Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my car recently started not starting up with no crank. At first the car started dying when I would drive it to places. I would drive to Walmart and come back to my car 10 minutes later and would not start/crank at all. The battery and alternator tests perfect every time and the battery works even if the car doesn't start (lights and radio work). I replaced the starter and it worked for 2 weeks and started doing the same thing again. And on cold days it DOES start but when it gets above 75 degrees it wont start. I took it to a friend that works for the dealership (has his own diagnostic system in his house). He told me that it was and ECU issue and it would cost about $3,000 to fix and that even replacing that may still not fix the car. So its basically a gamble and I cannot drive my car to other shops for a second opinion because it may not start if I take it anywhere. I am trying to see if anyone has heard of similar issues and how they fixed it. I saw similar issues but they said it was the starter. I cannot afford to gamble $3,000 right now as my hours are cut due to coronavirus.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What happens when it won't start, cranks but doesn't fire, cranks slow, refuses to crank but makes noise, or nothing at all?

You're saying it won't start if the outside temp is above 75 degrees?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it’s a push to start. When I push on the breaks and push the button there is no cranking and no noise from anything. The cars gauges and lights come on but just no engine action. It seems to only start in cold temperatures for some reason. It sounds dumb but it’s true

·
Registered
102 Posts
So basically when you push the brake and start button it acts as if you haven't touched the brake? Will it start with the remote?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now the car does go into the “run” position instead of “off” but the engine isn’t on just the lights and radio. I did try the remote start but it doesn’t work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm rather limited here, I understand the tech but haven't owned by 300 long so don't know enough details yet to get specific. If I was in your place i'd dig into it the electronics. The way it's acting it's like the starter is blocked as if you're not pushing on the brake or some other safety measure. But if it won't start with the remote then it's not the brake as that's not required for remote start.

If I was in your place I'd probably start by finding the wire to the start solenoid and jumping/hot wiring it. This will allow you to isolate the the starter as an issue and maybe start the car when it refuses.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A thought, when I start mine I hear the fuel pump going before it cranks/starts. Do you hear the fuel pump running when you try and start yours?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There's a well known issue over here on our CRD models with the wiring to the starter motor. Basically the small exciter wire and terminal become loose/corroded where the wire meets the starter. Cleaning/tightening/replacing that fixes what is an intermittent no-starting issue. Don't know if yours is wired the same but it's an easy fix and well worth checking out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have replaced the ECU in the car and it didn’t work. I made sure it was programmed to my VIN. I replaced the relay for the starter also didn’t work. I’m basically at a loss. I do hear clicks coming from the throttle body and I do have the red lightning bolt light on in my dash but that might just mean there’s an electrical issue somewhere

1 - 9 of 9 Posts