Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following is extracted from a recent issue of "The Car Connection".

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is requiring that a certain type of power-window switches be required in vehicles with power windows by 2008. The switches are lever-type switches that require a pull up to raise the window; rocker-type switches and toggle switches, which rely on back-and-forth motion, will be disallowed by the new rules, which the NHTSA says are crafted in response to the deaths of some children who have been killed when they accidentally trapped themselves in power windows. The number of children killed in this way is thought to be less than 37, a number cited by consumer safety groups, according to the AP. The new switches are required by Oct. 1, 2008. Automakers not currently using the switches in their vehicles - some domestic vehicles like the Ford Freestar minivan ..."

All members of these forums will be pleased to note that their 2005 Chrysler 300 products already meet this newly mandated change of window controls. Further, the power windows in this series of product also have a built-in reverse feature should anything interfere with the upward motion of the windows in these cars, thus exceeding the NHTSA's newly levied requirement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the built in reverse work on the rear windows? I have yet to try it.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I wonder how many dogs have also been killed/injured? :confused:

Our 100lb Black Lab rides everywhere with us and lives with her head out the window or her front paws standing on the center console (just ordered the console cover cause her nails are creating scratch marks :( )

Most cars, including the 300/c, have a tapering gap between the rear window and the rear window frame were heads/necks can get wedged in.
Many occasions, in my previous car, she would slip during my wild maneuvers and her head/neck would get caught in between the window and window frame, choking her.
The 300/c's window/frame gap is not as pronounced as my previous Bonneville and the 300/c window can be fully opened/lowered, so there is less likely a chance for getting her neck wedged in there.
She likes the bigger console to stand on, but doesn't like the Hemi ride. No time for her to brace herself as she is plastered against the back seat. :eek:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
The Japanese and Europeans have had these switches for many years. Of course the late American companies are last to figure these kinds of things out. ABS,Window Curtains, rear three point belts (present on my 1970 300SEL 6.3),ESP, hazard switch on the dash not an impossible to use button buried in the bottom if the steering column, the list goes on and on. GM is without a doubt the worst offender. Has anyone noticed our rear seatbelts are the old American style pendulum units, that only lock under deceleration unlike the much better front Euro stlye that automatically lock with a quick pull?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My windows go down if I try and roll them up on my hand. I try it every weekend. I hate my hands.. :D

Damn safety functions... :p

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CJ300 said:
Does the built in reverse work on the rear windows? I have yet to try it.
Dunno, anyone?

I expect that the rear windows will NOT auto-reverse because they are not <auto-up or down> as are the front windows. Due to that action up front, the auto-reverse is an essential safety feature.

I haven't tried them yet; but will.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried my rear windows; they do NOT auto-retract if something gets in the way. They can really pinch your arm or whatever gets in the way, be careful with those rear windows.

So it's as was surmised earlier -- that auto-retract feature works ONLY on the front two windows on the "C" which have the auto-up/down controls. (And, I'm sure on any other 300 model which has this freature as an option, if available).

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I know of no car that as auto retract on the windows if auto up /down is not present, the C rear windows are not unique or defective in this respect. It does have auto stop if someone yells, take your finger off the button. The good news is they are the safe push/pull type as opposed to the poorly designed rockers of so many donestic cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts