Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. I'm a huge car nut, and have been for over 40 years. I'm getting anxious to replace my 2004 Acura TL, and have some questions on the 300C.

How is the overall "build" quality after a year or so. By that, I mean things like rattles and just general assembly quality. Rattles make me crazy.

I never thought I would get navigation, but I ended up with a Corvette with it, and I'm now thinking "why not". The nav in my Corvette is not terribly user friendly. Can anyone give me an idea of how the Chrysler unit is to use? Compared to what?

Stereo - I will only get the top of the line unit. It says it plays MP3's, and I see it has a jack. Does it play MP3's off a CD? Also, does the Nav unit have a six disc changer or single (and does it play MP3's on a CD?) Some of these questions may seem odd, but the 2005 Corvettes had some weird combinations. The non-navs played MP3's, but the nav units did not until they just released an software upgrade about a month ago. And the nav unit only has a single disc player.

I drove a Dodge Magnum Hemi a while back, and it really felt "soft" from a dead stop. I assume it has to do with the computer programming/torque management. Any comments on this?

Any other pointers for a new guy would be appreciated. BTW, the dealer had an SRT-8 they he said could be had a list, and that sometimes a discount is even possible in the Houston area. It's probably a little too rich for me, but I'd be curious what ya'll think the market is on the SRT.

Thanks for the help!
Jim

·
Registered
701 Posts
jjsC6 said:
Stereo - I will only get the top of the line unit. It says it plays MP3's, and I see it has a jack. Does it play MP3's off a CD? Also, does the Nav unit have a six disc changer or single (and does it play MP3's on a CD?) Some of these questions may seem odd, but the 2005 Corvettes had some weird combinations. The non-navs played MP3's, but the nav units did not until they just released an software upgrade about a month ago. And the nav unit only has a single disc player.
I've got the BA6 unit which is the base stereo in the CSRT8. Gadgetwise it's probably a bit light -- it has a CD player and a Cassette (!!) player. But gadgets aren't too important to me. What is important is the sound quality, I am an audiophile and I am cursed with very sensitive hearing. And this is as good as I need for a car stereo. It's much better than the Bose we have in our Benz.
jjsC6 said:
I drove a Dodge Magnum Hemi a while back, and it really felt "soft" from a dead stop. I assume it has to do with the computer programming/torque management. Any comments on this?
Did you feed it enough gasoline? People are running fast dragstrip times in these cars. The problem is that the wheels spin if the tires can't get enough grip. IMHO it isn't soft.

jjsC6 said:
Any other pointers for a new guy would be appreciated. BTW, the dealer had an SRT-8 they he said could be had a list, and that sometimes a discount is even possible in the Houston area. It's probably a little too rich for me, but I'd be curious what ya'll think the market is on the SRT.
Coincidentally, right now it's no more than $500 over invoice from prwfleet who sells from California. I was waffling between the C and CSRT8 and eventually decided on the 8. Cost a bit more but a wilder driving experience (sharper handling, boulevard ride isn't quite as good) with quite a few upgraded parts.

Who knows maybe now you can even get a test drive in an SRT8. Most of the others here on this forum including me bought them without a test drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
artichoke said:
.....Did you feed it enough gasoline? People are running fast dragstrip times in these cars. The problem is that the wheels spin if the tires can't get enough grip. IMHO it isn't soft.....
First, let's be sure we are on the same page. I'm talking a 340 hp car, not the SRT8. And yes, I drove it like I stole it. It felt very soft for the first 50' or so. And I'm a pretty good drag racer. I have some of the best times in the country in my Corvette.

Second, are you saying a SRT8 can be had at $500 over invoice? Damn, I don't need that kind of temptation!

Thanks for the quick reply

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
My two cents...

jjsC6 said:
I'm How is the overall "build" quality after a year or so. By that, I mean things like rattles and just general assembly quality. Rattles make me crazy.
We bought an '04 build (approx. July) 2005 model as a certified pre-owned 14 mo. old and 14.5k miles. We saw none and have had no fitment or build quality issues in the 5 mo. since our purchase.

jjsC6 said:
I never thought I would get navigation, but I ended up with a Corvette with it, and I'm now thinking "why not". The nav in my Corvette is not terribly user friendly. Can anyone give me an idea of how the Chrysler unit is to use? Compared to what?
IMHO the Nav is NOT as good as you can get with other "stick on" GPS systems. The nice thing is that it is seemless with the car's audio system. We have a Magellan RoadMate700 (or is that RoadMaster?)... and we haven't yet found a place it can't take us turn-by-turn. The OEM Nav in a 300 we rented last summer couldn't give us turn-by-turn in local neighborhoods off the beaten path... just a rubber band to the final destination from our current position. When the destination was "off" it's map, then it wouldn't calculate distance or travel time...

Stereo - I agree with artichoke's assessment.

jjsC6 said:

Thanks for the help!
Jim
From what I have read you can't relate the Hemi C to the SRT8, other than there is MUCHO difference in how they leap and shift off the line. Like Artichoke I wouldn't classify what I feel at a WOT from a standstill or running speed as "soft", but I'm not a 1/4 mile type person either. So what do I know? I know everyone I've taken for a "demo" ride has told me that haven't been kicked back in the seat like that for a very long time!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 06 300c, with the nav etc.
I can say that the nav stereo is a 6 disc player and will play mp3's burned to disc. The factory stereo is impressive for factory. Any real audiophile is always going to want something more, but I think it gets the job done for the average joe.
We had a few build quality issues at first, tranny leak, sunroof noise.
They were fixed and everything has been good since then.

I found the acceleration to be pretty impressive for the HP/weight ratio.
The shifts are soft for sure though. I have added Long tube headers and cat back, that woke it up in a hurry. Have owned a 98c5 and 01 Z06 I understand what you mean about acceleration. To me it's just an excuse to start modding.:biggrin:

Eric

·
Registered
118 Posts
MP3 Yes,,, SRT8 only way

jjsC6 said:
I'm new to the forum. I'm a huge car nut, and have been for over 40 years. I'm getting anxious to replace my 2004 Acura TL, and have some questions on the 300C.

How is the overall "build" quality after a year or so. By that, I mean things like rattles and just general assembly quality. Rattles make me crazy.

Thanks for the help!
Jim

Have had the SRT8 for almost 4 mos and it's one of the best cars for the money i've driven, expectations of a Performance Luxury Car was my main goal. now i'm Muscle Hungry. The Ride is Very Quiet inside, yet when the Go Pedal is pressed the sound is very nice, yet still very quiet inside. The 5sp Auto shifts very nicely when just tooling around. For spirited driving the car needs a few runs to learn your style and get aquainted.
The Stereo will play Burned MP3 CD's at around 90 songs/Cd which is very nice, and the Stereo is a 6 disc also, and having all controls on the steering wheel you can almost do anything from the steering wheel you would like to the car. If you truly like Drag Racing there with your C6 then you'll love the look on their faces when you Run them in your 300 especially with the SRT8. These cars have trap speeds in excess of 110mph producing 13.3 to 12.90's Totally stock. Rumor has it that around 6K miles the ECU releases more performance, yet i'm working on that magic number and will see provided i don't add mods before that Odometer reading. With Ported heads and intake there are members with Wheel Hp numbers above 440 at the wheels. so needless to say this is a very quick luxury car. As for comparison, i regularly Race a GTO with the same motor as your vette and He has yet to win after about 10 passes.
If you truly considering a 300C you should seriously think about the SRT8 and i'm sure that you could find one at a Great deal. Being a Performance enthusiast you'd only feel like your able to travel in Luxury and Have some fun along the way. Love the car, my wife calls it my Pepe car,, yet she loves to drive it too.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
jjsC6,
step up and play with the big boys!!!
c'mon...
join us darksiders...
the 6.1's
the SRT8's
ok...
now seriously...
try a PM to FreebirdSRT in Houston, TX. maybe he'll give you a ride or even let you drive his 6.1L...
the 5.7L is nice - not a C6 though...
that would be the 6.1L SRT8...
no "rattles" in mine or anyone elses that I know...
I am born and raised in SD - and I never thought I would ever have NAV...
know my way around very well...
do I use it here...
never...
do I use it elsewhere...
everytime...
so if you travel 1 time a year...
its worth it...
think of the guy in the Hemi Durango with the boat in the desert...:biggrin:
stereo - I'll let the 5.7L guys comment...
I heard it more than once - but don't use it every day...
mine is the Kicker system only on the SRT's...
the best no...
better than the BA6...
OH YEAH!!!

which ever way you go...
and if you need 4 doors...
this is the car...
GOOD LUCK!!!
Sincerely,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I'd love to have the SRT8, but it would take a hell of a deal (both the SRT and the trade on my TL) - even then, it's more than I really need to be spending.

Eric - I've ridden in a Dodge Charger with Headers and Magnaflow cat back. I was very impressed with that. A friend of mine owns RSI in Houston (a big competitor of Hennessy). He did the car, then added a supercharger. I never rode in it with the blower. He has a SRT8 Charger now, but I haven't got up to his side of town to ride in it.

Sleeper, I have thought seriously about a GTO, but it doesn't have enough "features" that I want for my daily driver, and I don't care for the tradeoff of gas mileage. My Corvette is a six speed manual, but my daily driver needs to be an automatic so my wife can drive it when I need to drive her Tahoe. The four speed automatic in the GTO kills the gas mileage.

It's good to see some serious junkies here.

·
Registered
701 Posts
jjsC6 said:
Sleeper, I have thought seriously about a GTO, but it doesn't have enough "features" that I want for my daily driver, and I don't care for the tradeoff of gas mileage. My Corvette is a six speed manual, but my daily driver needs to be an automatic so my wife can drive it when I need to drive her Tahoe. The four speed automatic in the GTO kills the gas mileage.

It's good to see some serious junkies here.
This sounds like the same tradeoffs I had when I bought my car, except I didn't have a trade. (My former commuting car, a 1983 Benz 380SL, is still at the mechanic's house and maybe it will be done someday!) I needed 4 doors and an automatic for the wife who refuses to learn a stick.

Among new cars, nothing else came close to the 300C and CSRT8.

I thought about used Jaguar XJ and a used VW Phaeton which are quite cheap lightly used, and if either had been available with diesel in the US I might have gone that way instead. Their gasoline engines aren't as good as the diesels.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The 5.7L is anything but "soft" off the line...

jjsc6, even bone stock. It hooks & goes.

The maggie you drove may have been in need of a quick flash to cure one of the quirks that some of the LXes get from time to time.

Including even when my ride was stock I've never, ever, been hole shot by a 'Vette. Reeled in fairly quickly on occasion, yes, but beat off the line by one - never. Lots of smoke & noise and its nose showing up in my side mirrors is the standard drill.

Nary a squeek, rattle, or failure in 25079 miles of often spirited driving.

It just doesn't get any better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meister said:
jjsc6, even bone stock. It hooks & goes.

The maggie you drove may have been in need of a quick flash to cure one of the quirks that some of the LXes get from time to time.

Including even when my ride was stock I've never, ever, been hole shot by a 'Vette. Reeled in fairly quickly on occasion, yes, but beat off the line by one - never. Lots of smoke & noise and its nose showing up in my side mirrors is the standard drill.

Nary a squeek, rattle, or failure in 25079 miles of often spirited driving.

It just doesn't get any better.
Thanks for the input. btw, I ran a 12.49 at 114.9 in my first C6 Vette (a Z51 coupe) and a 12.57 at 113.2 in my F55 convertible that I have now (but only got two clean runs in on that car - more to be had!)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
jjsC6 said:
Thanks for the input. btw, I ran a 12.49 at 114.9 in my first C6 Vette (a Z51 coupe) and a 12.57 at 113.2 in my F55 convertible that I have now (but only got two clean runs in on that car - more to be had!)
an F55 and a C6...
forget the TL and sell it!!!
QUICK!!!
get a 6.1L SRT8
nothing like blowing doors off in a 4-door...:biggrin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cbutler32 said:
an F55 and a C6...
forget the TL and sell it!!!
QUICK!!!
get a 6.1L SRT8
nothing like blowing doors off in a 4-door...:biggrin:
Let me clarify - F55 is a suspension package option on the Corvette. No, I don't own a Ferrari!:sigh:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
jjsC6 said:
Let me clarify - F55 is a suspension package option on the Corvette. No, I don't own a Ferrari!:sigh:
I wa thinking you had the F50 and did something to it and called it a F55...
why not!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I have the 300C and there is no rattles I have had the car since 9/2/04 and I still love it. Nav system is my first so for it has taken me right to where I wanted to go. The BA6 is a dam good system that plays mp3 , it is a lot of car for the money. I would buy another with out a second thought thats how much I think of the car.:01:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cbutler32 said:
I wa thinking you had the F50 and did something to it and called it a F55...
why not!
Sorry, I should not have used that "code". On the Corvette boards, it means a lot. The Z51 has different gearing in the six speed manual transmission, and different tires - when posting 1/4 mile times on that forum, you have to specify whether your car is base, F55 or Z51 suspension.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
jjsC6 said:
Sorry, I should not have used that "code". On the Corvette boards, it means a lot. The Z51 has different gearing in the six speed manual transmission, and different tires - when posting 1/4 mile times on that forum, you have to specify whether your car is base, F55 or Z51 suspension.
good thing to know for us here...
that way we know what type of Vette we just STOMPED!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cbutler32 said:
good thing to know for us here...
that way we know what type of Vette we just STOMPED!!!
I like your sense of humor. Now let me show you mine - how much have you modded your car to get it to run faster than a 12.4 at 115?:stups: (and that's not the fastest stock vette time- but that's what I have personally run).

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
jjsC6 said:
I like your sense of humor. Now let me show you mine - how much have you modded your car to get it to run faster than a 12.4 at 115?:stups: (and that's not the fastest stock vette time- but that's what I have personally run).
Instead, how about we show one of ours against your TL...that's more apples to apples:stups:

BTW there are many SRT's that will out do your 'one time beloved 12.49':stups:

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Moose said:
Instead, how about we show one of ours against your TL...that's more apples to apples:stups:

BTW there are many SRT's that will out do your 'one time beloved 12.49':stups:
He hasn't been here since March... must have decided against the 300? I'll look him up and see if he's on any of my 'Vette boards :01:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts