Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Was cruising around online forums and felt this is the one my ride will like, It’s a 2012 SRT8.. Had to sell my C10.. moved to Oregon and the moisture here is not nice to chrome so left it in Calif. Found my SRT8 from Canada in Portland.. Anyway I’m putting tires on rear real soon, I see the 275/20/40 is a good replacement. I’m staggering it cause I’m an old school early Camaro hot rod that’s settled down. Keeping the stock black chrome 9x20 wheels, The 245’s on front ... what’s the upgrade? Or is steering and handling best left stock. Only planning a couple mild mods. Kinda like this car. Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season is my choice for tires and I run Pennzoil and Premium.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I didn’t mod anything on my ‘12, just the 275’s all the way around. You really need to rotate the tires, the car just vaporizes rear tires if you don’t.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t mod anything on my ‘12, just the 275’s all the way around. You really need to rotate the tires, the car just vaporizes rear tires if you don’t.
How do you like the 275’s in front? What tires you running? Lots of rain here in Oregon I need the All Season Tires. Like the Goodyear Super Car Tires but there’s a short life expectancy on em. Remember the BFG TA Radials? I like that look, kinda rounded edges.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I'm in Southern California so I run summer tires year round, 275/35ZR20 Hankook ventus v12 evo2 on all four corners. It's been below 60 degrees here lately and the Hankooks on the rear just don't hook up in the cold, I suppose I could need new back tires again? That being said they rock above 60 degrees wet or dry. Most of us don't take a street car anywhere near it's capability, these are good to probably 95%+ and I admit beyond that the Michelins are superior. But since this hog of a car instantly vaporizes the rear tires I gave up on the spendy Michelins some time ago and honestly for street use I just don't find the Pilot Sports to enough better to be worth the cost on this car, on my Gen 1 CTS-V I did use Pilot Sports but after multiple brands I settled on the evo2's there as well. I ran Pilot Sports on my '69 Corvette, but they are no longer availble in that size for the Vette so BFG's are on the old Vette and they really suck ass, but that's the best I can get for that car in a 15" in today's world.

As far as putting fatter tires on the back of this car, my opinion is this: This car suffers from understeer, putting more grip out back and less in front is only going to exacerbate that. I do push this car hard in corners, feathering the throttle to get the tail to loosen up is tough enough without the burden of more meat in back than in front. If I didn't drive the way I do I'd put Nitto 295/35's out back to get this behemoth to hook up and scoot! The prior owner modded some stuff on my SRT, I don't know what they did but I saw a 3.9 0-60 on the dash in perfect conditions once so the Hankooks do hook up if the planets line up just so... The guy in the CTS-V Wagon still pulled on me, but he was just as shocked as I was with the get out of the hole power the 300 has as was the poor fellow in the Roush Mustang that we both shamed.

Maybe I'm wrong, the staggard set up might be the best thing ever.

Years ago my CTS-V came new with Michelin Pilot Sport Run Flats, I HATED those tires... And they were stone bald at 7,500 miles...

I forget which Michelins were on my SRT, I bought it at 11,900 miles and they were bald too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Southern California so I run summer tires year round, 275/35ZR20 Hankook ventus v12 evo2 on all four corners. It's been below 60 degrees here lately and the Hankooks on the rear just don't hook up in the cold, I suppose I could need new back tires again? That being said they rock above 60 degrees wet or dry. Most of us don't take a street car anywhere near it's capability, these are good to probably 95%+ and I admit beyond that the Michelins are superior. But since this hog of a car instantly vaporizes the rear tires I gave up on the spendy Michelins some time ago and honestly for street use I just don't find the Pilot Sports to enough better to be worth the cost on this car, on my Gen 1 CTS-V I did use Pilot Sports but after multiple brands I settled on the evo2's there as well. I ran Pilot Sports on my '69 Corvette, but they are no longer availble in that size for the Vette so BFG's are on the old Vette and they really suck ass, but that's the best I can get for that car in a 15" in today's world.

As far as putting fatter tires on the back of this car, my opinion is this: This car suffers from understeer, putting more grip out back and less in front is only going to exacerbate that. I do push this car hard in corners, feathering the throttle to get the tail to loosen up is tough enough without the burden of more meat in back than in front. If I didn't drive the way I do I'd put Nitto 295/35's out back to get this behemoth to hook up and scoot! The prior owner modded some stuff on my SRT, I don't know what they did but I saw a 3.9 0-60 on the dash in perfect conditions once so the Hankooks do hook up if the planets line up just so... The guy in the CTS-V Wagon still pulled on me, but he was just as shocked as I was with the get out of the hole power the 300 has as was the poor fellow in the Roush Mustang that we both shamed.

Maybe I'm wrong, the staggard set up might be the best thing ever.

Years ago my CTS-V came new with Michelin Pilot Sport Run Flats, I HATED those tires... And they were stone bald at 7,500 miles...

I forget which Michelins were on my SRT, I bought it at 11,900 miles and they were bald too...
That being said... Do you feel anything different in steering, handling or rubbing with 275/40/20 on the front.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I’m running 275/35ZR20. Absolutely no rubbing, the giant sled handles very well. I may put 295’s all the way around if all four tires are ever bald at the same time, my tire guy says 295/35’s won’t rub either.

·
Registered
207 Posts
295 is too wide for a 9" wheel. I ran 295/35 Michelin PSS on a 10" wheel and they were perfect.

The widest I would go on a 9" wheel is 285/35, which also fit up front with a 3mm spacer.

I am currently running 275/40 and 305/35 Michelin PS4S. The grip is unreal. I can finally hook in 1st with 3.91 gears and a heads/cam setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts