1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TSB#: 18-031-05

Date: July 21, 2005

Subject: Flash: Shift Hesitation During Wide Open Throttle

Overview: This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.

Models: 2005 - 2006 (LX) SRT-8 (300C/Magnum/Charger)

NOTE: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 6.1L engine (sales code ESF) and a NAG1 automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) built on or before July 25, 2005.

Symptom/Condition: Randomly during a wide open throttle condition the engine RPM goes beyond the fuel cutoff point before the 1-2 upshift is made. This causes a short hard bump at the beginning of the shift. It is more likely to occur if the vehicle is traveling around 15 MPH and then the throttle is pushed to wide open (WOT). This condition is caused by the TCM not being able to calculate the correct engine speed at which to initiate the shift.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:
TSB#: 18-031-05

Date: July 21, 2005

Subject: Flash: Shift Hesitation During Wide Open Throttle

Overview: This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.

Models: 2005 - 2006 (LX) SRT-8 (300C/Magnum/Charger)

NOTE: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 6.1L engine (sales code ESF) and a NAG1 automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) built on or before July 25, 2005.

Symptom/Condition: Randomly during a wide open throttle condition the engine RPM goes beyond the fuel cutoff point before the 1-2 upshift is made. This causes a short hard bump at the beginning of the shift. It is more likely to occur if the vehicle is traveling around 15 MPH and then the throttle is pushed to wide open (WOT). This condition is caused by the TCM not being able to calculate the correct engine speed at which to initiate the shift.

WOOOHOOOO!!!

It's official now, I'm making a trip to the dealership!

Thanks ResumeSpeed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Amazing coincidence, I noticed a strange sort of "hiccup" today. I was pulling out from a side street and had to navigate around an 18 wheeler who was doing what they do best - taking a wide turn :biggrin:

So I hammered it :evil: and got a really strange 1-2 shift. I wasn't watching the tach, but it felt like the engine completely cut out for a fraction of a second. It came back with lots of power, but was a bit disconcerting.

Brett

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
BrettG said:
Amazing coincidence, I noticed a strange sort of "hiccup" today. I was pulling out from a side street and had to navigate around an 18 wheeler who was doing what they do best - taking a wide turn :biggrin:

So I hammered it :evil: and got a really strange 1-2 shift. I wasn't watching the tach, but it felt like the engine completely cut out for a fraction of a second. It came back with lots of power, but was a bit disconcerting.

Brett

Yep, that's it!

Take it in!

I'm so glad this TSB came out now since I'm going to the track in a few weeks...This will REALLY hurt my times if it happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does anyone have the website for looking up the bulletins for the SRT8?

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Is this the "problem" where sometimes my car shifts like it's a true manual transmission? Sometimes, at WOT the shift seems to take a full second and it feels like I pushed in a clutch, paused a second, then engaged the next gear. Is that what you guys are describing?

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
JMatt said:
Is this the "problem" where sometimes my car shifts like it's a true manual transmission? Sometimes, at WOT the shift seems to take a full second and it feels like I pushed in a clutch, paused a second, then engaged the next gear. Is that what you guys are describing?

.... Yessir.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
srt42 said:
Does anyone have the website for looking up the bulletins for the SRT8?
I don't know about a website, but that's because I don't need to know... we have our very own ResumeSpeed to keep us "up to speed" on these issues!!

Check out the complete TSB list, which is a sticky in the Problems / Dealers Service Forum and is kept up-to-date with great care and loyalty by RS himself.

Thanks again RS!! :You_Rock_

·
Registered
549 Posts
Guys and gals, I JUST walked in the door from having this done on my 300C and didnt even see this thread before. THE TSB fix is REMARKABLE! That hicup thing was driving me nuts. It's GONE! Tested it it like mad on the way home. All new love for the gas pedal now.
ouch on the gas milage.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
kidcoastal said:
Guys and gals, I JUST walked in the door from having this done on my 300C and didnt even see this thread before. THE TSB fix is REMARKABLE! That hicup thing was driving me nuts. It's GONE! Tested it it like mad on the way home. All new love for the gas pedal now.
ouch on the gas milage.
Hey Steven, according to the TSB, this fix only applies to the SRT's... can you elaborate? Is the TSB # actually listed on your invoice? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
549 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Hey Steven, according to the TSB, this fix only applies to the SRT's... can you elaborate? Is the TSB # actually listed on your invoice? Inquiring minds want to know!
Hey Hemeee... I just went in b.c the accelorator pedal/transmission thing was acting up again I fixed it a first with the accelorator reset like you mentioned. Then, when I had my HID's put in they disconnected the battery and the same thing came up. So, I tried it again but it was acting funny. I took it in to see what their thoughts were and if there was any updates for the car since I got it back in January. The little laptop thing came back with about a half dozen things including 2 transmission computer errors. He uploaded the latest version of whatever for the car and rechecked. They were gone, and I drove off. It seemed to do the trick. Before.... when I noticed it the most was cruising around 40 mph and then going to 3/4 throttle, it would actually send the rpms up about 1000 rpms and then immediately shift into a LOWER gear sending the needle way down, bogging the car a little until I got to around 3600 rpms, when it should have gone the other way... down to second or first and launchng forward. It was wierd! So that ran the computer through it and it was more responsive. I'm going to keep an eye on this for the next few days to make sure it wasnt my imagination. I'm REALLY hoping it is completely fixed. If I notice it again, Im afraid it might be water in the trans. Man, I hope not. I didnt keep the Invoice since I cleaned out my car just after... :tired:

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
kidcoastal said:
Hey Hemeee... I just went in b.c the accelorator pedal/transmission thing was acting up again I fixed it a first with the accelorator reset like you mentioned. Then, when I had my HID's put in they disconnected the battery and the same thing came up. So, I tried it again but it was acting funny. I took it in to see what their thoughts were and if there was any updates for the car since I got it back in January. The little laptop thing came back with about a half dozen things including 2 transmission computer errors. He uploaded the latest version of whatever for the car and rechecked. They were gone, and I drove off. It seemed to do the trick. Before.... when I noticed it the most was cruising around 40 mph and then going to 3/4 throttle, it would actually send the rpms up about 1000 rpms and then immediately shift into a LOWER gear sending the needle way down, bogging the car a little until I got to around 3600 rpms, when it should have gone the other way... down to second or first and launchng forward. It was wierd! So that ran the computer through it and it was more responsive. I'm going to keep an eye on this for the next few days to make sure it wasnt my imagination. I'm REALLY hoping it is completely fixed. If I notice it again, Im afraid it might be water in the trans. Man, I hope not. I didnt keep the Invoice since I cleaned out my car just after... :tired:

What you're describing is different than what the 6.1's are doing. You definitely had a different TSB fix done.

But, from what it sounds you should start a new thread letting the 5.7 people know because it definitely sounds like something they should all get done!

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
vvv90 said:
What you're describing is different than what the 6.1's are doing. You definitely had a different TSB fix done.

But, from what it sounds you should start a new thread letting the 5.7 people know because it definitely sounds like something they should all get done!
Agreed maybe a new thread is in order, don't want to hijack this one... Steven, can you call your dealer and have their techs give you details about the error codes they found, also talk with the cashier's office and ask them to email or fax a copy of your invoice? PM me if they can only fax and you don't have one. Once you have that info, you'll know if a new thread is in order and can come back and edit in a link to the new thread... either way, I'd like to know how it works out for you over time.

In closing, I've said it before and it bears repeating: PLEASE... anyone that hasn't had the water-in-trans fix done should insist their dealership do it now, don't wait for symptoms! I asked my dealer to do it as a preventive measure and they, who are not so keen on pleasing customers, did so without question. Much easier and less costly to do this fix than replace a trans!

Okay, back to you SRT8 guys! :wink1:

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Agreed maybe a new thread is in order, don't want to hijack this one... Steven, can you call your dealer and have their techs give you details about the error codes they found, also talk with the cashier's office and ask them to email or fax a copy of your invoice? PM me if they can only fax and you don't have one. Once you have that info, you'll know if a new thread is in order and can come back and edit in a link to the new thread... either way, I'd like to know how it works out for you over time.

In closing, I've said it before and it bears repeating: PLEASE... anyone that hasn't had the water-in-trans fix done should insist their dealership do it now, don't wait for symptoms! I asked my dealer to do it as a preventive measure and they, who are not so keen on pleasing customers, did so without question. Much easier and less costly to do this fix than replace a trans!

Okay, back to you SRT8 guys! :wink1:

Yeah, I don't think he was hijacking per sey, just mistaken. I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread since most people seeing "6.1" in the title would miss the important information KidCoastal is saying.

:wave:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Okay, guys/gals, I had this TSB done on Thursday and got the car back Friday. I have not put many miles on it since its return, but I have put it up to the redline for the 1-2 shift a few times. It hasn't missed yet. This isn't saying much, though, as mine only did it once and a great while. I don't think I would have even taken in yet, as it was so infrequent I couldn't put any commonalities together for the event. More to come, I guess, but nothing to report....

Todd

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Mine is VERY frequent so if it works, I'll know it the first night. I'm calling DC today to schedule my TSB for later this week.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm wondering what the TSB really does?

Does it drop the shift point to a lower RPM?
and/or reduces the fuel "off" time between shifts?
and/or firms up the shifts by reducing delays between shifts?

I hope the TSB doesn't lower the shift point as the SRT-8 has lot's of pull
next to redline and lowering the shift would also mean lowering the RPM's when it goes into 2nd and 3rd killing power and slower times.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
300C_AWD said:
I'm wondering what the TSB really does?

Does it drop the shift point to a lower RPM?
and/or reduces the fuel "off" time between shifts?
and/or firms up the shifts by reducing delays between shifts?

I hope the TSB doesn't lower the shift point as the SRT-8 has lot's of pull
next to redline and lowering the shift would also mean lowering the RPM's when it goes into 2nd and 3rd killing power and slower times.
Actually that's not true. Peak HP is created at 6000, but shifting before redline isn't necessary either from what I can feel in the seat of my pants.

My guess is that the shift point was moved down. Whatever it is, it's not going to hurt performance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts