Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Donnie a disabled US Marine combat veteran who served in Iraq in 03 and 04. I picked up a rust free southern car from NC, a 2005 300C with the 5.7 Hemi and factory loaded. The car has 48,000 original miles, 1 owner and I paid $9,500 for it off Carfax website. I absolutely love the car. Always dreamed of having a Hemi 5.7 but honestly never knew if i would be able to afford it. Heated leather is great in the winter by the way. I do have a couple questions my ESP button...when I press it, it seems to do nothing. Also, no lights appear on dash. I have done the trick where you press the button, cruise up to 15mph and turn key 3 times...hear a ding and then it is a little more powerful. My concern is that the lights are not working and also the only thing wrong with the car is the cruise control. The person I purchased from is taking it to a shop to have the cruise fixed next month. Will this solve my problems with the lights not coming on. I mean, when I turn the key on every light pops on, in the dash console except cruise, ESP and BAS. I know it's nothing to be alarmed about the car is cherry 馃崚. But it just bugs the heck out of me. Also Cold air intake order soon, which one..?? And I heard of a predator code reader/programmer...any other options or is this the best for the money 馃挵. The reason I ask this is not because I can't search the internet, it is because of 2 reasons...you people know SO MUCH MORE ABOUT these cars than I do. Secondly I live on a disabled US Marine combat veteran pension and support a wife and kid. Despite what you may have heard, lol, disabled veterans do not make alot of money. So ,any help at all would be greatly appreciated. -Donnie

Registered
Welcome aboard Donnie, and thanks for your service.

About your ESP question, you need to check your car for DTCs. I'm surprised that anyone would spend ten grand on a sixteen-year-old used car without a prepurchase inspection by a reputable mechanic. If you don't have a scanner or a code reader, you can try the key dance.

I'm an '05 300C owner too, and if you're on a limited budget, I wouldn't spend money on mods.

Instead, I'd open up a separate bank account, and put my mod money in that. Once the balance gets to around $1500, I'd find a trusted local shop to pull the heads and swap out the valve seats.

05-08 Hemis are prone to dropping valve seats as they age. If that happens, it'll turn your engine into scrap the next time you turn the key. You don't want to have $12k or more into a 300 that doesn't run, and a rebuilt 5.7 is an expensive job.

There are plenty of folks who will tell you that dropped valve seats are rare and not to worry about it. My suggestion would be to Google "hemi dropped valve seat" without the quotes, research the issue, and make your own decision about it.

Enjoy your new 300!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard Donnie, and thanks for your service.

About your ESP question, you need to check your car for DTCs. I'm surprised that anyone would spend ten grand on a sixteen-year-old used car without a prepurchase inspection by a reputable mechanic. If you don't have a scanner or a code reader, you can try the key dance.

I'm an '05 300C owner too, and if you're on a limited budget, I wouldn't spend money on mods.

Instead, I'd open up a separate bank account, and put my mod money in that. Once the balance gets to around $1500, I'd find a trusted local shop to pull the heads and swap out the valve seats.

05-08 Hemis are prone to dropping valve seats as they age. If that happens, it'll turn your engine into scrap the next time you turn the key. You don't want to have $12k or more into a 300 that doesn't run, and a rebuilt 5.7 is an expensive job.

There are plenty of folks who will tell you that dropped valve seats are rare and not to worry about it. My suggestion would be to Google "hemi dropped valve seat" without the quotes, research the issue, and make your own decision about it.

Enjoy your new 300!
Hey, man thanks for the advice on the valve seats I will most certainly look into that. I have a Autel, cheap Walmart code reader. My engine light came on,cand I stopped by auto zone, and it was a p0157 I believe, whatever the number 2 O2 sensor is. Getting it Monday. But my code reader only pulls up the same code. Just the O2 sensor. Haven't tried the key dance yet, but will try anything out once. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts