Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back to Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD yesterday for some more Friday night test & tune fun. This was my second time at the strip in the Shelby, and I did better and ran quicker and faster than I did on my first time. My best ET was 11.90 @ 127.14, with some limited wheelspin at the starting line. I was much more confident this time and most importantly I was also more consistent.

This time I really worked hard to pull off fast shifts and actually got a bark from the tires going into 3rd gear (at 90+ mph!) on a couple of my passes. It's crazy that the Shelby finishes the quarter mile in 3rd gear (I'm still trying to get used to that). I just hold 3rd gear until I hit the rev limiter. I found that a really quick speed shift with a quick lift off the throttle works best on the 1-2 shift and you can really slam 3rd gear quickly (which I did not attempt my first time at the track in this car). I only made 4 passes tonight, but I messed up one of them by shifting from 2nd to 5th gear and didn't bother trying to correct back into 3rd gear. All three other passes were very consistent with a high 1.9 and low 2.0 60 ft times and 126+ mph trap speeds. I personally think the launch control will be extremely difficult [for me] to beat on street tires on a typical test & tune night where track prep isn't perfect. This time I did each run exactly the same with a real quick clutch slip at 3400 RPM. I set my rear tire pressure to 27 psi and left it that way for all the runs. The previous time I went to the strip I had 35 psi in the rear tires, which I believe was a big mistake. There was some wheelspin on each run at the starting line and a little more near the top of first gear, but it was limited and not bad at all. There was still a little bog on each run, but the launches worked much better at the 3400 RPM setting (than the 3000-3200 RPM setting I tried last time). The bog was very limited and it didn't fall on it's face like it did last time at the lower RPM settings. I also tried one pass without the launch control and I was a little surprised at how well I did, but was not able to beat the launch control. I may try more unassisted launches later, but this car is begging me to put some DRs on it. It's so traction limited that you really need good track prep to get any kind of consistency from it. I have to give credit to the guys at Capitol Raceway tonight for the prep. When I do the same thing for each launch, the car should perform the same, and tonight it did.

I scanned my two best timeslips for you to check out (both using the launch control). As always, I was in car #888. The best part of the night was I got to race (and beat) two Camaros. One of them was a late model SS, and the other was an older one. Both of them ran mid/high 13s (I thought the newer SS model was faster than that). I literally put 20-30 car lengths on both of them!

My engine was hot on every run. I think that on a cool day if I were to ice the intercooler, supercharger, and engine down and give it a proper cool down, a substantially better ET and trap speed are likely, especially with DRs where traction wouldn't be such a problem. I know it's a pain icing it down, and you have to be very careful to double or triple bag it so it doesn't leak all over everything. I still have a lot to learn about this car and I'm also sure there is a much lower ET and an even higher trap speed under the right conditions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Congrats Ken! Sounds like you are dialing her in. :fing02:

And yeah, I'd expect more out of the newer SS.

What was the temp?

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats Ken! Sounds like you are dialing her in. :fing02:

And yeah, I'd expect more out of the newer SS.

What was the temp?
The weather was near perfect! It was 74 degrees and sunny when I made the runs. The DA was 991, and I went ahead and corrected my best run for DA:

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
11.782 @ 128.408 MPH

I'm now dreaming about what my car is capable of with negative DA and some DRs ;)

Reactions: Fisch

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Awesome!! Sure didn't take you long to crack 11's. that 127mph. WOW,what an absolute beast.Comgrats

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome!! Sure didn't take you long to crack 11's. that 127mph. WOW,what an absolute beast.Comgrats
Yeah, there were even a couple of guys with Corvettes in the lane next to me that were very impressed with the Shelby's trap speeds. One of the Corvette guys was running 11.7s @ 117 mph on DRs. The Shelby has 9.5" rims, with 285s in the back, so the car struggles for traction and gets held back in 1st and 2nd gear, then it pulls like crazy! If you look at the timeslip carefully, notice that it pulled from 93 mph to 127 mph on the second half of the track. That's an increase of 34 mph, which I would have thought would be impossible if I didn't experience it myself. Quick shifts at just the right shift points are critical to get that kind of speed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Times look good. What were the cars in the other lane?

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Times look good. What were the cars in the other lane?
The 13.65 @ 109 mph was a late model SS Camaro. The 15.22 @ 92 mph was a small pickup truck (I don't know what kind). The guy in the Camaro was asleep at the light. Both were so far behind that I lost sight of them :) LOL I may go back to the track again next Friday night if the weather is good.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am amazed at your trap speed, you gotta get some grip my man, my average run on drag radials is an average of low to mid 11's but I'm only crossing at 119 to 121mph, best run was 11.3 at 120 but I've never been able to duplicate the run, I'm getting consistent 11.5's, but my launch is really good, I can only imagine my times if I can get my trap speeds higher, was thinking of getting a cam and head package, or a supercharger, even thought about turbos, but not really sure what's out there for my big 300srt with all these tuning issues... Ran a couple Shelby's but their trap speeds were not as high as yours although one did run an 11.7 but he was modded up, he almost caught my rear spoiler.. Lol, what have you done to your car? First thing you gotta do is get some 17" rims and drag radials or even slicks, I shaved 3/10 of a second off just from using good tires...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am amazed at your trap speed, you gotta get some grip my man, my average run on drag radials is an average of low to mid 11's but I'm only crossing at 119 to 121mph, best run was 11.3 at 120 but I've never been able to duplicate the run, I'm getting consistent 11.5's, but my launch is really good, I can only imagine my times if I can get my trap speeds higher, was thinking of getting a cam and head package, or a supercharger, even thought about turbos, but not really sure what's out there for my big 300srt with all these tuning issues... Ran a couple Shelby's but their trap speeds were not as high as yours although one did run an 11.7 but he was modded up, he almost caught my rear spoiler.. Lol, what have you done to your car? First thing you gotta do is get some 17" rims and drag radials or even slicks, I shaved 3/10 of a second off just from using good tires...
My Shelby is completely stock, right down to the worn out Eagle F1 Supercar tires. It's very traction limited and gets held back for all of 1st and most of 2nd gear, and then pulls like crazy all the way through 3rd gear. My first time out, it was trapping at 124-125 mph, but I discovered that my car works best if I shift at 6600-6700 RPM (instead of at 6900 RPM - redline is 7000 RPM), so I picked up a couple mph by shifting a little sooner.

There was a guy in a Vette with DRs and he was running 11.7s at 117 mph, so I'm sure I can run even better than that with better traction. The best stock time I've seen for a '13 Shelby is 11.2 @ 127 mph at Atco on a private track rental in perfect conditions. Most of the guys are running 11.5-12.0 at 121-125 mph, depending on conditions. One thing is for sure, the car needs better tires.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Good runs, Ken! Thanks for posting.

Better tires may move the ET a couple of tenths but the trap may not change much. It is already outstanding!

Keep up the good work. I sure would like a couple of passes in that monster...

·
Registered
64 Posts
The weather was near perfect! It was 74 degrees and sunny when I made the runs. The DA was 991, and I went ahead and corrected my best run for DA:

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
11.782 @ 128.408 MPH

I'm now dreaming about what my car is capable of with negative DA and some DRs ;)

DA makes little difference on a Forced Induction car. I have run at -500 and +3500 with my motorcycle (NA) and it was less than .2 and 4mph difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Boost makes MPH more than ET.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DA makes some difference with FI, just not as much difference as on a NA car. Ask anyone that has raced on a high-altitude track on a hot day. Any car will do better in better conditions.

The stock tires on my car require lots of heat in them, and even after a 5+ second burnout, they're not sticky enough to grip on a high RPM launch. I'm launching at 3400 RPM with a quick roll into the throttle. If I could launch at 4000 RPM and just punch it to the floor, I'm pretty sure I could run a very low 11 second pass. A good power/weight ratio gives the impressive trap speeds and better traction yields better ETs.

I'm now considering putting some DRs on it, but I'm concerned that I may blow out the clutch or differential if I do that. I don't need DRs to do better than what I've already done. I just need more seat time and practice. I know I can do better if I can get a better launch.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Nice run, Ken. That last 1/8 th mile demonstrates that HP once she was hooked up, bet that felt great!

·
Registered
64 Posts
DA makes some difference with FI, just not as much difference as on a NA car. Ask anyone that has raced on a high-altitude track on a hot day. Any car will do better in better conditions.

The stock tires on my car require lots of heat in them, and even after a 5+ second burnout, they're not sticky enough to grip on a high RPM launch. I'm launching at 3400 RPM with a quick roll into the throttle. If I could launch at 4000 RPM and just punch it to the floor, I'm pretty sure I could run a very low 11 second pass. A good power/weight ratio gives the impressive trap speeds and better traction yields better ETs.

I'm now considering putting some DRs on it, but I'm concerned that I may blow out the clutch or differential if I do that. I don't need DRs to do better than what I've already done. I just need more seat time and practice. I know I can do better if I can get a better launch.
My truck runs 11.8's @ 119 but it is a ET thing due to converter / 60' / traction but since it's NA it doesn't MPH as well. I love that MPH on the supercharged and Turbo vehicles. I am making right at 460rwhp with it but weight is also an issue since it's 4400lbs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I say, change to slicks - keep the driver! Very nice run Ken.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I say he's avoiding me :)

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Bob! Good to see you still hanging around here :) I'm putting my summer rubber on tomorrow and want to go to the track soon. The heavily worn stock tires still have a little life in them and I should be able to get a few more runs out of them. LOL I could do a test & tune at Capitol Raceway or maybe another road trip out to Cecil County Dragway, if I can escape from the wife and kids.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts