Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe that this nav/head unit cannot display the name of the CD that's playing (a commercial cd) nor does it give the name of the track.

Anyone figure out how to make it do that? It's GOT to be a programming option somewhere. The things's a two thousand dollar cd player! Who specs these things for Chrysler anyway? The same guy who decides to pup paper cone speakers in the car and call them Boston Acoustic? :nutkick:

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
It should, if the CD has an ID3 (or similar info) tag. You might try burning your own cd and see if those show the titles. Maybe the commercial cd doesn't have the info encoded? I use mine almost exclusively with Mp3 disks now so I set the tags and they show without issue, but it's been a while since my original cds have been in the changer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Most comercail CD dont carry that infomation AFAIK. I have yet to put one in my car and have it display anything other than CD# and track#.

ON your computer it looks it up on line and gves you the infomation.

Hell burn the damn thing to MP3 drop it into a folder on a CD and a few more Cd's and rock out

-Robert

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll make an mp3 this morning and see. It's hard to believe that commercial cd's would come with empty ID fields these days. But I'm bitching about having to carry so many CD's - this will help solve that problem (until whatchamajigger releases his ipod-enabled accessory adapter). Then.. look out! 60gb of music at your fingertips!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
rob nailed it on the head exactly. I typically get about 6-7 cds worth of music on 1 cd with quality (VBR) mp3 settings. So in theory I have about 36-42 cds in my car at any given time with the changer. Works for me! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I burned one and nothing came up. I'll go check the tags when I get home from the office. You may have solved a big mystery for me, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zenhog, some commercial CD's have the information and if so the unit will show it. Most CD's do not, though.
If you burn an MP3 CD, make sure your software uses ID tags of the older version or it won 't show them. There are other discussions here about how to get the tags right if you are interested.

In general, the CD player is totally over priced - it is mediocre at best and uses none of its possible capabilities. Like, why can't it scroll through the tags? We have a huge screen and its for nothing.

Marc

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Marc for the explanation. I used MusicMatch to burn the one cd and I'm sure it used the new ID type. I'll look for the thread that tells about the older ID. I remember musicmatch sometime saying it can do that type as well, just have to specify it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
zenhog said:
Thanks Marc for the explanation. I used MusicMatch to burn the one cd and I'm sure it used the new ID type. I'll look for the thread that tells about the older ID. I remember musicmatch sometime saying it can do that type as well, just have to specify it. Thanks again.
iTunes. MusicMatch? Please, it is 2005 going 2006. Also, have you tried the "info" button when playing?

iTunes...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL

the iTunes will come when I get tired of having all kinds of capability with my iRiver player and switch to the iPod. That'll happen as soon as Jon gets that aux input device ready. How are you feeding your iTunes into your player - FM?

·
Registered
170 Posts
zenhog said:
LOL

the iTunes will come when I get tired of having all kinds of capability with my iRiver player and switch to the iPod. That'll happen as soon as Jon gets that aux input device ready. How are you feeding your iTunes into your player - FM?
Hi Zen,

I have it done on my truck since I put LCDs in the headrests. I use an iPod video for the kids...why the world has not gone this way? No DVDs sliding around getting scratched, no CDs cluttering anything up and hours upon hours of Bug's Life, Incredibles, Batman, etc...and quiet rug rats. Ahhhh, bliss on so many levels. Did I also mention my favorite tunes too? :banana:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorbs said:
Hi Zen,

I have it done on my truck since I put LCDs in the headrests. I use an iPod video for the kids...why the world has not gone this way? No DVDs sliding around getting scratched, no CDs cluttering anything up and hours upon hours of Bug's Life, Incredibles, Batman, etc...and quiet rug rats. Ahhhh, bliss on so many levels. Did I also mention my favorite tunes too? :banana:
Yeah, I think I'm getting close to moving to the next upgrade of car electronics - carputers. By replacing the nav screen with a computer touch screen we can do all kinds of cool stuff like:

**Playback DVD movies from media or your car's hard drive. Listen to MP3s or CD audio from your car's hard drive with visualizations. Transfer music wirelessly to your car from your house.

**Use GPS navigation to receive directions, display your location, remotely track your vehicle, point of interest tracking (speed trap, red-light cameras) and show your speed. Eliminate the limited nav functions and have the ability to beam addresses into your nav system, use a touch screen to set up or alter the nav programming, and do that on the fly without having to stop the car.

**Integrate your cell phone with your car using Bluetooth technology through the CPU. This allows you to send text messages, display battery status, access your phone book, display signal quality, dial numbers directly from phone book, display a picture of person who is calling, and mute your stereo when someone calls your phone. For those of us with the dummied-down Uconnect (and similar systems) which barely front-end the phone we have in our pocket, the carputer takes full advantage of the combination of a full blown programmable CPU with the phone. Wouldn't it be nice to have a system that doesn't need you to do voice entry of items into a duplicate phone book (in the car's system) - it actually reads the phone book off your cell phone and uses it or can use it's own internal outlook contact list - which could be wirelessly synchronized with your office or home computer's files.

**Connect your carputer to your vehicle computer to view diagnostics, mobile internet (instant messaging, email, and WWW), backup/remote cameras, game consoles (Xbox, etc.). Control your programmable engine processor (superchip programmer) from a touch screen.

The 300c is a great example of an "almost" with technology (other cars like BMW's or the Accura TL aren't much better) in that they "almost got it right". How many times have you thought "if only they would have integrated...".

All this stuff is being done with carputers.

A good web site that has this kind of info, products to support it, installs that members have done and an active forum is

http://www.mp3car.com/features.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts