Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post here.

I got hit by someone backing out of a driveway. No damage, the plastic license plate frame took the punisment. It was dark and I had turned the lights and engine off. The key was in the ignition but turned off.

I tried to honk the horn but no luck. Is this normal? Is there a TSR out on this?

Previously I had air conditionar trouble and a dealer in California fixed it by reprograming the computer module. I wonder if this caused the horn not working problem with engine off? This happens with computer bug fixes.

I hate to take it back to the local dealer and wind up with a fix for the horn and also wind up with the same AC problem. NO AC is not fun in July and August on a long trip.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

HKS in Lincoln NE

·
Registered
247 Posts
yes thats a feature (in ur case though, that wouda helped if u had the horn...)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Yes as JB007 says, the horn does not work with the ignition off.

We have debated this "feature" a lot of times here on the Forum and the consensus is, what a stupid idea.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can also not flash the highbeams with the car shut off, I noticed the other day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dealer Lied to me

The dealer called back and said the horn should work.

After seeing your responses, I called again. They tried 3 cars and found it did not work. I was on the phone for 5 minutes. I think it took them one minute to find out it does not work and 4 minutes to think up another excuse. They said that the reason for the first answer was that the managers car had remote start. So, If you have remote start, your horn works with engine off. Can anyone verify this for me.

HKS

Hello, this is my first post here.

I got hit by someone backing out of a driveway. No damage, the plastic license plate frame took the punisment. It was dark and I had turned the lights and engine off. The key was in the ignition but turned off.

I tried to honk the horn but no luck. Is this normal? Is there a TSR out on this?

Previously I had air conditionar trouble and a dealer in California fixed it by reprograming the computer module. I wonder if this caused the horn not working problem with engine off? This happens with computer bug fixes.

I hate to take it back to the local dealer and wind up with a fix for the horn and also wind up with the same AC problem. NO AC is not fun in July and August on a long trip.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

HKS in Lincoln NE

·
Registered
247 Posts
ootlink i think is right, as i have remote start and i still cannot honk the horn with the car off

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Yeah, and with the can-bus, hooking into wiring wrong, can lead to some interesting results - it's kinda like taking an AC adaptor, wiring it into some Cat5, and plugging it into your router - I bet some interesting things happen!

Not to mention NOISE can be introduced by cheap/improperly installed/malfunctioning components, allowing more weird things to happen! XD

I know Chrysler's kit is for the most part plug and play, hopefully, as long as the installer knows what they're doing and have good instructions, it should be okay. Of course, granted we still have problems with dealers stuffing 10W30 into hemi engines, putting tires that only work one way on backwards while rotating, and well, you know.. yeah. It doesn't surprise me :)

Granted, at the dealers I've been to, they say there's different people for the oil changes and for the more complex work, I wouldn't be surprised if on a really busy day or whatever they call the less experienced guys in to try and help out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts