Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off wanted to say thanks for all the helpful info I have found on here, its been awesome.

I have about 900 miles on my srt8 and I just installed a Volant last night. I started it up and waited about 20 seconds no CEL.
So this morning I start the car up lots of exhaust (smells super rich) but not blue smoke. After about 10 seconds the exhaust goes back to 'normal' amounts for startup. Do you think that was because of the computer seeing the change?

Next question :)
After about 20 miles with the Intake installed I nailed the gas and the sound is very nice. This was the first time I really nailed it and held the gas for a bit and noticed a hesitation shifting (I think it was second to third - but I could be wrong). Was this because of ESP being on, I didnt get a chance to shut it off and then try again? I read on here about a TSB about flashing somewhere on here...
My build date for the car was 10-2-05 if that helps.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
701 Posts
SHADE said:
First off wanted to say thanks for all the helpful info I have found on here, its been awesome.

I have about 900 miles on my srt8 and I just installed a Volant last night. I started it up and waited about 20 seconds no CEL.
So this morning I start the car up lots of exhaust (smells super rich) but not blue smoke. After about 10 seconds the exhaust goes back to 'normal' amounts for startup. Do you think that was because of the computer seeing the change?

Next question :)
After about 20 miles with the Intake installed I nailed the gas and the sound is very nice. This was the first time I really nailed it and held the gas for a bit and noticed a hesitation shifting (I think it was second to third - but I could be wrong). Was this because of ESP being on, I didnt get a chance to shut it off and then try again? I read on here about a TSB about flashing somewhere on here...
My build date for the car was 10-2-05 if that helps.

Thanks for any input.
Congrats on the 8!! Mine is less than 2 weeks old, also stripped like yours! Mine came with mudflaps which the dealer said were standard. Does yours have mudflaps?

In another thread here http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt-8-general-discussion/14159-srt-8-weights.html I ask how much weight is saved by not having options. It seems the total may be around 100 pounds but there are only a few responses.

Since you posed a tech issue as well as announcing your new wheels, I suspect you scared away some people from offering their congratulations. I haven't replaced my intake. With stock intake I have noticed no shifting hesitations. Does ESP have inputs to the tranny as well as the brakes?

I would have guessed that a more effective CAI would create a leaner mixture, because of the greater density of cooler air (and the velocity sensor can't tell the difference.) So I am surprised you smelled an even richer mixture. I hope others who know more will comment about the mixture and the shifting.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
ESP sees all

ESP is completely integrated into your drivetrain. It can hit an individual brake, retard the throttle, adjust timing, shift trans, lock/unlock torque converter etc., to do the job of keeping you safe. It basically knows all, sees all.

There is no 1-2 hesitation in my car if ESP is disabled, traction is good, and car is in "D". I cannot verify it but I believe the throttle plate is moved precisely at the shift and that's where the "wufff" noise comes from.

Very fancy drivetrain antics courtesy of Benz.

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No mine didnt come with mudflaps, I would have ben upset if they did. Flaps are for trucks....

I still havent tested without ESP off but nailed WOT esp on it totally has the hesitation. I think this is the TSB posted, my thought would be ESP would 'tune down' the amount of power to the wheels not make it hesitate. It kind of feels like when you hit the speed governor on a car how it hesitates. None the less, the car is a monster.

On the startup issue I think I'll reset the ECU and see if the computer will pick up whats going on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to turn off the ESP and hit it. Please let me know what you think.

Just be ready when you do. :wink1:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cold air induction kits on SRT8s are like nice jewelry on women. It may change the appearance, but it does nothing for the performance. Enjoy the additional sound.

ESP must be turned off to enjoy 'most' of the 6.1L pleasures...Torque managment, which we can't get rid of yet, takes the rest of the fun out of it....

Todd

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mud Flaps?

artichoke said:
Congrats on the 8!! Mine is less than 2 weeks old, also stripped like yours! Mine came with mudflaps which the dealer said were standard. Does yours have mudflaps?

In another thread here http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt-8-general-discussion/14159-srt-8-weights.html I ask how much weight is saved by not having options. It seems the total may be around 100 pounds but there are only a few responses.

Since you posed a tech issue as well as announcing your new wheels, I suspect you scared away some people from offering their congratulations. I haven't replaced my intake. With stock intake I have noticed no shifting hesitations. Does ESP have inputs to the tranny as well as the brakes?

I would have guessed that a more effective CAI would create a leaner mixture, because of the greater density of cooler air (and the velocity sensor can't tell the difference.) So I am surprised you smelled an even richer mixture. I hope others who know more will comment about the mixture and the shifting.
Or are they splasguards?

·
Registered
593 Posts
HealeyRick said:
Hope we're not talking about these:

Welcome to the SRT-8 family, guys.

Rick :wave:

REINSTATE RALPH 'SPECKLER' MARTENS
Hey...I'm getting one of those installed in the passenger seat!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts