Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm looking into buying a used 2017 Chrysler 300s from a dealer. It has 40,795 miles on it, & it was a leased vehicle.
Asking price is $22,862.
Is there anything specific to look out for?
Anything I should take into consideration?

Would really appreciate any help & advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Check to see if door panels are warping at the top adjacent to the window. New panels can be in the thousands!

Make sure sunroof operation is flawless.

Make sure all HVAC functions work well including blend doors (variation of temps and foot/head mixing), defrost, and recirculation button (recirc door actuator).

Does A/C get nice and COLD?

Finally, make sure the radio doesn’t “freeze”. Start with that, keep it on at a low to med low volume while you are checking other things out. If it freezes on one note or shuts off unexpectedly, it is defective and no repair...must be replaced and it is expensive. $900 min plus labor/taxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will most likely be going to test drive it this weekend, so I'll make sure to get this pulled up. Thank you really appreciate it.

Should I be worried about the mileage, being that it's a 2017? Doesn't seem bad to me for 3 years, but I don't know how these cars are with mileage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 2012 with 109k. Bought it with 47k and I put the rest on. And let me say I drive my car hard. The noise and handling for such a large car makes me giggle everytime. You really dont have to worry about the engine its usually the rest of the car that will cost you. As mentioned above inspect door panels and the dash ( they tend to lift by the windshield defroster). Make sure the ac/heat functions all work properly. Basically what was said in the above post.

Reactions: Thabiso Modise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just through a thread, & it seems to be a common problem for the 2015's and newer. So I'll definitely keep an eye out for that. Also doesn't seem any amount of additional warranty will help to fix it in the future. Thank you for the insight

·
Registered
467 Posts
Make sure to check the service history. Leased cars don't always get serviced as they should.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You might want to still check out a warranty. Electronics are covered by them. Two weeks after I got mine (not a 300S, but still) the radio went tits up and the warranty covered it, minus the deductible.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If the warranty is from a largish dealer, get the top one ... covers everything except itemized components, mainly wear items. Big dealer will probably only carry reputable warranties (insurance policies). Mopar warranty will be much, much more. Downside is you will want to only bring your car back to dealer for warranty repair to ensure an issue covered. Otherwise it can get to be a pissing match and he said, she said thingy. A smaller dealer or independent, non-FCA dealer may have less known and less reputable warranty vendor. Warranty firms are NOT all the same. Resist the urge to save $$ and not get a warranty. Unfortunately, our FCA vehicles break more often in general than most other vehicles. Good thing that offsets that is our “American” brand parts are plentiful and cheaper than foreign brands. But not enough...you will need your warranty. My $1,800 warranty has already saved me $1,500 (a/c evaporator and recirc door actuator) and I only have 45,000 miles. 4 more years and 55,000 miles to go...I think I will end up using my warranty a lot.

Regarding mileage, 40k is below avg for 3 years old. Avg is about 15k per year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer is a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Fiat dealership, is that what you mean by big dealer? I will definitely look into buying the top of the line warranty.

Really appreciate all the help and advice from all of you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have bought several rentals in the past with great luck, including my 2013 300C V6. However, these have been nicer cars and not sporty cars. I would not buy a rental that is a high horsepower sports car. There is a high liklihood that those have been abused. I just bought my wife’s Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury trim as an off rental. It is perfect. One year old, 23,000 miles, $29,500 instead of $55k! Off rental cars can be a great deal, especially luxury cars which are likely driven very easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of the 300's I found were 300S and 2019's with close to 40,000 miles or more. Didn't want to take the risk. But today I drove home my (new to me) 2017 300S. I'll take pictures tomorrow in some sunlight. Very excited about owning one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of what you guys recommend to look out for checked out, no screen freezing, warped panels, and the ac and heating work fine.

Again I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most of the 300's I found were 300S and 2019's with close to 40,000 miles or more. Didn't want to take the risk. But today I drove home my (new to me) 2017 300S. I'll take pictures tomorrow in some sunlight. Very excited about owning one.
Congrats!
I love my black 2017 300s AWD.
What color is yours ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to our community! I do not do any mods to my cars (other than HID headlights), but there are plenty of folks here that do. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts