Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TSB#: 21-003-06

Date: February 18, 2006

Models: 2005-2006 LX (300/Charger/Magnum)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to LX/LE vehicles equipped with a NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ) that were built prior to December 2005 with a TRANSMISSION build date of July 08, 2005.

Subject: Dipstick Tube Seal May Leak Causing ATF Contamination Or Transmission Shudder/Buzz

Overview: This bulletin involves tests to be performed on the transmission to determine the integrity of the transmission oil fill tube seal. Dependent upon test results: the oil tube seal will require replacement, the transmission may require a flush procedure, and/or the transmission torque converter may require replacement.

Symptom/Condition: Water may leak past the transmission oil fill tube (dipstick tube) seal. Dependent upon the amount of water accumulation in the transmission oil, the customer may experience a transmission shudder vibration and/or an audible high frequency buzz-like sound. The shudder vibration or buzz-like sound may be most noticeable during light acceleration where partial application of the torque converter clutch (TCC) in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear occurs.

The shudder/buzz condition may be due to the torque converter clutch and a “stick-slip” condition caused by contaminated transmission oil/fluid. The transmission fluid contamination may be caused by water intrusion past the transmission fill tube seal.

------
To download a copy of the TSB in PDF format see the master listing sticky thread: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ts...list-all-tsbs-issued-2005-2006-lx-models.html

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's about time. Now we can get the tranny checked and repaired prior to having an unexpected and for DC an expensive repair before havong any symptons. Now maybe they'll do the same thing for the leaking O rings.

RS- Again, many thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Will we be contacted for this one or is it up to the dealer to check it when the car comes in? In my case I had my oil changed last week and wont be back there for about 6 months. I would think Chrysler would be a bit pro-active to get this potential issue resolved Vs waiting for the transmissions to fail then fix them (and piss-off a lot of customers in the process). I think I will call the dealer today and see what they say.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's in your best interest to get back to your dealer. This is not a recall. I had my car in for an oil change on Friday. Showed the dealer the tsb. He is ordering the parts. By the way, if you notice in the tsb, if the vehicle requires the flush, or flush and tc, they will also change the O rings on the 13 pin plug which is the source of the tranny fluid leak. It appears that there are new part numbers available for the O rings that even supersede the ones listed in the old tsb for the O rings dated 1/14/05.

In any event, my dealer will be adding the seal for the dipstick as well as the O rings whether the tranny needs the flush or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My week old 06' CV 300C will be going in for this tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
jeepgrady said:
What males you think that your week old vehicle would require this? Did you check your build date?
I didnt check the build date, but It shutters real bad during light acceleration.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
FYI, it'll likely get worse as winter comes. Driving in the heavy rain/slushy snow + the problem you mention tends to = broken down vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When this shudder occurs is it too late to flush the fluid or does the torque have to be replaced to fix the problem. I just don't want to spend money on fluid if it will not fix the shuddering.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
When this shudder occurs is it too late to flush the fluid or does the torque have to be replaced to fix the problem. I just don't want to spend money on fluid if it will not fix the shuddering.
How many miles on the car? When was the last tranny fluid change?

I had a mild shudder in fifth gear 25-45 mph. The flush fixed it. My experience was that the TC, at lower speeds, wanted to upshift from 5th out of overdrive. Problem gone after the flush. I wouldn't wait any longer to get it changed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
13,060 Posts
What is your build date? This was for cars built before December of 2005.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's always a problem as there is still some inside the torque converter you just can't get to with a straight flush.

Or a royal one for that matter. ;)
I have a transmission flush machine. I was just making sure spending money on the fluid to flush it was not being wasted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had this shudder almost since buying the car in 2007. I have an 06 300c. I never stumbled onto this information until now. I have about 85,000 miles with this shudder crap. Its now starting to get a bit worse.

Will a flush work for me at this point?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to try and drain it this week. AT least give it a flush and drop some new fluid in there. To be honest I don't know what it looks like. I just got a dorman transmission dipstick tool a week ago so I can check it.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I've had this shudder almost since buying the car in 2007. I have an 06 300c. I never stumbled onto this information until now. I have about 85,000 miles with this shudder crap. Its now starting to get a bit worse.

Will a flush work for me at this point?
Owner's manual says change tranny fluid and filter at 60,000 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts