Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. Another new member here from Auckland New Zealand. I bought a new black SRT8 last week with the leather pack after 16 years of owning Ford's and FPV's including in recent years SC FPV GT-P, F6, BF2 Typhoon e.t.c.

Loving the new black beauty and all its technology. Mega mid range torque, only done 1,000 km's and havn't really opened it up yet, any running in advice other than the usual drive it like its stolen :lol I'll post up a picture or two soon.

I enjoy a good natter with over 5,000 posts on the Austrlaian Ford forums in just over 4 years so hope to make some good posts over the forseeable future. I was chatting with Rob Herrod on the AFF last week and he has a Chrysler SRT8 and Jeep SRT8 as his development vehicles in the workshop at present.

I was thinking with all that sound deadening material on the underside of the bonnett has anyone removed all that to hear the big Hemi better and does it make much difference ?

Speaking of sound, what's the best way to get more exhaust sound without breaking the bank or getting Chrysler into a tizzy about future potential warranty claim(s) ?

Feels like a bit of a relief to finally abandon ship from Ford seeing as its finishing up but kind of weird to be missing my former SC GT-P and bonding with a new SRT8 puppy all at the same time. Talk about a range of different emotions all at once :lol

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Welcome, i hope you like the new edition.
I just chopped the back 2 resonators off and since then I think 80% of the members on here have done the same.
Certainly a cheap way to get a great rumble out of it. If thats still not loud enough then you can look at adjusting the bimodal spring a click or 2 but that is loud.

Be interested in seeing the results with herrod but I'm betting he'll charge a nice penny for it as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sounds like a good idea to me, chopping off the resonators. What are Chrysler like with warranty claims if this is done or don't people care ? Yeah, I agree, Rob does pretty well for himself but he strikes me as a good bloke so it'll be interesting to follow the sort of numbers he gets with his devopment cars.

Speaking of numbers, what's the goods with these vehicles stock on the dyno ?

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Chopping them off doesn't cause any codes to be thrown. There are plenty of stories you hear about dealers but the one I use really goes the extra mile so I guess i'm lucky.
Not sure what the dyno numbers are but if you keep the wheel spin down you'll get 4.5 or lower every day. The exception is when your temp starts going above 100, it seems to drop the timing back.
Becomes very dead off the line.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate. Really loving the huge torque of the big Hemi motor, and all the "starship enterprise" technology blows me away compared to the very modest level of tech in my previous rides. They go really hard in the mid range revs, I havn't really revved it out hard as its only done 1,000 km's but I guess that's next to complete the running in phase..
4.5o is an awesome time, the best Autocar N.Z. could get for the SC FPV GT they had on test was 5.13 seconds so that speaks for itself.
Yeah i'm a bit surprised by the temps these run, thought it was just mine being a new green engine but I'll have a good read right through this thread to hoover up some much needed background info on these SRT8's.
Loving my new puppy, very happy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
There are plenty of stories you hear about dealers but the one I use really goes the extra mile so I guess i'm lucky.
Lol that wouldnt be Philip so im guessing Fyshwick?

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Definitely not Philip. You are correct.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the go on oil for these Hemi's guys ?

Mobil 1 Full synthetic 0W-40 or Shell Helix Ultra full synthetic 5W-40 seem to meet Chrysler's spec's.
Thoughts / preference ?

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
The book tells you to use 0w40 so I wouldn't use anything else while under warranty. I use Castrol Edge 0w40. No complaints except for the price of all oils in Australia.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
What's the go on oil for these Hemi's guys ?

Mobil 1 Full synthetic 0W-40 or Shell Helix Ultra full synthetic 5W-40 seem to meet Chrysler's spec's.
Thoughts / preference ?
Are you after cheap and nasty solution like Steve uses or you after quality?
Sorry Steve but lets be serious here :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are you after cheap and nasty solution like Steve uses or you after quality?
Sorry Steve but lets be serious here :)
LOL not sure I'd agree with you on the cheap and nasty but I have my reservations that Castrol Edge OW-40 is a true full synthetic as claimed and is $98 Kiwi here.
I had a look down at Ripco at lunch time and it seems Mobil 1 0W-40 in the gold pack meets the Chrysler spec 10725 or whatever it is and Mobil claim it also meets the various Fiat spec's.

Its a bit confusing as from what I can see the manual seems to be saying to use a full synthetic 5W-40 but the oil cap filler on the engine says use full synthetic 0W-40 ?

Thoughts ?

BTW is that Harmon Kardon 19 speaker system EPIC or what !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I'm not sure what manual you are referring to as my owners manual specifications says 0w-40 for the SRT8. I'd advise you to use 0w-40. As for the brand, don't sweat it, either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge will be fine in your car. Just forget the emotional BS associated with 'which oil is best'. Neither will stuff up your car irrespective of what anyone says. (Now there's a grand opening for any floating conspiracy theorist who may be passing by) Move along nothing to see here.

I can tell you I don't use Mobil 1 because 5 million wankers recommend it, including Peter Brock in his Commodore and I hate Commodores and their lefty voting pie eating Ugg boot wearing houso owners. ;) I seem to have mostly used Catrol oils most of my life, but for no particular reason other than that's what the company used that I served my apprenticeship with.... see, at least I'm a tradesman with mech qualifications but I've no doubt the mob I worked for used it because Castrol was just up the road. But equally I've put all sorts of different oils in my cars over the years, but always upper shelf stuff. I've never had a car engine wear out, nor have an issue that I thought was oil related. I have had those issues in model engines years ago with the change from castor oil to synthetic, but never in a car engine. Horses for courses, I wouldn't put modern thin synth oil in an old clunker with a very worn engine and expect everything to be cool because it's a u beaut modern oil.

Mate, it doesn't matter if you use Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge so long as it's 0w40 and I say that only because of warranty and for the same reason use a genuine oil filter. And that's not because their very ordinary oil filters are any better than any other very ordinary oil filter, it's because it's got Chrysler/Mopar written on it and it'll possibly save you a hassle if there's an engine problem and you've got something else fitted.

Finally I noted you're over the pond a little and I assume nothing changes because of that, I can't see how it would as at worst you're a little further south which would have the opposite effect of going to a heavier oil. I think you can safely forget about 5w-40.

If you happen to be interested in something that might or might not float your boat and you're the type to get all warm and fuzzy, which is basically how Mobil 1 sells that over priced stuff Peter Brock flogged that I mentioned earlier, there's another oil that actually has SRT on the label..... bwahahahaha. If you don't mind getting royally screwed over for price you could ask Daryl about that. Seriously. So that's 3 brands of oil you can try. (not including Nulon which even they don't recommend which probably has more to do with licensing than anything) And licensing has everything to do with the one that has SRT on the label and nothing whatever to do with it being an exceptional oil.

As for the HK system, for a 'from factory' system I agree.... EPIC. I've also been down that road in years past and you need deep pockets. The HK will do me I'm very happy with it.

Edit: Your SRT is not supposed to be 'tender and moist' it's designed to be tough as an old boot.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Just for you Steve, I fixed it.

The oil he's referring too is the Penzoil Ultra SRT.

Reactions: Rodge

·
Registered
562 Posts
5w-40 will be fine as well, been running it in my car for the past 2 years without an issue. Stay with a know brand of fully synthetic oil and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Rodge

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks guys and I especially enjoyed your interesting reply Piggy.
Just to clarify where in the manual I was talking about...and I'm not sure if we get a different manual across the ditch but on page 254 of mine the manual reads
Engine Oil Viscosity
SAE 5W-40 engine oil is preferred for use in all operating temperatures. Use only engine oil approved to MS-10725 and/or Fiat 9.55535-Z2
The engine oil filler cap also shows the engine oil viscosity for your engine.

My engine oil filler cap says 0W-40 ? I don't get it, the manual says one thing and the oil filler cap another ? Anyway i'm not going to sweat it, there's bugger all difference between a 5W-40 and a 0W-40 in terms of viscosity anyway so I'm going to run with Mobil 1 0W-40 in the gold pack because Mobil claim its approved under those Chrysler and Fiat spec's, irrespective of what people think of all their corporate sponsorship over the years. Yeap its colder here, especially in winter so that add's further weight to the 0W-40 angle on things.

As far as I know you can't buy that Penzoil Ultra SRT oil in New Zealand, (maybe through Chrysler dealers at a very,"special" price), but Castrol Edge 0W-40 and Mobil 1 OW-40 are both around $99 for 5 litres here so I might as well go with the one that claims it meets the required manufacturer approvals and wait for a day when Ripco or Supercheap have a 25% off everything sale.

How often do they require servicing ?
Seems they have some sort of condition based servicing system as mentioned in the handbook with some message that comes up when its due for a service, or some such thing, but the dealer has put a sticker on the windscreen saying 6 months or 12,000 km's. Warranty Information and service assport doesn;t actually talk much at all about service intervals which seems a bit strange ? Thoughts guys ?

Are the ventilated seats cool technology or what !
BTW test drove a BMW 7 Series 7(50i M Sport), $245,000 here and I reckon our SRT8's have 95% of the technology of what's in that car for a fraction of the price and WAY more character.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
There is a member in NZ that uses the Penzoil Ultra so it is available over there.
Only mentioning it as a FYI, not saying to use one or the other. I just like to to stir Steve up.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I just like to to stir Steve up.
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::slomo::slomo::slomo::lew::wtf::rippedhan:notworthy:notworthy:arg::bigeyes::dance::dance::dance::dance:

:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:twak::twak::wizard::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::bsflag::aargh4::aargh4:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm gunna take a wild punt here and ask if maybe that Penzoil Untra is just a "little" over-priced LOL

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
there all overpriced but of memory its about $60 more to do an oil change than Mobil1

1 - 20 of 90 Posts