Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was love at first sight! My Satin Jade Pearl 300C with minimal options and a Jade/Greystone interior. Sitting there waiting for me to take her home. I've been contemplating buying this exact same car for almost a year now, and here it was at a local dealership fresh off the truck! After the usual once over, I went inside to get the employee price on my Jaded Jewel. My wife and I were just looking, but ended up driving it home that afternoon, What a feeling to look and buy all within a couple of hours. I've bought many cars over my 60 years, but never looked and took it home on the same day! :) One of the formalities at the dealership was to meet the sales manager, as well as the service manager and ask any questions regarding your purchase. The young lady service manager asked if I had any questions about servicing the car. I did. I asked about oil capacity and how often I should have it changed. She told me that the 5.7L Hemi required 10 quarts of special oil, not synthetic,and since I am a retiree and don't put on a lot of miles, I should consider having my oil chaged every 1500 miles right at the dealership for there $49.95 special price! WHAT THE HELL was she talking about? I told her I usually change my own oil, and I would put in Mobil ! just like I do in my VETTE, she said absolutely no synthetic should be used in the Hemi! Plus it is difficult to change because of some bracket that needs to be removed. Whoa! Anyway, I knew I wouldn't be taking my car back to that dealership for anything. Long story/short...I called a friend who has a 300C also and he tells me he just had his first oil change at the dealer and they used Mobil ! Synthetic, 8 quarts plus filter and it cost $79.99 for his oil change, and his salesman picked up the tab! I get home and reads the manual, it sates 7 quarts 5w20 , and synthetic is ok if you want. Are these service managers that are trained by daimler Chrysler on the same page? WHAT DO YOU SAY???? :) Any comments?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
mojoman said:
It was love at first sight! My Satin Jade Pearl 300C with minimal options and a Jade/Greystone interior. Sitting there waiting for me to take her home. I've been contemplating buying this exact same car for almost a year now, and here it was at a local dealership fresh off the truck! After the usual once over, I went inside to get the employee price on my Jaded Jewel. My wife and I were just looking, but ended up driving it home that afternoon, What a feeling to look and buy all within a couple of hours. I've bought many cars over my 60 years, but never looked and took it home on the same day! :) One of the formalities at the dealership was to meet the sales manager, as well as the service manager and ask any questions regarding your purchase. The young lady service manager asked if I had any questions about servicing the car. I did. I asked about oil capacity and how often I should have it changed. She told me that the 5.7L Hemi required 10 quarts of special oil, not synthetic,and since I am a retiree and don't put on a lot of miles, I should consider having my oil chaged every 1500 miles right at the dealership for there $49.95 special price! WHAT THE HELL was she talking about? I told her I usually change my own oil, and I would put in Mobil ! just like I do in my VETTE, she said absolutely no synthetic should be used in the Hemi! Plus it is difficult to change because of some bracket that needs to be removed. Whoa! Anyway, I knew I wouldn't be taking my car back to that dealership for anything. Long story/short...I called a friend who has a 300C also and he tells me he just had his first oil change at the dealer and they used Mobil ! Synthetic, 8 quarts plus filter and it cost $79.99 for his oil change, and his salesman picked up the tab! I get home and reads the manual, it sates 7 quarts 5w20 , and synthetic is ok if you want. Are these service managers that are trained by daimler Chrysler on the same page? WHAT DO YOU SAY???? :) Any comments?
Mojoman, welcome to the site I also have the Satin Jade and love it. I don't do my own oil change but the one I had, they put in the wrong oil and didn't find out until I was reading this forum and I took it right back and they then did the proper thing. Several here have used the synthetic oil with no problems and I think you are right to find another dealer. Anything you want to know is on here so don't be afraid to ask and again welcome on board!!!! :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
10 quarts in the 5.7 hemi? Boy, I would make sure I found another dealers service dept. that knew what they were doing. But it is amazing how little dealership personnel know about their own vehicles.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Welcome Mojoman and your Jaded Jewel. Run, don't walk, and find another service dealer.

Change your own oil. Takes the same filter as the 300M, Takes just under 7 quarts of 5w-20. there is a belly shield under the engine held on by several 10mm screws. That's it. I run Castrol Syntec. Mobile 1 now have a true synthetic in that weight. I know about love at first sight with this car. I bought mine the same way. Never did that before either.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hmmmmm...not to thread jack, but can someone comment on the difficulty of douing the oil change ourselves?

I was planning on mdoing my own in anothre 1000 miles and was unaware of this "shield" that is in place.

Is this something that would have to be removed EACH time you changed the oil?? And just how MANY screws are there for this shield?? Sounds like a PITA to me.

Also, how easy it to get to the oil filter?? Can you reach it without much difficulty??

ANybody that has changed their own oil already on the 300 - appreciate some input.

Thanks!

JFF:D

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
mojoman said:
The young lady service manager asked if I had any questions about servicing the car. I did. I asked about oil capacity and how often I should have it changed. She told me that the 5.7L Hemi required 10 quarts of special oil, not synthetic,and since I am a retiree and don't put on a lot of miles, I should consider having my oil chaged every 1500 miles right at the dealership for there $49.95 special price! WHAT THE HELL was she talking about?

She was trying to impress you with her lack of accurate knowledge! I'd say she succeeded!
Now if it was me, I'd make a deal with her. Go in for her special, have her stack up the 10 quarts, and then pour them in. And when they're all in there check the oil level. Now the deal: if it's overfull, she takes out the excess and you go on your way free of charge, I don't think she'd go for it because she now knows that you know that she's talking trash.

I too do my own oil changes. That's one of the first things I read up on in the owner's manual as I bought the dealership owner's demo vehicle with 4600 miles on it and figured I do an oil change. Seven qurts is the figure right there in the book! I think I'll treat myself and the car to a professional oil and filter change. The weather is still a bit too nasty to do an oil change outside (especially if there is a cover to be removed to access the filter), and my 1-car garage is filled with my dormant-for-the-winter antique Ford.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts