Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, what is the best CAI for the money? I've heard Volant is but before I spend that money I gots ta no!!:smashfrea I'm Looking for Performance VS MPG

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
WELCOME from our West Virginia LXs in the Mid-Ohio River Valley! AFE StageII unleases about the same power gain as the Air Hammer, and depending on which variety of Air Hammer you might specify probably would cost less... However, IMO the StageII doesn't compare with the look of the Air Hammer once the hood is open.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok I got two replies. So I guess these are the only ones to consider? Any thoughts on the Volant or the Air-raid?:pat: Give me some insight on how many MPG's you guys have picked up. Thanks....

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
The primary effect is sound... not HP or MPG. However the extensive "Modification Face-Offs" that have been conducted by members of the LX community have shown that the AFE StgII and Air Hammer are the only CAIs which recoup HP (5-8) vs. the very well designed stock intake systems of the V8s.

Other CAIs tested either didn't change dyno-measured HP, or hurt HP.

I can't say that I've noticed any appreciable change in MPG, but I'm confident that it hasn't hurt my fuel economy.

Perhaps a bigger factor is running a cooler Tstat (185 F vs. the stock 203 F). There's lots of info around these boards and others about making this easy and cheap mod for extra power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The primary effect is sound... not HP or MPG. However the extensive "Modification Face-Offs" that have been conducted by members of the LX community have shown that the AFE StgII and Air Hammer are the only CAIs which recoup HP (5-8) vs. the very well designed stock intake systems of the V8s.

Other CAIs tested either didn't change dyno-measured HP, or hurt HP.

I can't say that I've noticed any appreciable change in MPG, but I'm confident that it hasn't hurt my fuel economy.

Perhaps a bigger factor is running a cooler Tstat (185 F vs. the stock 203 F). There's lots of info around these boards and others about making this easy and cheap mod for extra power and fuel economy.
You know, then next person that suggests stationary chassis dyno testing comparing CAIs is remotely valid should be BANNED for 30 days.
It's an invalid method for a HOOD DOWN, airflow DEPENDENT device.

Even Diablo said it was maybe a 1hp difference. Don't see any tunes on the Diablo dependent on the CAI brand, do we??

OP: Get whichever one you like. AFE, Hammer, Mopar, K&N, etc. As long as the filter is good and it's a good name in the industry.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Thanks for you opinion...

You know... the next time you...

Never mind....

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're patient you can pick up a really good used system a lot cheaper. I picked up my used K&N intake on ebay for $77. Nuff said.

·
Registered
771 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
The post says about 10 hp, not 1.
I do believe he meant a difference of about 1 hp between the different
CAI types, not a 1 hp gain.

All the ones Diablo tested all made ABOUT 10 hp. Some made 9 hp, some
made 11 hp and so on...

Jim

·
Registered
771 Posts
Deuuce is correct. Johan from Diablo's last sentence states :Other than that there was not much difference. My 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts