Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. i had a 300c i bought in 05 and recently traded up for a new srt8 07. i had a question regarding the oil change schedule. i had it done at a local dealer, (i purchased the car out of town) and they indicated they used synthetic but i spoke to a fellow owner and he said that the local dealer was not authorized to work on srt8 vehicles. is it true that not all chrysler dealers are "authorized for serviece"? i can understand trb's or warranty work but even an oil change? i am suspect and would like some feed back.

thanks for help with a mundane question.

cheers,

jason

·
Registered
534 Posts
Anybody can change the oil. I'm sure most of us don't even go to the dealer for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for quick reply. i realize oil change is a simple procedure but is it true that some chrysler dealerships are authorized for srt8 work and some are not?

thank you,

jason

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Yeah, you can go anywhere or do it yourself. If you do it yourself or go somewhere else make sure to keep all receipts. If you have a problem down the road related to the engine and can't come up with receipts you risk a warranty claim denial.

If you have it changed somewhere other than at the dealer, MAKE SURE THEY'RE USING THE PROPER OIL!!! It's happened before that the wrong oil has been used.

As for your concern about SRT qualified techs working on your car, when I got mine I was told ONLY Viper techs were allowed to work on it. I don't know if that's still the case, but if your dealer has one ask that it only be touched by that tech. That's excluding minor stuff like tire changes and other routine maintenance like oil changes.

Bernie

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
thanks for quick reply. i realize oil change is a simple procedure but is it true that some chrysler dealerships are authorized for srt8 work and some are not?

thank you,

jason
i've never heard of that before. in my area, the dodge dealers (they work on the vipers) are much better at service than the chrysler dealers. i'd go there if i were you.

now, i run synthetic mobil 1 and change every 5,000 in my driveway. i never diy changed my oil before i got this car. there is an up front cost to buying all the equipment you need (if you don't have it). but, at about $75-100 per oil change...you make that money back really quick. also, it gives you a chance to get under your car and see what is going on. i have a cold air intake filter that sits down low, so every other oil change i take that filter out and clean/oil it.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
My small, local Chrysler dealer has told me their service department isn't SRT-qualified. It would require them to "go to school" for a period of time to gain certification... and they won't justify the time or cost to do that.

On the other hand the local (slightly larger) Dodge dealer has at least one SRT Tech. on the payroll, so they have sold a couple Super Bees, and serviced my MSRT8 for both component installs after purchase and brake pad replacement, coolant TSB, etc.

Both dealership change the oil in the respective cars (I bring the oil and the filter). The last time the charge for the change was about $7. They even collect a sample for analysis for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what type of filter do you use and where do you purchase. i know mobile 1 syn is the oil of choice.

cheers,

jason

·
Registered
534 Posts
Royal Purple 5W30 and a K&N filter. Both can be gotten at PepBoys.

I hate Mobil One. Have stock in the company and use their gas, but I will not put their oil in my engine.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
what type of filter do you use and where do you purchase. i know mobile 1 syn is the oil of choice.

cheers,

jason
I use a specialty synthetic blend in each vehicle distributed by a non-supporting vendor so I can't identify per forum protocol.

For all the info you ever wanted to know about oil filters and they "guts" see...

Oil Filters - Dissected

I went with the BOSCH premium this last time around (available at AutoZone).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts