Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy holidays all! It has been a long time since I have logged in but here goes:
I just put on a set of Michelin 255/55 series mxv4 plus tires and after about 2000 miles cupping is evident on the front and so is a minor vibration. :AR15firin What can be done to eliminate this problem as I do not want a repeat of the Conti wear issues. I have 18k on the car and it is running quite well but can't wait for the superchip programmer. Thanks again! --Dave

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
hemihammer said:
Happy holidays all! It has been a long time since I have logged in but here goes:
I just put on a set of Michelin 255/55 series mxv4 plus tires and after about 2000 miles cupping is evident on the front and so is a minor vibration. :AR15firin What can be done to eliminate this problem as I do not want a repeat of the Conti wear issues. I have 18k on the car and it is running quite well but can't wait for the superchip programmer. Thanks again! --Dave
Dave, those big Michelins will thank you if you boost the cold tire pressure up to at least 36 psi. I rune 255/55 18 BFG's and they really like 40 psi. Anything near 30 is too low and they will roll over and cup.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
NR makes good points, why does this car have so many tire issues. Now we have Michelins cupping! Heresey. My Contis bounced the car around like a pinball, now that Michelins are cupping it makes me wonder if the Modified '96 E Class suspension is not "modified" enough.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was running my Contis at the recommended 30psi all around for about the first 10,000 miles and noticed the fronts cupping and the rears wearing in the middle. I rotated the tires and now run the fronts at 35 and the rears at 26. They seem to be wearing pretty evenly now with about 18,000 miles on the car. They're getting pretty worn however and I'll be lucky to get another 10,000 miles out of them.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
hemihammer said:
Dave, have you had the front end checked out per the right pull TSB? It certainly sounds like a geometry problem with your persistent cupping issue and short tire life.

A number of members have gotten more than 25,000 miles out of their contis. I'll be there soon myself if a Y-rated or faster super performance tire in an acceptable tire size doesn't hit the market soon. And I don't hesitate to push the performance envelope on a regular basis.

I'd get it checked & fixed soon - some wear anomalies aren't reversible after a certain point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Conti's cupped bad at 18K. I'm going for the Bridgestone Potenza next. They have the best rating that I can find to date. Bridgestone blew me off when my dealer called them about an adjustment. I'll never have another set of Conti's period. Chrysler is now mixing in Goodyears. Guess their love affair with Continental is at an end too.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Jameszr1 said:
My Conti's cupped bad at 18K. I'm going for the Bridgestone Potenza next. They have the best rating that I can find to date. Bridgestone blew me off when my dealer called them about an adjustment. I'll never have another set of Conti's period. Chrysler is now mixing in Goodyears. Guess their love affair with Continental is at an end too.
James, I don't think one can say all Continental tires are a problem. I have run Contis on other cars with no issues. Each manufacturer makes a large range of tires.

The tire has to match up to the demands of the vehicle. Chrysler simply picked the wrong tire as OEM for the high performance 300.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I found the Conti Eco to be a fine tire on my Saab and 300E though I'll be the first to say thier tire for the 300C is terrible or is it the other way around, the 300 suspension is terrible for this tire and perhaps others?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Here is a pic of my Conti SelfSealers after 13.4k miles.
Except for the excessive wear, the tire looks normal to me.
But I actually don't know what cupping looks like.

I have been running these tires at 29lbs to 30lbs the entire time.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
joey said:
Here is a pic of my Conti SelfSealers after 13.4k miles.
Except for the excessive wear, the tire looks normal to me.
But I actually don't know what cupping looks like.

I have been running these tires at 29lbs to 30lbs the entire time.
Here's a pretty good link with pics of various types of tire wear, along with details about cause and effect.

Cupping Appearance

Tires will begin to develop a "cupping" appearance when the vehicle suspension loses its ability to absorb "jounce travel." "Jounce travel" is the upward movement of the tire in relation to the vehicle's downward movement. This condition most commonly occurs with weak shock absorbers or incorrect shock application.

Other factors that should be considered when tires "cup" are the springs, tire balance and wheel alignment (in this order). As the springs sag, the shock absorber shaft will be lowered out of its effective range. When a vehicle has ineffective shocks and soft sagging springs, the vehicle becomes susceptible to excessive bouncing.

The downward motion of the bounce will have a "digging" effect on the tire that produces the low spot of the cup. As this condition progresses, it will become self-perpetuating to the point that part replacement and/or tire rotation will not reverse the damage. When encountered, defective parts must be replaced and the tires rotated to the rear or replaced.

When a tire begins to develop bald spots, the most common cause is an unbalanced or defective tire. Occasionally, failure to rotate tires at regular intervals can contribute to bald spots. In either case, the suspension system should be inspected. If defective components are found in the suspension system, consideration should be given as to whether or not the defective components could have caused the bald spots.

If the wear pattern is not severe, balance and rotation of tires is recommended. In severe cases the tire should be replaced. Always check the alignment and adjust as necessary.

This condition usually develops through abuse and poor maintenance. When tires are repeatedly under or over inflated the continuous stress can result in cracks related to fatigue at the tread.

Other possibilities are excessive exposure to high temperature roads, high speed driving, or carrying loads that exceed the rated load capacity. In severe cases, strong consideration should be given as to whether the tire should be replaced with a tire better suited to the vehicle's operating requirements. In less severe cases, the best tires should be rotated to the front axle. Always check the alignment and adjust as necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That could be a picture of my tires after 27700 miles. I try to keep them at 30 to 32 lbs. and I don't squeel the tires on take off. Although I do step on it every now and then. The Conti's seem to work real good in the snow and ice.
We have had some good storms here in Michigan.
Bill

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thanks for the good pic and link.
That is one poor ugly tire! Can't say I have ever seen a tire like that. Most of my previous tire wear problems have been the "Tire smooth on one side", as described in the link you provided. Or "Shoulder wear on both sides" due to under inflation. I have been running the Conti's at their lowest recommended pressure and the shoulder wear doesn't look too out of whack compared to the center tread.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the link HEMEEE, after looking at those pics I'd say my tires have a bit of feather edging....definitely not cupped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts