Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why DC decided to not use an anti-theft steering column anymore? Not only does the 300 not have it, I tested a '05 Grand Cherokee, and that doesn't have it either.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'll take a guess... Since the transmission still locks they are not leagally required to have one and since the ignition has been moved off the steering column the only way to lock it would be with an electronic lock. My Corvette had such an electronic lock and GM had a BIG headache with them. After many complaints from owners and the NHTSA getting involved there were finally a couple of recalls that fixed the problem (lock was sometimes not unlocking and sometime locking even during vehicle motion) by simply disabling the lock all together.

·
Registered
824 Posts

From what I hear steering column locks are a false sense of security. I've seen many programs where guys break the lock with tools and even bare human strength using their legs and the center console of most cars for leverage.

Besides the fact that modern day steering wheels are made to help "absorb" crash impact, so they are not really a good canidate for use as a anti-theft mech.

I guess most manufactures are leaning toward more electrical/technical remedies. "magic" keys, and crap like that. Push button starts that only start when its senses the right key within 3ft. of the car.

Crap like that. Just my 2

·
Registered
887 Posts
If anyone hasn't seen the "unbreakable" auto lock pro - I use one on my Vert. It locks the brake pedal in place. Won't prevent a flat bed from coming and taking your ride (nothing will if they want it), but they would not be able to drive the car. With the rest of the anti-theft features it's a great tool to use.

http://www.unbreakable.com/Unbreakable_Auto_BL.htm

·
Registered
824 Posts
nice

5point7 said:
If anyone hasn't seen the "unbreakable" auto lock pro - I use one on my Vert. It locks the brake pedal in place. Won't prevent a flat bed from coming and taking your ride (nothing will if they want it), but they would not be able to drive the car. With the rest of the anti-theft features it's a great tool to use.

I was going to mention that lock. The brake pedal is said to be the strongest part of the car. The "Club" is put to shame against this lock. Very nice design.

I just optioned out of all these tools, I just got Lowjack on my beast.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
5point7 said:

Well, as those go...if a thief has a few minutes and a hack saw, all they need do is cut the actual pedal off the metal 'arm' and off goes the auto lock. Then it CAN be driven away (the thief just needs to keep a foot on what is left of the stalk to keep using the brake easily).

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not that easy jjs, but if someone wants your car bad enough, they will get it regardless of what you have. Quickness is key in stealing - if it's not quick and easy they mostly move on.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
5point7 said:
Not that easy jjs, but if someone wants your car bad enough, they will get it regardless of what you have. Quickness is key in stealing - if it's not quick and easy they mostly move on.
I never said it would be easy, I simply indicated that even with one of these items, a can CAN be driven.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Gun!!!

jjs said:
Well, as those go...if a thief has a few minutes and a hack saw, all they need do is cut the actual pedal off the metal 'arm' and off goes the auto lock. Then it CAN be driven away (the thief just needs to keep a foot on what is left of the stalk to keep using the brake easily).
REALLY? I don't trust everything I see, but the makers of the pedal lock say that a hack saw would take an hour to hack through the pedal metal.

Of course they want to sell locks and will say almost anything but I thought it made sense.

All you need is the Lowjack early warning system and a gun and you'll be fine :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recommend getting a Clifford Alarm with an anti-carjacking feature. I have one on my show truck. I paid about $700 for it when it first came out, I'm not sure how much they run now, but it was well worth it and will be getting one put on my 300C soon. This alarm has a coded valet switch. Every time you start the car you need to put in a code, otherwise the car will die next time it slows down to a stop. It may seem like a hassle at first, but it soon became routine, just like putting on my seatbelt. It gives you that extra peace-of-mind, knowing somebody could have the keys to your car, and it would still be safe.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
My brother's Vette locked up on him on the freeway, could have been a disaster. Given all the "minor glitches" of the C just as well they left it off. The key is a chip key so it won't start without a chip no need for a steering lock. Check out gone in 60 seconds to see how easy it is to steal a car, great movie as well.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
I was really glad to see the steering lock gone. The serious thief is going to winch your 300 up onto a flatbed and drive away, regardless of how much you spend on aftermarket alarms. This method of theft does very little, if any damage to your car.

Theft prevention is difficult. Only a GPS tracking system alarm will be of any real use for quick recovery.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Theft prevention is difficult. Only a GPS tracking system alarm will be of any real use for quick recovery.
True, true!

I have Lowjack and even it has its flaws. Lets just say I was a Lowjack tech. I would know the main spots they put the trackers.

Tear up that part of the carpet out, grab the gizmos and gadgets and throw them out of the window.

Woohoo free car!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
First300Owner; that is why you have the secondary back-up, (the gun) that you mentioned in your earlier post. At least if you know it is being stolen, and you can get to the approx. location, you may be able to stop them.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Model 57 said:
First300Owner; that is why you have the secondary back-up, (the gun) that you mentioned in your earlier post. At least if you know it is being stolen, and you can get to the approx. location, you may be able to stop them.
True blue!!! Nailed it.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
what ever happened to the device developed 15 yrs ago by a Baltimore preacher shown on CNN. He had a pager hooked up to his ignition and he called the pager which shut off the ignition, the car stopped in its tracks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd just use some massive anchor chains and lock that sucka to a tree.

My dad used to keep a HUGE chain like that in his ZR-1.

My Aunt was a NYC Detective. She told me this story of some expensive car that had all sorts of gismos: fuel cutoff, battery disconnect, steering wheel lock, and the sensor alarm. The theives were able to disable all of those things, but couldn't get drive the car away...because the owner had chained it to a tree. A stupid $20 chain worked better than all the other things combined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts