Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79k miles, black/black, needs tires and clear headlights to pass MD inspection.

Several projects ahead to get it to the shape I want.

Paint - thinking of clay bar then 3 stage McGuire's to remove oxidation, shine and polish and considering ceramic or similar paint treatment.

Door dings galore down right side, checking onto dent wizard.

Wheels are heavily pitted and have some road rash - might refinish or just get aftermarket (wider) with new tires. Have to investigate but likely $125-$200 per wheel to bring back to OE.

Front grill's black paint is heavily chipped - have to figure best way to tape and paint vs paint all black.

Esp light - scanner not telling much. Likely a wheel sensor gone bad but which one? Have to get it onto the lift to inspect.

A, B & C pillars inside are covered with aftermarket leather which became ruined. Want to replace with basic black materials or will replace covers of I have to

Mopar cold air cone air cleaner added but it seems like it would only pick up hot air under hood. A bad design with no surrounding box and access to air outside engine compartment. Have to figure out better system - just seems it has to have impact on performance.

Big time interior detailing needed.

With new battery car starts fine. Runs, stops and turns good.

Any input is appreciated, happy to share my experiences.

This is my 2nd Mopar. Sold my Viper last year and felt the
need to bring another one home to my garage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
79k miles, black/black, needs tires and clear headlights to pass MD inspection.

Several projects ahead to get it to the shape I want.

Paint - thinking of clay bar then 3 stage McGuire's to remove oxidation, shine and polish and considering ceramic or similar paint treatment.

Door dings galore down right side, checking onto dent wizard.

Wheels are heavily pitted and have some road rash - might refinish or just get aftermarket (wider) with new tires. Have to investigate but likely $125-$200 per wheel to bring back to OE.

Front grill's black paint is heavily chipped - have to figure best way to tape and paint vs paint all black.

Esp light - scanner not telling much. Likely a wheel sensor gone bad but which one? Have to get it onto the lift to inspect.

A, B & C pillars inside are covered with aftermarket leather which became ruined. Want to replace with basic black materials or will replace covers of I have to

Mopar cold air cone air cleaner added but it seems like it would only pick up hot air under hood. A bad design with no surrounding box and access to air outside engine compartment. Have to figure out better system - just seems it has to have impact on performance.

Big time interior detailing needed.

With new battery car starts fine. Runs, stops and turns good.

Any input is appreciated, happy to share my experiences.

This is my 2nd Mopar. Sold my Viper last year and felt the View attachment 173973 need to bring another one home to my garage.
Well, that's a rare ship.

HID headlamp assemblies are going to be very expensive to replace, and they don't look bad at all. Mine were considerably worse. I used a succession of 400, 800, and I think 1200, 2000 and 3000, but in your case I'd probably skip the first two. Once you get them perfectly smooth with the 3000 grit, I'd use a very fine polish, something like Plast-X, and then coat with a clear paint that contains UV protectants, like Rustoleum American Accents.

As far as paint correction, I'm a Junkman disciple myself, which means I'm a Meguiars 105/205 guy.

Personally, there's no way I'd bastardize a collector car like an '05 SRT8 with oversized aftermarket wheels, unless they were clones. I think I'd either powder coat the originals...I wouldn't spend crazy money on that, though...or find some clean used pieces from a junkyard in Texas or somewhere. Even if they weren't exactly correct for the '05, I wouldn't sweat it, since you still have the originals and could always refinish those.

Don't worry too much about the grille. Stockers are very cheap and easy to find in mint condition, because so many 300C owners slapped those goofy faux Bentley grilles on. I was able to find two on Craigslist that looked like they didn't have 100 miles on them for $20 each, both in the same day. Once you have a spare, you can take your time just masking, prepping, and painting without having to worry about featheredging chips or dealing with peeling chrome.

The pillars are no problem at all, you should be able to score a set in good shape from almost any first-gen 300C. You can always paint to match if you have to.

Good luck with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
adalah
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing