Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Nitto or Toyo 20"

8K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Primal69 
#1 · (Edited)
I am currently looking to buy either the Toyo Proxes S/T or Nitto 420S tire - 255/45/20. Both tires have the exact same ratings 420-AA. Both have 11mm tire depth.
I want to buy the tire that grips best on wet roads.
No snow where I live, so I don't need snow performance.
I have seen some comments that the Toyo's were worse than the Conti's in wet weather, but havn't seen any comments about the Nitto's.

Anyone know from experience which tire grips best in wet weather?

I am leaning toward the Toyo's, only because the tread pattern looks more traditional.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=6
http://www.nittotire.com/tires_420s.asp

Toyo Proxes S/T

Nitto 420S

See less See more
#4 ·
joey said:
I am buying 20" rims with tires. They typically are sold with Nitto's. I asked about the Toyo's, and they said they could replace the Nitto's with the Proxes. I am looking for an all weather tire, which eliminates some other options.
Hi joey, sounds like you may be buying the same rims and tires that I just ordered, Possibly MC2'S?

#6 ·
E55 KEV said:
I would really hate to add taller tires. OEM size at 28.6 inches is tall enough. Those 255/45/20 at 29.6 inches seem to tall. Has anyone considered the Toyo in 255/40/20 at 28.0 inches?
Hey Glad you responded, Since a Mopar dist. Suggested these tires I thought I was safe, but if you think otherwise, am I looking for trouble? I do have AWD and have a lot of gap to fill, but glad to hear from a administer, what to do?

#7 · (Edited)
E55 Kev,
This tire calculator says the 255/45/20's are 29.04 in diameter.
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
Not sure why the tire diameter says 29.6 on the Toyo website.
Stock is 28.63
They are a little taller, but many folks have been running the 255/45 taller tires.
I would rather have taller tires to fill in the gap.

Big Bob,
You are right. I am buying the MC2 wheels. Can't wait any longer because my Conti's will need replacing in about 5000 miles. I want to keep the stock Conti's for the day I trade her in. I am assuming the dealers will want a stock trade in, so I am keeping my rims. I want to have some remaining rubber on the Conti's when it comes time for a trade-in.

#8 ·
joey said:
I am currently looking to buy either the Toyo Proxes S/T or Nitto 420S tire - 255/45/20. Both tires have the exact same ratings 420-AA. Both have 11mm tire depth.
I want to buy the tire that grips best on wet roads.
No snow where I live, so I don't need snow performance.
I have seen some comments that the Toyo's were worse than the Conti's in wet weather, but havn't seen any comments about the Nitto's.

Anyone know from experience which tire grips best in wet weather?

I am leaning toward the Toyo's, only because the tread pattern looks more traditional.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=6
http://www.nittotire.com/tires_420s.asp

Toyo Proxes S/T

Nitto 420S

I have Toyo T1-S tires (my second set) and they are the baddest rain tires made! I am also aware that Toyo's new tire model (not sure of the name) kinda sucks. Get the T1-S and you will ride in a downpour on the highway at 85 MPH without hydroplaning-I have done it many many times. They actually don't wear out all that fast like the shop told me they would!

#9 ·
DUBAIR said:
I have Toyo T1-S tires (my second set) and they are the baddest rain tires made! I am also aware that Toyo's new tire model (not sure of the name) kinda sucks. Get the T1-S and you will ride in a downpour on the highway at 85 MPH without hydroplaning-I have done it many many times. They actually don't wear out all that fast like the shop told me they would!
Just checked the Toyo site and T1-S doesn't seem to come in a 20" tire that fits the 300. You have these on another car?

#12 ·
I have the Nittos 245/45/20. There fine i havent have any real trouble with them. No rubbin tracktion is good except in fresh snow. But you should be out in snow anyway.:biggrin: I had the Dealer fix the size in the computer so now issuses there ither. Good luck.

#14 ·
(Dang Trolls anyway....someone should declare open season on them!)

joey,
I have the Nitto 420S, 255/45/20, and got to truly experience them in our California rain this past Sunday/Monday (you know the old song, "it never rains in So. Cal, it pours!"). The driving included freeway and country roads and I was very impressed with their road grip. I never felt like the tires would slide out, spin out, or fail to grip properly during braking. This is just my experience and I tend to drive with just a slight lead foot. I also like the concept of the multi-directional rotation you get with this tire design. As you know, we truly don't get that much rain and I doubt you have snow in Fremont. I have not noticed any difference in road noise after switching from the Conti's yet I was very worried about this. I suppose only time will tell with future experiences because I only have 3500 miles on them.

Good luck!
bruno

#15 ·
I forgot about the rotation thing. That was one of the resones i did it.

The snow wasnt the real problem it was the starting and stopping. thats always the real problem.

I use to collect Troll back in the 80's what the heck were we thinking.

#16 ·
bruno said:
(Dang Trolls anyway....someone should declare open season on them!)

joey,
I have the Nitto 420S, 255/45/20, and got to truly experience them in our California rain this past Sunday/Monday (you know the old song, "it never rains in So. Cal, it pours!"). The driving included freeway and country roads and I was very impressed with their road grip. I never felt like the tires would slide out, spin out, or fail to grip properly during braking. This is just my experience and I tend to drive with just a slight lead foot. I also like the concept of the multi-directional rotation you get with this tire design. As you know, we truly don't get that much rain and I doubt you have snow in Fremont. I have not noticed any difference in road noise after switching from the Conti's yet I was very worried about this. I suppose only time will tell with future experiences because I only have 3500 miles on them.

Good luck!
bruno
Great to hear this, that's what I ordered (Nitto420S-255/45/20's). They will be my fair weather wheels, Thanks guy's for the feed back

#17 · (Edited)
joey said:
E55 Kev,
This tire calculator says the 255/45/20's are 29.04 in diameter.
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
Not sure why the tire diameter says 29.6 on the Toyo website.
Stock is 28.63
They are a little taller, but many folks have been running the 255/45 taller tires.
I would rather have taller tires to fill in the gap.
joey, the true size is what the tire maker says and not a tire calculator. Go by what the tire company states and not by the general generic tire calculator. Tire size calculators can not take into account tread thickness which would differ from tire makers and tire models. Tire height of any tire is going to be different between tire makers and models. No calculator can give you the height of what Nitto or Toyo actually builds. The tire calculator can not give you a 'true' height of any tire especially a tire designed for SUV which would have a larger tread height over a passenger car tire of the same size. An SUV tire will be slightly taller than the same size tire designed for a passeger car due to deeper treads.

#18 ·
Scarbrs said:
I have the Nittos 245/45/20. There fine i havent have any real trouble with them. No rubbin tracktion is good except in fresh snow. But you should be out in snow anyway.:biggrin: I had the Dealer fix the size in the computer so now issuses there ither. Good luck.
Is that a typo? Do you mean 255/45/20 by Nitto? The only 245/45/20 on the market is by Goodyear.

#19 ·
E55 KEV said:
joey, the true size is what the tire maker says and not a tire calculator. Go by what the tire company states and not by the general generic tire calculator. Tire size calculators can not take into account tread thickness which would differ from tire makers and tire models. Tire height of any tire is going to be different between tire makers and models. No calculator can give you the height of what Nitto or Toyo actually builds. The tire calculator can not give you a 'true' height of any tire especially a tire designed for SUV which would have a larger tread height over a passenger car tire of the same size. An SUV tire will be slightly taller than the same size tire designed for a passeger car due to deeper treads.
Not sure what to make of the discrepancies.
The Nitto and Goodyear Eagles publish their tire diameter closer to the calculator.
Nitto 29.13
http://www.nittotire.com/popup_420_sizes.asp
Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 29.1
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...eadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

Maybe the Proxes are taller. But several forum members are running the 255/45/20's and I don't recall reading about any issues.
Maybe the taller tire size is why they seem to fill out the gap so well.
Below is a pic of Angi300C's Proxes, which look good to me. Makes the car look like it has been lowered. I guess I'll know soon. I ordered the Proxes on a set of 20's I should be receiving in a week or so.

#21 ·
I think that Chrysler, Dodge, etc. are putting 45 height so they don't have as many bent stock wheels coming in, with a lower height OEM tire on there 20" OEM wheels. My Dad has the Infiniti M35 and it came with 19", what an odd size wheel, I know, and 45 height tires OEM.

I have the SRT, so I am staying with 20's, but tire size set up will be F 275/35/20 (20 x 8.5 or 9) and R 295/40/20 (20 x 10 or 10.5). Don't go higher than 45, what OEM suggests, just to fill in the wheel wells. You can always drop the car with the KW suspension, and dial in what you want lowered to fill in the gap, if that is all you are looking to do. If you want better performance, lower the kit more, help keep the wind from under the car and giving you lift. Mark

#22 · (Edited)
joey said:
Not sure what to make of the discrepancies.
The Nitto and Goodyear Eagles publish their tire diameter closer to the calculator.
Nitto 29.13
http://www.nittotire.com/popup_420_sizes.asp
Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 29.1
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...eadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

Maybe the Proxes are taller. But several forum members are running the 255/45/20's and I don't recall reading about any issues.
Maybe the taller tire size is why they seem to fill out the gap so well.
Below is a pic of Angi300C's Proxes, which look good to me. Makes the car look like it has been lowered. I guess I'll know soon. I ordered the Proxes on a set of 20's I should be receiving in a week or so.

...................................................................................................................................... Well on Wed. I got my delivery of my 20' rims and tires, there was a little mix up, the tires were the Proxes (255/45/20), not the Nitto's. These are my fair weather wheels, but could not wait and put them on 23 hours later. On my AWD they look great and ride fantastic, not a problem and love the way they fill the wheel wells, here is a pic.....
[/IMG].....
[/IMG]

#24 ·
Big Bob said:
Well on Wed. I got my delivery of my 20' rims and tires, there was a little mix up, the tires were the Proxes (255/45/20), not the Nitto's. These are my fair weather wheels, but could not wait and put them on 23 hours later. On my AWD they look great and ride fantastic, not a problem and love the way they fill the wheel wells, here is a pic.QUOTE]

Your car looks great. I didn't notice your car was an AWD until you mentioned it.

When did you order your wheels? I ordered mine (the RT15) on Dec 30 and was told 2 weeks delivery because they where being built, or were in process. I will be calling Monday to check my order.
I actually started this thread on Jan 3, after I ordered my rims with the Proxes.
The MC2's are supposed to have Nitto's, but MC2 agreed to switch my tires to Proxes.
I figured I had a week to change my order to Nitto's, so I started this thread.
I wonder if somehow your tires got mixed up with mine? Strange MC2 would all of sudden start shipping wheels with the Proxes.

#25 ·
Your car looks great. I didn't notice your car was an AWD until you mentioned it.

When did you order your wheels? I ordered mine (the RT15) on Dec 30 and was told 2 weeks delivery because they where being built, or were in process. I will be calling Monday to check my order.
I actually started this thread on Jan 3, after I ordered my rims with the Proxes.
The MC2's are supposed to have Nitto's, but MC2 agreed to switch my tires to Proxes.
I figured I had a week to change my order to Nitto's, so I started this thread.
I wonder if somehow your tires got mixed up with mine? Strange MC2 would all of sudden start shipping wheels with the Proxes.[/QUOTE]
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Hey Guys, When I first ordered my wheels I asked what tires were on them and was told Nitto's, then a day later I realized that I forgot to tell them I wanted the senors on, so they then ordered new wheels from California and they were shipped to me in one week, on Wed. got the delivery and noticed that they were Proxes. Looked up the sit online and they indicate that they wood put on High-Performance tires, but not say which ones, I thought about sending them back but then looked up info on them and realized it was a toss up and decided to keep them. I will properly take them off soon (because of the weather) or maybe not, they ride and feel great, glad to have gone with the 20's and very happy with the Proxes. Good Luck Joey, and see ya Bruno.......Big Bob...(but you can call me big)

#26 ·
When the tires wear out on my car, I'm thinking of the Toyo 255/45-20s for FRONT, 265/45-20s for REAR so I can fill in the gap that I think the SRT8 STILL leaves. I was thinking of dropping the car to get rid of the gap, but I don't want to lose more ground clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.