Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've finally purchased the car i have promised myself for a number of years, after several PT cruisers and a new PT convertable, I have finally nabbed a 300C CRD SRT Design,

I found this forum the day bought the car (two weeks ago), and after wandering through the forum and soaking up the information, I feel it's now time to introduce myself.

Since purchasing the car, my 300 ownership has been more than a little turbulent.

On the drive home from the dealership, I hit some road junk, damaged the front spoiler, and split the engine underttray. Fearing the worst, I booked the car into my local garage to check it over, they found I had successfully punched a 3" hole in the rear floor only 8 inches away from the fuel tank..........

They also found that both track rod ends were worn to the point of collapse. The rest of the car however was given a clean bill of health.

2 days later the rod ends were fitted and the car tracked at another garage ( a local tyre bay), They succeded in beaching the car whilst driving it off the ramp, more floor damage......

and to top it all off yesterday the engine light illuminated. So back to the garage and plugging into the ODB port gives four fault codes

P1426 = No one knows what this is.......
P2033 = Exhaust gas Temperature sensor Circuit High bank 1 sensor 2
P0428 = Catalyst Temperature Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 sensor 1
P0132 = O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1

What has really thrown the mechanics is that the car is a Diesel, so they reckon these codes cannot happen.....

Ah well I just hope the good bits to 300 ownership start happening soon............

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
welcome aboard from southern California and things will get better also you might want to check out the European & diesel powered 300 model forums i sure the guys there can set you straight with your problem.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hi ian and welcome from Wiltshire. I've also only had mine a short while and like you had some initial prob's which thankfully (and thanks to learning about the emissions waranty on this forum) were done under waranty by the dealer. It seems to have settled down now, so hopefully (fingers crossed) can start to enjoy as I'm sure you will when you get over these initial hurdles. I'm sure you're get some help with the codes from others (sorry, I'm still trying to learn some of the 'techy' stuff, so can't help).

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
hi, welcome - check the 'sticky' for new CRD owners

Have a look at the left hand exhaust.... your debris might have cut cables / knocked sensors

I lookd at Chrysler OBD codes & couldnt find p1426......

generic codes show several possibilities...........most plump for the MAF, but there are variations. Heres a selection

P1426 4141 Ä Ä Ä Swirl valves Activation: Short circuit to earth

P1426 EGI Mini - MAF Failed Out Of Range

P1426EGI Mini - MAF Failed Out Of Range

P1426 EGI Mini - MAF Failed Out Of Range

given what you say about the tank....

code p1426 according to the bentley code definition is for fuel tank vent valve - open circuit. the vag code is 17834 to confirm code definition. check connections at vent valve, check wiring for damage/ chafing. check earth ground points

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kaiser Bill for the info, I'll pass it on to the garage tomorrow. Hopefully they can put it in the air once again without inflicting yet more damage.
I have managed to do 1300 miles in the 2 weeks since clouting the road junk, without the light, but the Monkeys setting the tracking then beeching the car the other day could well have disturbed something.

many thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ian, If no more damage is found and your car has service history and less than 50k on the clock it sounds like it'll be covered by the emission warranty.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
How did they manage to beach it on a 4 poster??..........They didn't drive over the beam jack did they?

Welcome to the forum,whereabouts in the Mids are you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lambournkoi:
Welcome to the forum Ian, If no more damage is found and your car has service history and less than 50k on the clock it sounds like it'll be covered by the emission warranty."
Sadly she has now done 70k so out of dealer warranty. I only have the 3 month sales warranty that is now ticking away......

UK CHRYSLER 300C:
How did they manage to beach it on a 4 poster??..........They didn't drive over the beam jack did they?
Yep that's exactly what they did, he pushed the beam to the rear of the car whilst setting the tracking then "forgot about it" when it was time to take the car off. As the rear wheels came off the lift, it stopped...... dead...........

If i can get to the garage whilst it is in the air again today, I'll get some photos of the damaged areas for forum comment/amusement.......

Regards,
Ian.J

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
lambournkoi:

Sadly she has now done 70k so out of dealer warranty. I only have the 3 month sales warranty that is now ticking away......

UK CHRYSLER 300C:

Yep that's exactly what they did, he pushed the beam to the rear of the car whilst setting the tracking then "forgot about it" when it was time to take the car off. As the rear wheels came off the lift, it stopped...... dead...........

If i can get to the garage whilst it is in the air again today, I'll get some photos of the damaged areas for forum comment/amusement.......

Regards,
Ian.J

I suffered the opposite last week...nervousness - I booked it for an MOT at a Vauxhall dealer & when I arrived they were scared to try it on a lift in case it didnt fit (width). They sent me to a nearby place that 'does motor caravans' - they couldnt do it for a few days, so they sent me to a place they knew.....& I ended up having it done in a bus depot- believe me, there was plenty of space on the ramp! - I was nervous though...the mech recognised me - I'd nicked him when he was 17. He was very pro, showed me what he was doing throughout, said he'd deserved it (the arrest) & knocked £5 off!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well..........

The mechanic still cannot find anything wrong with the car, but the light will not go out for more than a few minutes.

Will a chrysler dealer be able to make sense of the error? There isn't a dealer near me any more, nearest one is all the way across Birmingham in Wolverhampton, does anyone know if they are any good?

On the bright side, I've managed 3 whole days without inflicting yet more damage on the floorpan :)

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I suffered the opposite last week...nervousness - I booked it for an MOT at a Vauxhall dealer & when I arrived they were scared to try it on a lift in case it didnt fit (width). They sent me to a nearby place that 'does motor caravans' - they couldnt do it for a few days, so they sent me to a place they knew.....& I ended up having it done in a bus depot- believe me, there was plenty of space on the ramp! - I was nervous though...the mech recognised me - I'd nicked him when he was 17. He was very pro, showed me what he was doing throughout, said he'd deserved it (the arrest) & knocked £5 off!
I MOT mine and 1 more "C" and they fit on my lift no bother,all the MOT lifts have to conform to their standards,so are they not using the proper MOT bay?? makes you wonder ay??

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Well..........

The mechanic still cannot find anything wrong with the car, but the light will not go out for more than a few minutes.

Will a chrysler dealer be able to make sense of the error? There isn't a dealer near me any more, nearest one is all the way across Birmingham in Wolverhampton, does anyone know if they are any good?

On the bright side, I've managed 3 whole days without inflicting yet more damage on the floorpan :)
Wolverhampton are ok,well as good as any stealership I suppose,is the garage that holed your car gonna pay for the damage?? they should

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wolverhampton are ok,well as good as any stealership I suppose,is the garage that holed your car gonna pay for the damage?? they should
The hole was caused by me running over a lump of steel in the road on the way home after collecting the car the day i bought it. I guess it really should be an insurance job as the front valance has a split, there are chunks out of the plastic engine undertray missing and obviously the split in the floor.
The monkeys and the four post lift managed to catch a cross brace which is bolted to the floor and bent it. luckily when it was "leaned on" in the other direction, it popped back into shape, i haven't found any other damage, as yet.......

my big concern at the moment is the P1426 error that has illuminated the MIL and doesnt have a particular reason????
Kaiser bill was kind enough to look up some other manufacturers reasons associated with this fault code, but all the checks my garage have done have been fruitless to date........

The wife keeps telling me that the initial incident was an omen, and I should sell it again "there will always be something wrong with it".

Still it could be worse, I could have a car with an undefined fault and no clear path on how to fix it. oh wait that's not right.............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I would like to ask and ask for advice. I have a 3.0 CRD diesel engine and the diagnostic writes me the same errors:
P1426
P0428
P2033

And the MIL is on. When I erase the error again it shows up.
I would like to ask you what was the fault with you?

Thank you very much for any help and advice. Have a nice day

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Hi, I would like to ask and ask for advice. I have a 3.0 CRD diesel engine and the diagnostic writes me the same errors:
P1426
P0428
P2033

And the MIL is on. When I erase the error again it shows up.
I would like to ask you what was the fault with you?

Thank you very much for any help and advice. Have a nice day
Those codes are not listed for the diesel engine in the Service Manual and I can't recall them ever being reported on the UK/EU forum. Are you sure you have a CRD? What code reader are you using?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those codes are not listed for the diesel engine in the Service Manual and I can't recall them ever being reported on the UK/EU forum. Are you sure you have a CRD? What code reader are you using?
Absolutely sure! I have a car for several years.

The codes also seem strange to me, but that's right. I use an OBDlink SX cable and TouchScan (OBDwiz).

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I've only just noticed that the same codes, plus one extra, are the subject of the first post on this thread. I've checked again in the Service Manual and they are not even listed for petrol engines. However, a list of DTCs for Dodge vehicles, does recognise P0428 and P2033 as described in the first post. P1426 is not recognised anywhere.

Having looked through this thread again there doesn't seem to have been any satisfactory explanation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've only just noticed that the same codes, plus one extra, are the subject of the first post on this thread. I've checked again in the Service Manual and they are not even listed for petrol engines. However, a list of DTCs for Dodge vehicles, does recognise P0428 and P2033 as described in the first post. P1426 is not recognised anywhere.

Having looked through this thread again there doesn't seem to have been any satisfactory explanation.
That's the problem. Nobody knows what the combination of codes P1426 / P0428 / P2033 can mean. The P1426 fault is translated as a fuel tank vent valve defect, but I don't know what it should be.
The car is of course diesel. It runs normally and without faults. Only the MIL is always on and when I delete it, it will come on again after a while and the diagnostic will still report the same errors. Thank you for your effort and willingness to help.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Assuming you have a Gen 1 most of the parts are Mercedes OM642 based. Have you checked those codes for a Mercedes diesel?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts