Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm new, but I've owned my 300 for over a year now. It's a 2013 and it hasn't given me any problems until now. Last night I was driving it and the noise coming from the exhaust got really loud. I knew it was abnormal so, I had the car towed to the dealership where I bought it from. They looked at the car and said that someone tried to steal my cats. Their story made no sense what so ever, because why would they try to break off where the resonator is (idk if that makes sense). I feel as if it was cracked due to a factory problem not because "some tried to steal the cats". It doesn't look like it was cut what so ever. I really hope someone can point me in the right direction because they wanted to charge me $1800 and I'm just not in the type of situation where I can shell out that kind of money.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
In your case, that looks like its snapped clean. Its far too clean for someone to come along with a hacksaw. The exhaust system must have got caught somewhere on a rock or something, looks like it was forced apart.

Having said that, cats cost a fortune because of the precious metals & metal thieves love them. I know plenty of that go missing especially from vans.

Hope it gets sorted bud and sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If that's the case (what the dealer is claiming), then report it to your insurance company so you don't have to come out of pocket for the fix. I guess just paying a deductible would be a lot better than $1.8K, yes? Man, I hope it all gets sorted out for you...that's not cool! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know this might be a huge hassle but first and foremost you should talk to a manager or supervisor and get them involved at that particular dealership. Then call the next nearest dealership and get their opinion, you can drive it so don't worry about the cost of towing. (might get a check engine light because of exhaust pressure, no biggie) Have them check it out if they can't work with you over the phone. If that doesn't work then take it to a few locals shops, get their opinion and price quotes and then take them back to whichever dealership seems to be trying to work with you on the matter. If nothing else seems to be working or going anywhere then file a complaint with Chrysler over the matter, you will have proof their mechanics are in the wrong. You will either have to file an insurance claim or pay for it out of pocket. DO NOT take it to the dealers to get fixed, that doesn't really show you are upset when you're willing to pay them for their own negligence. Might take a little while but you will get your money back hopefully. That's all I can really think of at the moment. OH WAIT! You could also buy a little piece from auto zone and patch it yourself :D

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
That is not saw work. It snapped. Go back and get with the service manager and have HIM look at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding guys. First off let me say you guys are a lot friendlier than the guys over at the bimmer forums.

I was thinking about getting OEM parts and having a dealership put them on for me. They were going on about if I don't get the work through them it'll void my warranty. I called them out on that ASAP. When I bought the car from them I also bought a extended warranty which covers me "bumper to bumper unlimited". That's a warranty I need not to be voided.

That being said they gave me a break down and the part listed is "4578954-ah".
I tried to search for it and it comes back as "Right muffler resonator". From what I seen under the car it doesn't look like I need a muffler just the resonator. Can someone help me out with that? And confirm that I just need a resonator from the pictures?

So, the part number they're saying I need is #5. Would I have to buy that whole part? I don't need the muffler because that part was untouched and perfectly fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
If somebody was trying to steal the exhaust system they were working with gloved hands because there isn't a tool mark in the picture. Looks like metal fatigue to me. Is the rest of the system complete with proper hangers and brackets, or is something missing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If somebody was trying to steal the exhaust system they were working with gloved hands because there isn't a tool mark in the picture. Looks like metal fatigue to me. Is the rest of the system complete with proper hangers and brackets, or is something missing?
There's nothing missing. I tried to tell them their story doesn't make sense because I work over night and I live in a busy neighborhood in Brooklyn where people know me. If anyone was messing with my car I would know. They also mentioned someone tried to steal it over a course of few days. I don't have a fancy exhaust so, why would someone try to steal it. They wrote on the labor report "Someone attempted to steal CAT". Why is the damage all the way in the rear of the car when the CAT is in the front?

The blue is where the crack is. There's no other damage or anything else missing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts