Has anyone solved the problem?

#15 ·
Hopefully the Goodyears still perform well after 10K, or so miles.
I have almost 10K on my conti self sealers and they started squealing like a pig about 1k ago. Man, I am a mess trying to decide whether to go to 20", or get a better tire like you did, and stay with the stock rim. It is hard to find a one piece 20" rim less than 35lbs, vs. our stocker's 24lbs. I hate spending +$5k on good forged rims. But thanks for the update. At least it is encouraging there is still a good alternative with new tires.

#16 ·
Welcome home II kings! I'm encouraged to hear of the improvements you've experienced after changing tires. I experienced much improvement as well after the new springs and stabilizers; less floaty, almost no body roll and the rear kick-out is gone, but my C is still wearing her old shoes (something I'd like to change soon). It's good to hear I might even experience further improvement with new rubber, based on your assessment. And it's good to have another option from which to choose... thanks for sharing the info..
I really like the agressive look of the tire NR chose as well.

Joey, since doing the Hotchkis setup, and after my little adventure with fatchance's 22's for a day, I have stopped agonizing over that decision :)

#18 ·
One other point on these tires, I am thrilled with my choice and the handling for me is great, my recent ticket (first in 17 years) has clipped my wings a bit. They are softer and smoother than stock (a very good thing) and handling is as good as stock? (may be a little less crisp, IMO steering response is better) but if you need track-like performance or very sharp reflexes you will be better served with NRs BFG choice. Remember the Contis are not aggressive either. It all depends on your needs, I needed to get the unruly suspension under control not Z rated cornering or speeds (they are H rated btw, 4mph above the limiter). For me, in this car, I would not have any other tire than the ComforTread, this illustrates how vexing the problem was. As I mentioned, the steering kick is now tolerable but unfortunately not banished like the awful rear end problem.

I want to reiterate the difference in the rear end jutting and kicking out. It is 100% GONE on all sorts of bumps and irregular pavement with new tires only!!! Seems HEMEEE has similar results with tweaking the suspension and stock tires. HEMEEE, do you havs self seals? This confirms my suspicion that more than tires are at play here, shocks, springs, tires etc. Changing one or more of these components may result in dramatic improvement in the rear kick out on bumpy curves and rear flick in straight bumps. Something back there is underdeveloped and I think the Contis exposed the problem, GY and others mask it. Leave it to Chryco engineers to select probably the only tire on the planet to bring out the worst in their suspension design. Yes the 98-03 E class, modified, carrying an extra 500 lbs, and all that excessive unsprung weight. Seems the SRT8 boys got it right as we don't hear the same complaints from them.

Meister, a few weeks after I bought my C (6/26/04), I contacted a supplier for steering stabilizers, no luck. My 87 300E had a steering shock absorber like some heavy trucks. This was a recirculating ball system, TMK I don't know of any stabilizer systems for R&P steering. NE1 else know about this? I think a steering shock would eliminate any remaining kick, maybe it's time for a little research.

#19 ·
Btw, I just drove my dad's new Chevy HHR (rental, hehehe), it draws as much attention as the C. There is absolutely ZERO steering wheel kick and I hit every manhole depression, ridge, and pothole I could find, the steering wheel not only did not kick, you could not even feel a tug on the wheel. The steering is tight, precise and very nicely weighted so we cant say "because the C steering is so precise (it is not) it will be more sensitive to road imperfections", blah blah blah.... service dept. script.

#20 ·
One other point on these tires, I am thrilled with my choice and the handling for me is great, my recent ticket (first in 17 years) has clipped my wings a bit. They are softer and smoother than stock (a very good thing) and handling is as good as stock? (may be a little less crisp, IMO steering response is better) but if you need track-like performance or very sharp reflexes you will be better served with NRs BFG choice. Remember the Contis are not aggressive either. It all depends on your needs, I needed to get the unruly suspension under control not Z rated cornering or speeds (they are H rated btw, 4mph above the limiter). For me, in this car, I would not have any other tire than the ComforTread, this illustrates how vexing the problem was. As I mentioned, the steering kick is now tolerable but unfortunately not banished like the awful rear end problem.

I want to reiterate the difference in the rear end jutting and kicking out. It is 100% GONE on all sorts of bumps and irregular pavement with new tires only!!! Seems HEMEEE has similar results with tweaking the suspension and stock tires. HEMEEE, do you havs self seals? This confirms my suspicion that more than tires are at play here, shocks, springs, tires etc. Changing one or more of these components may result in dramatic improvement in the rear kick out on bumpy curves and rear flick in straight bumps. Something back there is underdeveloped and I think the Contis exposed the problem, GY and others mask it. Leave it to Chryco engineers to select probably the only tire on the planet to bring out the worst in their suspension design. Yes the 98-03 E class, modified, carrying an extra 500 lbs, and all that excessive unsprung weight. Seems the SRT8 boys got it right as we don't hear the same complaints from them.

Meister, a few weeks after I bought my C (6/26/04), I contacted a supplier for steering stabilizers, no luck. My 87 300E had a steering shock absorber like some heavy trucks. This was a recirculating ball system, TMK I don't know of any stabilizer systems for R&P steering. NE1 else know about this? I think a steering shock would eliminate any remaining kick, maybe it's time for a little research.
II kings, first... congrats on hitting the 3,000 posts mark! :biggrin:

Yes, I do have the ContiSeals, which is what leads me to believe, as do you, that it is a combo cause and effect that may be all but gone after I lose the Contis... we shall see.

The springs and sway bars have made a definite improvement in the understeer, but I don't recall having any issues with steering kick.
As I said, the rear kick-out is gone, and that goes for both curves and straights, but as for your remark "Something back there is underdeveloped"... well, if you could only see the diff in the stock rear stabilizer as compared to the Hotchkis you would wonder no more! I regret, and apologize for, not having taken photos while the wheels were off both my car and fatchance's... but to quote him when he saw the diff "makes mine look like angel hair pasta". Seeing the comparo numbers just doesn't make the impact that seeing them side by side does. I highly recommend these sway bars for those unhappy with the handling, even if you're not interested in the springs, they can be purchased separately.

Since reading your review, I'm anticipating a tire change more than ever, but for now my extra money is going to a different lady's cause... Katrina!

#21 ·
Jim do you mean tracking?

I still get a bit of tracking left to right, but not always like I did with the conti's

Meister said:
Welcome back home safely, II kings. Outstanding post (your norm, BTW), and much appreciated. It's good to have a confirmed clearly superior alternative to the Contis.

I, too, find the steering wheel kick bothersome, and was disappointed to read that, though dimished, it's still noticeable. Anyone know of an aftermarket steering damper that will work on the C? Hopefully, II kings, there will be a way to eliminate it.

ChasB, or others running the Goodyear F1 Supercar tire, do you still get steering wheel kick?

Has anyone solved the problem?
`

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks Hemeee, 3000 posts is fairly ridiculous, but I can't help it. :silly:

I did not comment on the tracking b/c they did an alignment and full credit may not go to the tires. Right and left crown sensitivity was already improved after the bolt kit last year is much better with the GY, far less pressure on the wheel to go straight.

I like the idea of a better sway bar, and maybe springs, what's the damage $$ Hemeee. What I really need is perfect steering, as I said, tolerable now, much improved, but less than perfect. Funny some don't have the steering kick.

#23 ·
.......3000 posts is fairly ridiculous......
It depends on the posts.....there are other forums I frequent....in one of those other forums, the "leader" is a joke and his/her posts, in my opinion, are a detriment to the forum....that is not the case here.

#25 · (Edited)
...Meister, a few weeks after I bought my C (6/26/04), I contacted a supplier for steering stabilizers, no luck. My 87 300E had a steering shock absorber like some heavy trucks. This was a recirculating ball system, TMK I don't know of any stabilizer systems for R&P steering. NE1 else know about this? I think a steering shock would eliminate any remaining kick, maybe it's time for a little research.
Thanks for the input, II kings. And I've read your & others further posts about better suspension components (like HEMEEE's, for example) taking most of the steering kick out even when running the stock Contis. That's highly useful, and encouraging, information.

On the topic of tires, here's what TR user surveys say about some of the tires we see mentioned on this forum. (Tire noise is a biggie to me, BTW, as I have two tin ears from three decades of being up close & personal with jet engines. Accordingly, I've listed the tires in order from loudest to quietest, with all rated areas included.) OK, here's the list:

Tire ratings, TireRack, sorted by noise from worst to best, selected tires:

6.4 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+HX+MXM4

Dry Traction: 7.1
Wet Traction: 5.8
Hydro Resistance: 5.8
Snow Traction: 4.4
Cornering Stability: 6.4
Steering Response: 6.7
Ride Comfort: 6.7
Noise Comfort: 6.4
Tread Wear: 6.2

6.7 BFG KDWs: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+KDW

Dry Traction: 9.0
Wet Traction: 8.2
Hydro Resistance: 7.9
Cornering Stability: 8.8
Steering Response: 8.8
Ride Comfort: 7.2
Noise Comfort: 6.7
Tread Wear: 6.9

6.9 ContiTouringContact CH95: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiTouringContact+CH95
(300C RWD OEM tire)

Dry Traction: 7.6
Wet Traction: 6.8
Hydro Resistance: 6.8
Snow Traction: 5.8
Cornering Stability: 7.0
Steering Response: 7.1
Ride Comfort: 7.3
Noise Comfort: 6.9
Tread Wear: 6.0

7.1 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar

Dry Traction: 9.4
Wet Traction: 6.0
Hydro Resistance: 4.8
Cornering Stability: 9.3
Steering Response: 9.2
Ride Comfort: 7.7
Noise Comfort: 7.1
Tread Wear: 6.4

8.5 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3
Best match for 300C: 255/45 YR18, 103Y XL, $193

Dry Traction: 9.2
Wet Traction: 9.1
Hydro Resistance: 9.0
Cornering Stability: 8.9
Steering Response: 8.8
Ride Comfort: 8.6
Noise Comfort: 8.5
Tread Wear: 8.0

8.7 Goodyear Assurance TripleTred http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred
(Not yet available in sizes larger than 17")

Dry Traction: 9.4
Wet Traction: 9.4
Hydro Resistance: 9.4
Snow Traction: 9.1
Cornering Stability: 9.0
Steering Response: 9.1
Ride Comfort: 8.8
Noise Comfort: 8.7
Tread Wear: 9.2

9.3 Goodyear Assurance ComforTred http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred

Dry Traction: 9.0
Wet Traction: 8.7
Hydro Resistance: 8.7
Snow Traction: 7.9
Cornering Stability: 8.2
Steering Response: 8.0
Ride Comfort: 9.2
Noise Comfort: 9.3
Tread Wear: 9.0

Note what an absolutely awesome tire the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred is--magnificent! But it's only offered in 16" & 17" sizes so far. Tire Rack is to let me know tomorrow when (& if) we can expect to see that tire available in larger sizes.

Of the currently available choices, I'll be putting on 255/45 YR18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s in a few months. Substantially quieter than our stock tire, it is an excellent all-around performer. At an inch or so shorter than the Contis, it'll bring up the effective launch torque a bit, and every little bit does, indeed, help.

#26 ·
Not ridiculous at all II k, we wouldn't want it any other way! :wink1:

Hotchkis lists their sway bars at $413. However Tbyrne has a GB going right now - with 10 they drop to $330./free shipping. Last I checked he was up to 7 orders pending.
Here's the link: Group Buy

Thanks Hemeee, 3000 posts is fairly ridiculous, but I can't help it. :silly: ....

I like the idea of a better sway bar, and maybe springs, what's the damage $$ Hemeee. What I really need is perfect steering, as I said, tolerable now, much improved, but less than perfect. Funny some don't have the steering kick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.